Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Day #28 NaBloPoMo

Today was a much better day and I didn't push myself.  I took a nice leisurely bath when I got up and then watched some YouTube videos and printed off some crafting recipes.  I made a small list and went to Walmart but before that I took my books back to the library and got some more.  I only have 12 books to go to meet my Goodreads Challenge of 75 books.  I got more books at the library and I cannot tell a lie....I am looking for smaller books to help meet my challenge...lol!

I did have some finishes that I hadn't told you about.............
I'm pretty sure this was a re-read but it was so long ago that it was really good to read it again.  I want to read her latest book that was published after she died so I thought it would be good to re-read this one.  It is the one book that won awards that I agree was a great book!
There is a little town in Iowa, Wilton, that I visited because they had a famous ice cream parlor where Gregory Peck stopped many years ago.  They had all the original booths and soda fountain equipment and even the menu hadn't changed.  They had me sit in the booth where Gregory Peck sat and I ordered the exact same meal that he had......I think it was a patty melt, fries and a chocolate malt (a real malt with malted milk powder which no one makes anymore) it was good!  So, if you're ever in Wilton, Iowa stop by the only ice cream parlor in town if it's still open and have The Gregory Peck Special!
 I read this one and it was good as all Janette Oke books are....her books give you hope in people and our world or at least take you back to a gentler time.  It also shows that everyone has problems but it's how you surmount them with God's help that makes all the difference..........
 This was an audio book I listened to and he is funny once you get used to the English accent........
 I bought this book at the Duluth Nautical Museum some years back but never read it....go figure!  Now I have and it was very interesting...........especially since I've been there...just to the lake....not in a shipwreck.....thank goodness!

 I also finished a magazine....Real Simple December 2011 issue...the recipes were the best part....I'll be cutting those out...............Christmas cookies!
 Plus, I try to do a Sodoku puzzle every night to keep the neurons firing! LOL!

 Now, as to what I am currently reading............I started this but then put it down because it was so huge and I was behind on my challenge..........but I really wanted to read it so I started over reading it and I will read it along with my 'smaller' books to meet my challenge.  It is the 2nd book in The Outlander series.............it is violent and explicit and there are sex scenes but the story is historic and the women are strong and it is darn good reading!  I usually don't care for any explicit language or scenes or violence but for some reason I am able to overlook it as the story is so fascinating and the writing is so good.  It is historic fiction and I think the author is an historian or a professor of history....don't quote me on that but she sure knows her stuff!
This is another book that I re-read every once in awhile.  It is really the first book I read that led me to creating a 'cozy' atmosphere in my home.  She can be a little too 'la de da' for me but I take from it what fits for me.  It is very inspiring and you can emulate it on any budget....I have. 
Before I show you my future reads and what I got at the library.....I forgot to show you this darling  card I got from my daughter and her family...........so precious and so thoughtful!

Now for 'coming attractions'...............another Janette Oke
and another..............
Time to start reading and watching those Christmas books and movies!
and a knitting book I had never seen before..........I will enjoy perusing it tonight when I get into bed......
I watched a cute Christmas movie the other night.  I think Betsy recommended it and it was cute.  I enjoyed it.  I think it was The Christmas Chronicles?  It was on Netflix.  I've also been watching Roots and Refuge podcasts and Priscilla and Chelsea.  Lots of tutorials on sewing and making and another one called Farm Hunter who visits old abandoned farm houses in Minnesota.  That's it for now!  I hope you had a great day.  It was cloudy, windy and cool here...in the 40's but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 66F then Friday storms.....love it!  I like variety in weather.....a good storm is something I look forward to....as long as the power stays on! LOL!
Happy Trails!!!  



6 comments:

  1. I re-read all my Christmas themed mystery books each December. Last year my daughter in law got me two books that were in a series. They were spaced out in the series, but both Christmas themed. Great stories about a girl that owns a vintage store, maybe in Memphis or down south? I spent today looking for them and still can't find them. Meanwhile I am in the middle of Leslie Meier's Christmas Cookie Murder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Janette Oke in years but I know they are all good. Hope you stay warm and keep the power ON!!! Enjoy your day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually laughed out loud when I read “la de da!” My mom used to say that all of the time and I think it quite often. I’m more of a down to earth type of person. I think about comfort instead of trying to impress others. I have almost all of Janette Oake’s books. I, too, love her style of writing and the messages she brings through her books. I think the holiday in itting book looks quite interesting. I have read very few books this year and have fallen far short of my goal. Too much knitting, not enough reading. :-). I hope you have a wonderful day today my friend.
    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see some books in there I might like to read. I am reminded that I have some Christmas books I really should pull out! I've never Read Janette Oke, but based on the various comments I think I might be missing out. The weather here is suppose to reach 60 by Sunday. I need it to warm up so I can put the storm windows up in my doors. It's been too cold to tackle that job. Brrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great books there. I still have the Janet Oake books on my to read list. They just might be next once I finish the three I have now. When you said Wilton Iowa, I wondered if that was where Wilton cake decorating items got made. WOW........was I way off on that one. Gregory Peck is a much cooler story than cake items. Did you notice I am slowly catching up on all your blog posts? It was so hard to do this at the hotel with the super slow WiFi. I think they used dial up LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!