Thursday, April 11, 2019

Landscaping, bread making and homemade taco seasoning

I forgot to show you the red bud branches I picked the other day.   They are definitely in full bloom now and so are the dogwoods.


I have no picture of the bread that's still baking but you've seen it before.  It is my usual no-knead artisan bread.  I did manage to get some landscaping done today despite the wind which was wild today!  I had 2 big Styrofoam pots in the back yard that I wanted to use for the clematis that I had in front of the garage.  They were full of dirt so too heavy to lift so I emptied the dirt into buckets (it was organic soil) until I could lift them and get them out to the front of the house.  I weeded and raked the area and put the pots in front of the stairs with the idea that the clematis will climb up the railing.  I was tired after that and still had some things to do inside so tomorrow I will re-pot the clematis in them.
I also rearranged the bench on the front porch so my plants will get rained on when and if it rains. 
So far I only have the kale there but there will be more soon.  My seedling tomatoes are not doing well so I may have to buy plants this year.  I think I need a grow light and also individual little pots plus I need to read the Seed Planters Guide.  I always have that 'damping off' problem....and they were doing so well.....
I had a really great day yesterday too.  I went to the vet and Walmart.  I checked out the recycling center for electronics and they are open Saturday from 9-noon so I won't be having a garage sale this Saturday with the rest of the town but hopefully I will get a printer and 2 t.v.s off my hands (non-functioning) (the t.v. and printer are non-functioning....not my hands heaven forbid!). 
I had to go to the bank this morning and then I stopped and got more chili powder to make taco seasoning mix.  Once I had everything, I made it...easy peasy!  I'm trying to make things for my pantry from scratch each week.
Last night I watched the first episode of Barbery Hall?  It was on You Tube and from the BBC.  It was good and I hope to get to see the rest of the episodes.  Sort of on the Downton Abbey theme which I love. 
What have you been up to?  I hope you're not having bad weather.  It was cloudy here today with lots of wind which was great for working outside and staying cool. 
Happy Trails!!!


12 comments:

  1. Snow here. And wind...and snow. You had a busy day. When the tomato plants have four leaves you can transplant them and sink them real deep and they will be okay:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they're going to make it that far...boo hoo!

      Delete
  2. I want to recommend Mrs Wilson - the Masterpiece Theater special that is streaming on line for free right now on pbs.org. It is really good and I think you will like it. Be sure to watch or read about it before watching, it took me a few minutes to catch on to what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i watched a few episodes and it is good...i'm also watching Berkely Square on You Tube which is also good but I need to watch mrs. wilson as it won't always be there. thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. You always manage to get so much done. There are days when I really can just be a total blob. :) April weather here has been fickle and it is getting warmer. Still bearable for outdoor activities though. Have a good Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, all i can say is i plan and prioritize and do what I can in the time allotted but most of all i try to stay balanced. i also have no social life so that doesn't interfere with my plans.

      Delete
  4. We just had another cold spell, but warmer weather is on the way. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea for putting the pots of clematis where they can climb up your railing. I know what you mean about moving big pots that have soil in them . . . ooof! My window boxes (three big ones and one little one) sit on supports in front of our windows so I remove them, haul them down to the field garden, dump out the old soil and refill them with new, composted soil each year. They are so heavy coming and going that I use a wheelbarrow to shuffle them back and forth. The big ones I can just barely (and carefully) lift in and out of the wheelbarrow.

    I had a dampening off problem with my started broccoli last year. First time I experienced it. So discouraging.

    I make my own taco seasoning, too. More economical and you can keep it fresh that way.

    We didn't get much melting of our newly fallen 6-7" of snow yesterday. Today it's only in the high 20s so it's a little discouraging. I'll just have to have patience for "spring" to reappear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i did try a trick i read about but especially for deep pots..not sure it would work for window boxes....anyway, i put empty plastic containers (i used yogurt)upside down in the bottom of the pot and then poured the dirt in. it did make it lighter but i didn't do it this time as i am not moving them again! LOL! maybe you could just scoop out the topsoil and replace it and fertilize? that would save you a lot of 'hauling'. that's what i'll do with these next year....'top dressing' i think they call it.
    we don't have snow but almost and it is cold and rainy but we didn't have any severe weather like further south. i was really glad i decided against the city wide garage sale...the weather was awful.
    I really dislike rod iron and that railing so if i can cover it up i'll be happy. the propane people broke my wheel barrow although they denied it and they knocked down my wood pile too....both of which were against the brick of the garage...there were tire ruts too from driving their truck on the lawn right there. they have since been bought by another company and i have no problem with the new people...very nice and they don't drive on my lawn but i still have no wheelbarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey S.I.A., yep, it's that time of season when we are all out cleaning up after a long cold winter.. I know hubby and I are going to wake up tomorrow with achy muscles after todays day of yard work..
    Have fun and then when all is done, relax and enjoy your hard work and the wonderful weather...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much appreciated companions, for giving such illuminating information. Here You can also visit for The best Erosion Control Company in Austin TX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!