Saturday, November 24, 2018

Day #24 NaBloPoMo

I don't have too much to show because it was Craft Day here on the homestead and most of my crafting is for Christmas so it's 'top secret' except for tomorrow on YOP post.  But I thought I would share a few tips on my turkey stock from yesterday.  I simply added the carcass to my stockpot, plus 2 onions quartered, 4 celery stalks chopped so they fit, and 4 carrots peeled and chopped so they fit.  Fill the pot with water to cover and a bit more.  Add some peppercorns and bring to a boil.  Once it comes to a boil turn it down to simmer and let it simmer all day without a lid until it is about 1/2 the volume you started with.  I actually mark the outside of my pan with a magic marker (it comes right off my stainless steel pan).  I let it cool overnight and then get out my quart ziplock plastic bags and mark them with the date and amount (2 cups in each) and what it is.
The trick is getting it out of the pan and into the bags so here's my method.........I first empty the pan with the stock into a pitcher.  I place the bag inside a container that will hold it comfortably and allow me to fold it over the rim.  I then use my 3 cup plastic measure and pour 2 cups from the pitcher into it and then from the measuring cup into the bag.  It may dirty a few more items but it is well worth it as I have made some big messes in the past trying to bypass the previous steps!
2 cups per bag allows some airspace so they will lay flat and you can freeze them.   They take up less space in your freezer and once frozen you can actually stand them up if need be and slide them on the side of your freezer so they're easy to grab.  I was able to get 4 bags for a total of 8 cups of stock just from a turkey breast carcass.  I was happy!

Since I can't show you what I am spending most of my time on...I did relax last evening with my mindless cozy memories blanket..............that I can show you although you're probably sick of seeing it! LOL!
 It's getting so big I can't fit the whole blanket in the picture.....that's a good thing!
Before I leave you for the evening I thought I would share some more Thanksgiving humor with you.  I know I have a sick sense of humor but my favorite thing in the world, I think, is laughing and this one made me laugh!
Happy Trails!!!






8 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining how you make stock. I think, in the past, I have boiled it to get it to reduce, but I end up with something that doesn't look appetizing. I will try your simmer instruction next time. Your pour method is genius! I have little gadget that will holds the top of the bag, and keeps it upright while filling, but for something like stock, I'd be afraid it would slip out and make a real mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention I use a funnel too....you can see it in the picture....it's white sitting in the bag.

      Delete
  2. I am laughing so hard at that last cartoon that I'm going to have to get up and show my hubby what in the world has tears coming out of my eyes! Thanks for the laughs my friend! hahahahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post. Thank you for your recipe and step by step instructions. I always make a mess when pouring so I’m glad for the handy hints as well. Funny cartoon.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tire of seeing your memory blanket. Your cartoon has me chuckling. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freezing broth in bags is a great idea. Definitely would take up less room than any other kind of container.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!