Friday, February 1, 2019

Heat's on!

It wasn't too bad last night.  This house is really well insulated and the fact that it stayed above freezing helped too.  I had a fire going in the fireplace.........
and I have wall heaters in both bathrooms but I would never leave them going unattended for very long.  I called the HVAC people at 7:00 a.m. this morning and he was here by 8:00 but I did tell them I wasn't happy about not receiving a call back last night.  That was their after hours phone number and I called at 4:30 p.m.....really people?  Today wasn't as productive as I would have liked but I was just glad I had heat again.  It was the 'igniter' which isn't an expensive part so I hope the bill isn't too high.

Remember the cookies my daughter got me at Christmas in my Advent gifts........here they are.........

 Well, you know what a copycat I am so, I looked for a recipe and found this one from the New York Times and it was spot on!  It is a 'roll out' cookie which I really don't like to mess with.  I made the dough and shaped it into logs and put them in the freezer.  I took one out after about 30 minutes and sliced it up..........

It filled one cookie sheet which was just right for me.  I forgot to take a picture after they came out of the oven as I was in a hurry to taste them.  They aren't as cute as Annas but they taste the same and that is the bottom line for me! LOL!
Oh, here's the picture of the 3rd bookcase...............not sure this method is working for me but we'll see.
It got to 50 today and 60's this weekend so I think the 'cold snap' is over.  I have Adjuga(sp?) (a weed or a flower depending on your perspective) blooming in my yard and the daffodils are up about 3 inches......crazy!
I hope you all warm up this weekend unless you are somewhere where you are warm enough! LOL!
Happy Trails!!! 



10 comments:

  1. So glad you are warm! Those cookies sound delicious and you froze them in the perfect size. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gravy.. you would think that an HVAC co. would have a 24hr. hotline, esp. with the frigid temperatures. Go figure.
    So glad you had another source of heat. We have a gas fireplace on one floor and a wood burning stove on another, and it sure gives me peace of mind to have auxiliary heat source.

    Good job on the cookies. I love ginger cookies too!

    Thanks for your kind comments on my posts; sure appreciate it!
    Hmmm, our maiden voyage in the travel trailer will most likely be to a state park, close to home, just in case..~LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fire looks so good! We're in a warming trend, which is most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well somehow I missed yesterday‘s post about your furnace not working. I’m sure glad they got out and fixed it for you today, but doggone it they should have called you yesterday. Sure happy you have that fireplace to help keep you warm. The cookies look and sound delicious. Who cares if they’re not super cute, it’s the taste that matters isn’t it? The English muffins you made yesterday sure looked good too. I can almost smell the sourdough starter. I’m impressed you’re plugging away on the bookcases. I haven’t had the strength to face our bookcases yet. I’m sure glad that you have your heat back and you all stayed safe and warm through the night. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't get so cold here this winter, but I don't really like anything below 60 F. We seem to be on a warming trend with temps nearing 70 this coming week which is just about right for me. :) The cookies look like they turned out great. Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather you're having right now is what we get for our "spring time" which usually occurs in May sometime right before winter gives up and summer arrives! Enjoy the warmer temps. We are, too, but our warmer temps are currently climbing way up to nearly 20F above zero!! Different strokes for different folks, eh? :o)

    Glad to hear your furnace was a quick fix and, hopefully, not too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having no heat scares me! I'm glad you had that nice wood stove going, that must have done a great job heating the house! Oh the cookies....I make a similar type of ice box cookie and I cut it SO thinly...I have to use my fishing knife to get it that thin lol! :) I think I'll bake something sweet today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for the fix, even is it was "eventually".

    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. Igniters are usually not too expensive...you could have replaced that yourself! The service call will be double the price of the part I would guess. Glad you stayed warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm catching up today and didn't realize you lost your heat. So glad you got your heat back and you're doing well, Sam!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!