Sunday, October 28, 2018

YOP Week #18



 YOP 2018-2019

Finishes so far:
1.  4th of July xs pillow
2.  Hitchhiker shawl
3.  Felici Hibiscus self-striping socks
4.  Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles
5.  washcloth (extra large) and back scrubber for Christmas or birthday for SIL
6.   Iowa Hawkeye hat for Sam
7.  Techniques learned so far this year: a) knit cast on, b) reading a knitting chart, c) lace work, d) inserting and using a lifeline.

FINISHES:
I have several 'finishes' this week.....I know...I can't believe it myself!

1)  First off the 2018 Halloween Collectible Ornaments for the grands and one for me..........the picture isn't very good as it was a rainy day and the light was poor.  I made these out of felt but there is a reason that people  use a blanket stitch on felt and don't try to 'seam' it......I  had a dickens of a time with it....but I managed and used what I had...button eyes and all.....also the felt is from old wool that I dyed a while ago...
and here is the rest of the Halloween stash that has already been mailed out to them with their ornaments...........
Solar pumpkins, light up bracelets, trick or treat pretzels, tootsie roll pops with new flavors, pumpkin bath bombs, and frightening paint sets of monsters.  Plus, my daughter got a pair of spooky socks. 

2)  My sampler quilt after lo these many years...........
 This was a class I took to learn how to quilt several years back and each block was a different technique.  I enjoyed the class and learned a lot.  I had it professionally quilted as I didn't know you could use your own sewing machine to quilt in simple ways or hand quilt.  I won't be doing that again as it cost a lot of moolah and I think that is why I stopped quilting as I didn't think I could afford it.  But then I remembered that's not what the pioneer women did!  So I am off and running and using what I have.  I machine sewed the binding onto the front of the quilt and then hand sewed the binding onto the back.  I used a tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co. on You Tube as I couldn't remember how to do it.  It was excellent!
 Here's the back of it...........perfect finish for fall with these colors...........

3)  I finished the cross stitching of Sam's Christmas ornament and once I finish Uriah's I will sew them into ornaments and show you when that is done.  That is really the true 'finish'.  But I want to do them all at the same time.  Not sure what's up with the color yellow on these pictures but in real life it is not showing up all yellowed....thank goodness!





WIP's (works in progress) for this week:

1)  I did not finish my Falling Leaves Scarf as I was busy with Halloween presents..this week for sure 

2)  Pickle Dish - almost done with #4 and will finish it this week and audition fabrics for #5


3.  Cubs ornament for Uriah: This is my Merry Monday project - I don't think I got much more done on this


4.  Santa Sunday Cross Stitch project:  no work was done on the new one as I was finishing Sam's....


5.  Stars and Stripes Saturday:  I did work on this yesterday.......



6.  Fall Friday: did the brown garland at the top..........



7.  Witchy Wednesday: I finally paid some attention to this poor thing...........filling in some of the yellow between the ears
Now that I've cleared off some of my projects it's time to start more!  Actually, I have more WIP's that need finishing and one of them is this............I plan on making (all?) the little quilts from this book and I had gathered 72 2" squares from mediums and darks and I need 96 light prints and I have 30.  So, I need to look in my stash for lights but if I remember correctly I didn't have any more so I may need to order some light prints to come up with the required amount.  I'll look into it this week.  I also have a 'flimsy' (a quilt top that is sewn but needs batting and backing) to finish.  Plus, I need to start a Hawkeye hat for Grayson and a Cub hat for Uriah and then hats for the adults.  It's going to be a hat year!  I need to rejuvenate my Hiya-Hiya interchangables as I am missing some cables.  It will be a fun week although we are supposed to get rain for Halloween and you know what that means!  I will have to eat the candy! LOL! 

That's it for this week!
I hope you had a wonderful week and enjoyed working on your projects.  I hope you have a great Halloween.  Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!

P.S.  The people who lost loved ones and family members in the horrific massacre in Pittsburg are in my prayers.  I also pray that our country will heal and hatred of all kinds will disappear from the face of the earth.  It reminds me of that song....."Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me".  I think the current generation of young people have seen enough and are bound and determined to make a difference and I pray they will.  God save us all.

16 comments:

  1. The felt jack o lanterns are adorable, Sam! The grands are going to love them - and their gift box. You are a fun grandma. :) Your quilt is beautiful! Front and back! And all your cross stitch projects are so pretty and cute. You have me wanting to make some ornaments. And I'm impressed by your new quilt project. I'm afraid my eyes started to glaze and my ears ring at needing 96 (I assume different) light prints. I cannot comprehend this, but I really look forward to watching you create it. You inspire me, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to cut them with scissors it would not happen but using a rotary blade makes it go pretty fast. Thank you for your sweet comments...you always make me feel good.

      Delete
  2. Nice Halloween items for the Grands(and you). Your quilt is wonderful and the perfect color for fall. Glad to see so much progress on your cross stitch and another pickle dish. Uou have been very crafty this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing that a few finishes can spur you on to finish more!

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! I love your ornaments too...so cute your Grands will love them. It will be fun to see your new quilt project in the works:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. I don't know why I didn't finish it years ago.

      Delete
  4. Your sampler quilt is stunning. I love the material you chose for the back. I am so impressed with quilters. and your cross stitch is amazing too. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is m otivating me to get out more WIPs and finish them off!

      Delete
  5. What a great gift box for your grandsons. I know they’re going to be excited to get them. That sampler quilt turned out beautifully. I have never professionally quilted any of my quilts. I have hand quilted some and “stitched in the ditch” some of the others. As always my favorite of your projects is the pumpkin spice Crosstitch. I don’t know what it is, I think it’s the colors.
    Have a great week Sam.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. It's nice to sew some things as it is quicker than my handwork but then I can't do it with my feet up! LOL!

      Delete
  6. The felt pumpkins look great Sam and I just love the finished quilt, it's gorgeous. You've made some great progress on the other projects even with all the finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing the new WIPs that you'll need to start now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right...I need to start some new WIPs! LOL!

      Delete
  7. Oh all your finishes are brilliant. I love the pumpkin ornaments and the quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucy. I'm so glad to finally have some 'finishes'. It's a good feeling and motivates me to finish more.

      Delete
  8. What cute pumpkins 🎃, We don’t have kids and don’t get trick or treaters here, so I don’t have Halloween decorations, but I am tempted to try the pumpkins before next year’s Halloween. The quilt looks lovely on both sides,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore those pumpkins. They are perfect!

    I can’t even imagine trying to manipulate something as big as a quilt through my machine. I prefer to send them out, but there are some people locally who do it relatively cheaply. My first quilt I quilted it by hand iwith an embroidery hoop. That took forever! Maybe if there were some ladies who wanted to join in a quilting bee and help out?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!