Sunday, January 27, 2019

YOP Week #31

Finishes:
1)  Ben's Bear's Hat - it's off in the mail to him!  I used Knit Pick's Mighty Stitch worsted weight yarn which comes in lots of colors and has a little wool in it but you can still wash and dry in the machine. The pattern is the Bankhead on Ravelry.  I cannot remember if it was a pay for pattern or not but it is a good one.  The brim gets a little tedious but it is really a nice pattern and very easy to memorize.
2)  This was Our Happy CAL Place project for this week and I love it!  I'll be making these for all my kleenix boxes around the house and maybe for gifts too?  What a great way to use up little scraps of yarn.  I'm thinking of making one of those magic balls with the small scraps and seeing how that works.  It uses worsted weight and the pattern is free on Our Happy CAL Place if you join in.  I need to post my shawl and my tissue box over there!  This was fun and the pattern was very easy to follow as it was a tutorial with pictures.
3)  The Falling Leaves Scarf is finally done...I needed to block it but I knew if I called it a 'finish' before blocking it would never get blocked....I know me!  I use those children's alphabet squares for blocking mats.  I got them at Good Will for $4.00 ....S C O R E !!!
 3 finishes in one week?  I think that is probably a first for me!

 WIPs (works in progress): 
1)  I did work on the monthly Our Happy CAL place shawl...I keep forgetting to put in a progress keeper.  It is slow going now that it is bigger.  I'll just make it as big as the yarn lasts.

2)I'm working on a a very old WIP that actually got frogged................but I am a better knitter now and enjoying it much more............plus I am using wooden needles instead of metal which were too slippery for me.........

After washing the shawl which wasn't dirty I used the water to wash some socks.......I threw in some Unstoppables and my whole house smells fresh and clean (and trust me it isn't LOL!).  BTW I got that orange plastic bucket specifically for washing woolens.  It was $1 at the Dollar Tree.  Do you use sock blockers for your socks or just lay them out?  Which is better?  


TOP 10 WIP's:

1) DONE - Falling Leaves scarf - needs blocking
2)  Pickle Dish
3)  America x-stitch - done but needs finishing
4)  Amy's Frido Kahlo basket (July birthday) - done but needs to be sewn together
5)  Pin's embroidery
6)  Heart bookmark for V-Day - done but needs backing
7)  Toe-up socks
8)  DONE - Ben's hat
9)  Multnomah shawl
10. C2C blanket for Grayson (July birthday) 
11. (breaking the rules already!) Granny Triangle shawl for Our Happy CAL Place January CAL
12. DONE - Granny tissue box cover

NEW STARTS: none this week except the tissue box cover which is done already but I might start another one....so fun and practical!


 Finishes so far in 2018-19: 
1.  4th of July cross stitch pillow/ornie
2.  Hitchhiker shawl
3.  Felici Hibiscus self-striping socks
4.  Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles for me Sam
5.  washcloth (extra large) and back scrubber for Christmas or birthday for SIL
6.   Iowa Hawkeye hats for Sam and Grayson
7.  Techniques learned so far this year: a) knit cast on, b) reading a knitting chart, c) lace work, d) inserting and using a lifeline e) charting a graphghan
8.   dishcloth(s)...I need to count them
9. Cubs hat for Uriah
10. 12 days of Christmas Advent gifts
11. Cowl for Ben
12. Cowl for Tracy
13. Cowl for Natalie
14.  # 2018 Collectible ornaments for the grands
15.  Cowl for me or gift basket
16.  11 scrubbies for gift basket
17.  1 pot handle cover for gift basket
18.  Ben's Bear's hat
19.  Falling Leaves Scarf
20.  Tissue Box Cover

I need to get my socks out this week hopefully.  I'll see how many WIPs I have going....usually 3 per week is all I can manage to work on.....but I get to pick which ones! LOL!

Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!
















11 comments:

  1. Well done 3 FOs this week. I blocked my first socks but didn’t for the ones I made my dad and husband as my blocker is too small. I’d say each yarn has acted differently, the Regia Pairfect really could do with blocking after each wash, but local dyed yarn seems fine without blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, all your projects are lovely, BUT, inquiring minds (new to your blog) are wondering did you make the white blanket (?) that they are sitting on as a background. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, about 20 years ago! LOL! It is crocheted to look like it is squares but it is all one piece and actually it is yellow but Iknow I don't take the best of pictures. I've made several of them over the years and I've been thinking of making another one as they are so enjoyable to make. I'm pretty sure it is on my Ravelry project page but if not let me know and I will find it. I know it's on Ravelry and is a Leisure Arts pattern from a book but you can buy just the pattern.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for accomplishments!!!!!!

    "Unstoppables"... ???

    Will have to look that up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unstoppables are scented pellets you put in your washing machine and they make your clothes smell fresh for a long time.

      Delete
  4. I have had the Falling Leaves scarf in my queue since...well, it was among the first I ever queued so that was maybe 10ish years ago. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Sam on 3 finishes this week and all lovely ones! On the blocking socks front, I don't block them when I'm finished them and when I wash them I just lay them out flat here or on the airer. The only time I blocked them was when I designed them and I needed shots of them. I use the blockers now for taking a picture of them, as you'll see on my post this week, and that's only because it helps show the pattern lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow (?) I often have 2-3 projects going at once but tend to work on just one until it's finished. Don't know how you find the time to work on so many different ones each week.

    I have never blocked the socks I've knitted. (Am I bad?) After washing, they get smoothed into shape and hung on the pull-out drying rack in the bathroom. Don't toss them in the dryer even if the particular yarn says it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely finishes! The hat is a lovely and I'm sure will be much appreciated. The tissue covers are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three finishes! That is wonderful. I love how the hat turned out. I use sock blockers for the first wash or two and after that I just throw them in the washing machine and hang them to dry on the rack in the laundry room. They turn out great. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. شركة سكاي لخدمات نقل العفش والاثاث بالمنطقة العربية السعودية نحن نوفر خدمات نقل اثاث بالرياض ونقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة ونقل عفش بمكة ونقل عفش بالطائف نحن نقدم افضل نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط ونقل عفش بجدة
    شركة سكاي نقل العفش
    مدونة لنقل العفش

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!