Saturday, January 5, 2019

I survived my 70th birthday!


When I awoke January 1st I was grateful I made it to 2019 and when I awoke yesterday morning I was grateful I made it to my 70th birthday....lol! I had planned on sewing since I have been itching to get back to my machine after all the Christmas making but alas.......that didn't happen.....too many calls and well wishers which was much better and I'm not complaining!
The night before I got a BIG surprise when a package arrived and it was from my son Ben.........an Amazon  Fire HD tablet with 16 mgb of storage!  I was blown away!  In my favorite color too.....yellow!
He also got me the easel cover so it can stand on it's own and is protected when closed.  I love it!  Now I can Skype with my grandchildren!!!
I also received this lovely card from Betsy from  A Queen's Life on my sidebar...............thank you so much Betsy especially for the sweet sentiments you wrote inside.  It meant a lot to me.
Ben's significant other sent me this beautiful Yankee candle in Autumn Wreath scent............it smells so good.........I may save it for next Fall................


I did make my cherry dump cake and although the picture isn't great...I had it warm with ice cream and it was delicious...............
here's the recipe.....easy peasy...........

I cut mine in half to make an 8 " square pan but you can double it to make a 9 X 11 pan which was the original recipe.
heat oven to 375 degrees F
put 1 can of pie filling of your choice in the bottom of the pan (I use just a can of unsweetened cherries as I think it is sweet enough).  Sprinkle 1/2 box of yellow cake mix on top.  Cut 1 stick of butter into 16 pats and arrange on top then sprinkle with 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (I use pecans)
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes but check when it gets close depending on your oven.  Mine is more like 35 minutes.  Definitely have over ice cream while still warm!

Remember this 'flimsy' little quilt top?  Well, I found my batting and got some fabrics together for piecing the backing but I never got a chance to sew yesterday with all the birthday calls.  That was my first FNWF but I'll publish over there anyway to let them know I did something! LOL!
Here's my fabrics for backing..............
I took the day off from blogging as I simply ran out of day!  I'm trying to blog earlier so I hope that helps.  Thank you for all your good wishes!
Happy Trails!!!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Sam happy Birthday so glad you had a lovely day and you received lots of lovely gifts. I am your newest follower ,hope you will visit and follow me too.
    I love your flimsy and your backing fabric all look so pretty,hope you have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sam....what a wonderful surprise present, you are lucky. Great quilt and fabrics for backing, look forward to seeing more of your projects.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you...
    Visiting from FNwF... xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a very Happy O Birthday.. pleased you had a lovely day.. enjoy your fabulous gifts.
    I'm sure you'll piece the backing for the quilt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! (No one should have a birthday so close to the Christmas or New Year's holidays! I fear you get slighted because of that.) What nice gifts you got. You're ahead of me on getting back to quilting. I seem to be stuck on knitting right now. But it's all good. Keeps my hands busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a wonderful day for your birthday. That was a great gift from your son and you can never have too many candles. There will always be another day to sew and your quilt is looking great. I was worried about if you would get the card for your birthday because I forgot about no mail on New Years. Wishing you a wonderful year my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday sweet friend! I'm so glad you had a good day and got such wonderful gifts! You are so special to ALL of us! Sending you birthday hugs...and lots of them! Your blog buddy, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Sam - 70 is a good year. Lots of Skype- ing ahead.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday and what a wonderful gift! You will really enjoy skyping with the grandkids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to you, and that is a grand assortment of presents and cards you received.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great to meet you. I got your message about the sampler QAL but didn't have your email... this was a good way to come and find yhou and also read your blog. Happy Birthday.... and lovely to have the tablet.... skyping grandies is just the best....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Sam! Sounds like you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful day with such nice gifts! May the rest of 2019 be as nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!