Saturday, November 17, 2018

Day #17 NaBloPoMo

Yes, a vanilla pumpkin ale and I deserve it!
It was a gorgeous day..sunny and in the low 70's............I had to take advantage of it as rain is coming and lower temps tomorrow..  So..........I made my baby greens greenhouse................I think I mentioned watching Roots and Refuge Farm podcast and she showed how to do this so you can have baby greens in the winter..........how wonderful!   You take a large plastic storage container and lay the lid on the ground where it will get sun all day.  You cut open a bag of soil like the picture shows.  I had to remove some dirt as there was too much.  Smooth it out and break up any lumps and sprinkle your seeds over it.  I used what I had which was some kind of lettuce and some kale seeds.  The object is that you will clip them when young and they will grow back and you will have a steady supply of 'baby greens' all winter..... 
I have this great mister that you can purchase for $10 at Me and My Stitches and it is great!  I need more as I use it for everything....it is great for misting the seeds so they don't wash into one spot.
No batteries required...it's the bees knees!  I then put the container on top and it should stay warm and moist.  I'll keep you informed on their progress.  She says if it gets super cold you can mulch the container with straw or leaves or anything you have.  You do have to remember to water it too.
I also washed some windows.....I had to take advantage of the weather....it won't stay this way forever!  These were dinner napkins...you can see the folds but the other curtains went in the wash and I don't like living in a fishbowl so I put those up.....there was more for the middle window too but it was so pretty I thought I'd take a picture before putting up the rest of the curtains.
I had phone calls today which put me behind so no pizza tonight.  Just a bowl of organic chicken noodle soup from Progresso.  I made the molasses cookie dough and even had the oven pre-heated but after the calls I covered it with saran wrap and turned off the oven.....I'm beat!  Time to recline!
I got up at 3:30 so it's been a full day.
What were you up to today?  I hope you had lovely weather where you are or stayed inside your cozy abode!
Happy Trails!!!

9 comments:

  1. You were busy today. Certainly took advantage of the sunshine! Can't wait to see your baby greens sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure looking forward to seeing how your greens garden does. I’m thinking it would be way too cold up here in the north to do that, but will be fun to see how your does. You sure were busy washing windows too! What a difference a few days makes on the weather isn’t it?
    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your greens garden looks interesting. Hopefully you will ve loaded with greens all winter long.n the Pumpkin ale sounds yummy. Might have to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a mister. I use a spray bottle that I can adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam :) I hope your greens work!! Mine didn't last year, but it was just too cold here. Oh pumpkin ale, cheers!!! I used to be a beer drinker, but lost my taste for it when I started to become a wino so to speak lol! :) I watch Roots and Refuge at times, I like her tomato instructional videos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have good luck with your greens! It looks like an interesting project! Sure hope it works for you! Andy picked up Jen and they went home and took the dogs so it is a quiet day now...sure miss them. We have to suck it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing how your greens grow! It's a great idea if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh btw Sam (sorry it took so long to respond...I haven't even got to my comments yet!!)...I DO preheat the oven with the stone in it. I used to keep the stone in the oven all the time, but our oven isn't very good and I found it was messing with the temperature so I only put it in when I make bread or pizzas. I hope you liked the crust!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!