Sunday, April 7, 2019

YOP Week #43


Finishes: none this week

WIPs (works in progress): 
1) I worked on Hawk Run Hollow January a little bit..........

2) My Seasonal Sunday project "Spring" is almost done............




3)  The Button-Eyed cat for Witchy Wednesday.............moving right along!

4) Sock #1 of 2..........This is where most of my time was spent as you can tell..............I finished the leg, the heel flap, the heel turn and picked up the stitches for the gusset (after this picture was taken)
I am loving the yarn, the pattern and my sock knitting!




Acquisitions:
None this week

New Starts Planned: they're all secret! LOL!

YOP Goals from last week:  Very poor showing but in my defense...Spring is here and I have double the workload now with the outside and the inside.  I'll just keep these goals for next week too! LOL!
Except for the sock....hopefully, I will have one sock done by then.  But then my taxes are due and there is the City Wide Garage Sale next Saturday which I'm still considering on participating in?  Maybe?  I'll see how much I get done.  I may need the money to pay my taxes! LOL!

1.  finish stitching Pumpkin Spice Farm
2.  finish hexies and stitch together for Pickle Dish #5 of 11 (there are also 2 half PD's on the vertical and 6 half PD's on the horizontal plus 4 quarter PD's and then the connecting hexies)    
3.  Work on Amy's Frida Kahlo basket
4.  Start house ornament
6.  do the finishing work on "America" xs
7.  do the finishing work on "Merry Xmas" xs
8.  do the finishing work on "Primitive Santa"
***DONE*** 9.  finish leg of sock #1
10.  make sock box and ornament box for 12 of each in a year (yeah right) lol!

 TOP 10 (or more) WIP's:

1)  Pickle Dish
2)  Stars and Stripes Saturday - America x-stitch - done but needs finishing
3)  Amy's Frido Kahlo basket (July birthday) - done but needs to be sewn together
4)  Pin's embroidery
5)  socks
6)  C2C blanket for Grayson (July birthday) 
7)  Monthly Monday - HRH January
8)  Witchy Wednesday - Button-Eyed Cat
9)  Fall Friday - Pumpkin Spice Farm
10)  Santa Sunday -Old St. Nick - done but needs 'finishing' work
11.  Turkey Thursday
12.  Seasonal Sunday - Spring
13.  Santa Sunday - new house ornament

 Finishes so far in 2018-19: 
1.  4th of July cross stitch pillow/ornie
2.  Hitchhiker shawl
3.  Felici Hibiscus self-striping socks
4.  Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles for me Sam
5.  washcloth (extra large) and back scrubber for Christmas or birthday for SIL
6.   Iowa Hawkeye hats for Sam and Grayson
7.  Techniques learned so far this year: a) knit cast on, b) reading a knitting chart, c) lace work, d) inserting and using a lifeline e) charting a graphghan
8.   dishcloth(s)...I need to count them
9. Cubs hat for Uriah
10. 12 days of Christmas Advent gifts
11. Cowl for Ben
12. Cowl for Tracy
13. Cowl for Natalie
14.  # 2018 Collectible ornaments for the grands
15.  Cowl for me or gift basket
16.  11 scrubbies for gift basket
17.  1 pot handle cover for gift basket
18.  Ben's Bear's hat
19.  Falling Leaves Scarf
20.  Tissue Box Cover - 5 of them!
21.  Granny Square Shawl
22.  Kathleen Tracy doll quilt

As for other news on 'the homestead'...I have a 'tale to tell'!  Yesterday was beautiful but storms were coming over the weekend and I really wanted to get the lawn mowed for the first time before it got too long.  I got the mower started right off the bat.....great!  I filled the mower with what gas I had and it looked like enough....wrong!  I was about 3/4 done when it ran out of gas.  So, I went out to the highway and back for gas and filled it up and started mowing again.  I hadn't mowed 3 minutes when I got stuck in the mud trying to mow the ditch.  Woe is me.  This happened one other time and I called B&J's and they came and pushed me out but this was Saturday afternoon and they were closed.  With storms coming I really didn't want the mower sitting out there so I wondered how I could get it out by myself plus I wanted to finish the darn lawn!  I Googled my problem and sure enough after 3 videos I found a guy with my exact problem....alone and stuck in the mud! LOL!  He used a 'tow rope' and his truck to  pull it out.  I did not have a 'tow rope' but thought maybe the dollar store did so off I went.  They didn't have a tow rope but they had one better....a ratchet rope with hooks on both ends.  I came home and there were no directions on how to thread it......soooooooooo......back to Google!  There was a video on that too!  Thank you You Tube people!!!  I learned how to thread it, attached it to my mower and my Tahoe and pulled it right out....no fuss, no muss!  I finished mowing before the rains came and I was so elated that I had figured it out myself (with God's help and You Tube) and it worked!  Ta Da! I put everything away after mowing, came in and took a nice hot bath, got my pj's on and had a nice supper of goulash that I made Friday.......and a salad of my home grown greens.  It started raining while I was eating supper and I smiled to myself........I got 'er done!
I went out this morning and took some pictures.......the first 'mow' of the season is always a bit rough looking but so glad I got it done as it's supposed to storm again tonight........I have a red bud growing on the edge of my property!  I love red buds and they are all in bloom right now............
Here's some across the street............
My little hyacinth is still blooming.............
The pansies I planted are looking great.............
The peas are up!
and so is the kale...........
That's all for this week  other than I have several projects already on my YOP list for this coming July!  Woo Hoo! 

Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!


16 comments:

  1. My goodness, you have quite a bit of 'yard' to mow. So happy you were able to get your mower out o the ditch all by yourself! Wish we would get a bit more rain here. We are already starting to get into the 90's! Need some rain to cool it off again. Congrats on getting the heel done on your sock. It looks very nice. Your cross stitch is coming along too. I bet you will be glad with the cat is done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that new winter storm 'Wesley' will bring you some rain? Yes, I was ecstatic about being able to finish the lawn and yes, it is a big one! I am really enjoying the sock knitting and can't wait until that cat is done! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Sam... you are now officially my hero! I wish I was more like you. I like to think I'm a DYI'er, but compared to you I'm pretty helpless. And YAY for Youtube! Is there anything one CAN'T figure out by searching there?

    I'm guessing we're a couple of weeks behind you on spring looking like what you've got, so I'll just keep enjoying your pictures, knowing that all too soon I'll actually be complaining about how hot it is. This week, I'm going to enjoy the (hopefully) slow opening up of the magnolia blossoms on the tree outside the front window. And then the week following it will rain and all the beautiful, fragrant flowers will be whipped from the tree to litter and stain the sidewalk. And then I'll get out my power washer and make it all clean again. Aaah... the circle of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no hero that's for sure and I would love to keep my house as neat and clean as yours! Look at you with the power washer! I have one but it is not strong enough at only 1400 psi but not sure I can afford a new one right now. I'll have to check out the magnolias as my neighbor has one. We have no sidewalks but my our private ones and they are stained and so is my driveway. Not from magnolias but just mold down here. What PSI does your pressure washer have may I ask?

      Delete
  3. Woo hoo on the self reliance! YouTube is great, isn't it? Lovely projects, as always, but it's the green in your yard that caught my eye this week. I'm out on my deck (listening to the wild turkeys gobble their heads off) but it's still all brown out my way. I do so love Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never cared for Spring on the farm as it was cold, wet and muddy! LOL! But here Spring is magical. You can have the rest of the year here though...Summer is too hot, Fall is hot and dry and there's usually fire danger which I definitely don't like and winter is blah with no snow to cover up all the dead lawns etc. So, I have to really enjoy this season! LOL! It will be there soon!

      Delete
  4. Oh I feel such a quitter in comparison to you, I thought I’d mow the lawn yesterday for its first cut, but found the mower had no petrol (gas) in it and so put it back in the garage and used the strimmer on the longest bits (I.e. grass over 5” long! I then went inside to knit. The petrol station is only a mile away if that! I’m so embarrassed now, well done for working it out, fixing the problem and finished the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not be embarrassed....you got out your weed whacker (strimmer) while I have a new one in the garage that I have yet to use. I've never had one before and I keep putting it off but need to 'face my fears'! See, you know how to use one and I don't...I'm pretty leary of it but I spent the money so back to You Tube? LOL! We all have our strengthes and weaknesses for sure. My weakness is the 'strimmer' for sure!

      Delete
  5. You go, girl! Talk about being self-reliant . . . if more people took the bull by the horns as you do, they'd be a lot better off. Do you realize that even if someone was mowing their own lawn (a lot of people don't, you know) and got their riding mower stuck, it would still be sitting there? Heck, too darn many people today don't even know how to cook, let alone grow their own groceries. Thinking about that all makes me sad, but then I chirk up realizing there are (yes, there really are) those out there like you who still have the initiative to think and do for themselves. (Feels good, too, doesn't it!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely built up my confidence muscle especially since as I age it tends to get diminished and then there's all that 'patronizing' when you go out in public....you get treated like you don't have a brain in your head...well, some days I do wonder about that too! LOL! To your point......I am one of the oldest people in my neighborhood and the only one who does her own yard work. The rest all hire it out. They never open their windows or their front doors and I never see them outside except to get the mail....crazy! Thank you for your vote of confidence as there are some days when I wonder why I work so hard but I really think I am healthier and in better shape because of it. Plus, I have always loved to work....is that crazy? My relatives were all that way too. Good role models they were!

      Delete
  6. That was quite the adventure and yougogirl managing it yourself. I love youtube for helping me do things I never thought possible. Your food and plant pictures are so lovely and heartwarming. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I survived before You Tube for learning and enjoying. I've been watching 'hiking' documentaries in the evening...the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest...there are more. So beautiful and since I am scared to death of heights I will never go on them so I am grateful these people share them. Have a great week and I hope the arm is healed by the time you read this!

      Delete
  7. You go gal! You figured it out! What a day you had, your lawn looks great...green looks good to me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this next storm leaves you alone! It's supposed to be another 'cyclone' blizzard...Wesley. Your grass will be green when mine is all burned up! LOL! Spring is the only time it looks decent. Take care and stay safe and warm for now.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it great how quickly a sock comes together when you are loving the pattern and yarn! It just zips by and of course still loving all the cross stitch, Spring looks like it's going to be finished soon!
    Well done on solving the mower problem, now if it happens again you won't need to call anyone! I understand getting that first cut done, we did that last month and of course it looked rough, it always does but we got the second cut done a week or two ago and it's looking better and now ready to be just maintained for the season. Having said that our grass didn't stop growing this past Winter because it was so mild! Loving all the flower pictures, I've been out in the garden this week also, planting some pansies in an old container and getting some new rose beds dug and starting on the planting of them. I've one and a bit to finish and they are complete for the year, just need to maintain and mind them then! Hope you have a good week Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the Spring xs is finished! Someday I'll attempt the toe-up again as I never like to 'give up' on anything but for now I am enjoying my old standby of cuff down! LOL! Our grass stops growing in the winter but not the weeds! I love roses and have a few but they aren't the fragrant ones. I want that wonderful smell! You'll have to show us pictures of your flowers! I love to see where people live and reside. Thank you and you have a great week too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!