Thursday, November 29, 2018

Day #29 NaBloPoMo


I did a little bit of everything today.  It was a good day and I got to talk to my son Ben for a good long time this morning.  That rarely happens as he is usually busy morning and night so it was really nice.  It was cloudy but warm today so I got the rest of the outside cleaned up from Fall decorations and took the pumpkin out back for the deer.  I wonder if they'll eat it whole or should I smash it up for them?  I'm not even sure deer like pumpkin.  Does anyone know?
I made some Christmas gifts too and then I went to make my pumpkin roll.....remember that was going to be for Thanksgiving?  Well, in looking closer at the recipe it called for 2 smaller size cookie sheets/jelly roll pans.  I only have the big ones so..............I had seen a recipe for pumpkin bread with the cream cheese filling in the middle so I opted for that instead.
It turned out great and I've tasted it too and yummo!  Much easier than a roll so I think this will be my recipe from now on.  The only problem I had was he said to put 1 1/2 cups of batter in the pan and then the cream cheese mixture and then the remainder of the batter....well...that was too much on the bottom and not enough batter left for on top so instead of the cream cheese mixture being in the middle it is near the top.  Just put half on the bottom and half on top and don't measure! LOL!  The cake is moist and fine crumbed and so good.  I even found a recipe for how to make your own pumpkin pie spice as it is pricey to buy.
I'll be making this again for sure.  I'm on my second piece and I haven't had supper yet.  Life is short....dessert first!
The storm clouds are moving in for the rain we're supposed to get yet there is nothing on the radar or even in the whole state.  I'd like to know what those weather people are looking at.
Those gusty winds we had took the remainder of the leaves off the trees.................
Winter cometh!  What were you up to today?
Happy Trails!!!




7 comments:

  1. Your pumpkin roll looks delicious. I bet it would make a good breakfast, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pumpkin bread looks and sounds amazing. Would you share the recipe with us or give us the link if there is one? Winter is here too. Snow tomorrow and Saturday. I’m glad you had a nice chat with your son today. It always makes the day special for me when I get to talk to one of my kids too. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the recipe:

      INGREDIENTS Cream cheese filling: 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1 tsp flour 1 large egg 1 tsp vanilla extract Pumpkin bread: 1-1/2 cups flour 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 1/2 cup flavorless oil, such as canola, corn, vegetable 2 large eggs 1 cup pure pumpkin purée 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract INSTRUCTIONS 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. 2. For the cream cheese part: In a bowl using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and sugar, beat until smooth. Add egg, vanilla and the flour, beat until smooth. Set aside. 3. For the pumpkin bread: In a bowl, whisk together, pumpkin purée, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until well combined. 4. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice to the pumpkin mixture, stir until well combined 5. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top of this layer and spread evenly, then add the remaining batter. 6. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1hr and 15m or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover the bread with aluminum foil 15 minutes before being done. Allow to cool completely before slicing it.

      Delete
  3. Yes deer love pumpkins! Either way...they will usually smash them with their hooves:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pumpkin bread! We eat dessert first one in a while. Why not? We are adults now and can do as we please! A phone call from one of your children is always a nice way to spend part of your day. So nice you got that today. As for the weather........The rain was in Nevada and ended up making snow in our mountains. Arkansas is a far piece away from Arizona, so I have no idea what your weather folk were looking at LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pumpkin bread looks great Sam...good for you for having dessert first!! :) We put our pumpkins out in the back woods every year too, but I have no idea what critter goes for them because they are always gone by the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have I ever mentioned to you that I also have a son named Ben? I'm glad you had a good long talk with his today. Your pumpkin bread looks and sounds delicious. Mmmmmm Thank you for typing out the recipe!

    Winter cometh! (sigh) Must it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!