Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Day #14 NaBloPoMo

I'm so happy to be blogging earlier than usual...but it's because I got up at 1:00 a.m.  I try to go back to sleep but then I figure God is giving me extra time to get things done and I go with it!!!  I was going to go to Walmart today but there is a weather advisory for snow and/or freezing rain.....it is almost noon and nothing!  I could have been there and back but it's not worth taking the chance....it's the only car I have!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I've got laundry done, house cleaned up, paid some bills and mailed some letters....and now I just finished making my Thanksgiving menu.......Thanksgiving is a week from this coming Thursday.....where did this year go?
First of all there's this list............you can print it off at The Thrifty Couple

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had to include a few 'funnies' to lighten the stress....not mine....yours! LOL!  But I remember those days....trust me! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This actually isn't funny as it is too true in many families.  I remember going to an in-law's house one time where the guys were in the living room and the son and father were both in recliners.  The wife/mother went in and asked them what they wanted and fixed their plate and took it to them.  I about gagged!  They cook it, they clean it, and they don't sit down all day...that's just nuts.  Yet they stand around and complain about their husbands.  What is wrong with women?  Hello?  I think I must have been born ahead of my time because when I say something people look at me like there is something wrong with me....really?  In my family everyone pitched in until we all sat down and then afterwards  we cleaned it all up.  Many hands make short work and they don't have to all be women's hands. 
I always tell them "where does it state on your birth certificate that you were born into slavery"?  Many women out there need to trade in their "wish bone" for a "back bone".  But then again....I am single! LOL!  But I prefer it that way.  Don't get me wrong, there are many couples who truly are partners and although it may not be 50/50 all the time it evens itself out over time.  But being a martyr is not an attractive look in my mind! LOL! 
Okay, I've stepped down from my soapbox now......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's my Thanksgiving menu for 2018!  Pretty standard but I always try a new recipe or 2.  This year I have a turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, I'm going to try Susan Branch's Sweet Potato Casserole, her homemade cranberry sauce and her Grandmother's stuffing recipe.  I'll make my 24 hour salad, scalloped corn...maybe or Brussels Sprouts.....I love it all!  Good food is one of the great joys of life and let us not forget to donate to our local food banks so no one goes hungry.....ever....


 For dessert I'll be making my first Pumpkin Roll and I'll be using Libby's recipe...the pumpkin people....I don't have a friend named Libby just so you know.



Last but not least here is my little helper....Miss Peeps.....once she heard I was cooking a BIG bird she was all in!  See that look.....she was thinking...."oh please, I hope you're not joking about the bird...please make it be true.  I so want to believe!"  Yes, Miss Peeps, there really is a big bird.
Happy Trails!!!

8 comments:

  1. I have to admit that while I was growing up my dad and brothers were exactly as you described. My poor mom was in the kitchen all day cooking and then cleaning. The guys were in the living room and watching football. Imagine my surprise when I married Dennis. Granted, I still do most of the cooking because I enjoy it, but he always peels the potatoes and other little jobs like that for me. And then, when the dinner is over he and the kids did all of the dishes and sent me out either for a walk or to sit in my chair and relax. I really am married to a saint.
    Your menu sounds wonderful. We are going to a friends house for dinner and all I have to take is the desserts.
    Blessings always,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 4 sons and believe me....they all pitched in and worked as hard as I did...every meal! And I watched football with them too! haha! I love the way you've written out your meal in your journal. I have GOT to do that!!! Stay warm! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not cooking that I know of. Who knows? That pumpkin roll looks great! I am enjoying your blog everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our days are so similar. On Thanksgiving we all pitch in with cooking. Men and woman, boys and girls. After dinner everyone takes care of their own dishes. Then the adults handle the serving dishes and leftovers while the kids go and play. There will be 16 of us this year so lots of hands will make light work indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never baked a pumpkin roll either. We have a friend of the family who makes them, so I've not had the need to do so, but it is on my "bucket" list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning! I mentioned you on my blog this morning....just wanted to let you know! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raised three boys and when we hosted the extended family Thanksgiving for several years, I would find my boys (after dinner) in the kitchen doing the dishes. Without an automatic dishwasher in the house, they learned early that this was a shared (or rotated) chore. To be honest, though, I'm not sure it was their upbringing that drove them into the kitchen after the Thanksgiving meal, as much as it was their chance to get away from the noise of several conversations going on in the dining and living rooms. lol I understand that. I actually, sometimes enjoy escaping into the kitchen to do some dishes in silence when there's a crowd over. It gives me a welcomed break from the loud chatter. That said, I never turn down a willing man child or husband who offers to do the dishes. And I'm not shy about telling them it's their turn, either. Sharing the work is showing love. :)

    The other things I want to say are: I love your journal! I laughed outloud at the first cartoon, groaned at the second one, and I want to know how your pumpkin roll turns out. I've been giving thought to making one this year (for the first time), but I'd be just as happy to hear from you how easy (or hard) making one really is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!