Sunday, March 31, 2019

YOP Week #40


Finishes:
1) My little tiny quilt - this is a reproduction of a doll quilt and was a free pattern on the Kathleen Tracy blog site and she also has a Facebook group.  I got it a long time ago.  Kathleen also has many books out on reproduction doll quilts.  I like the smaller quilts as I have more uses for them such a table covers or dresser scarves.  I'm not a good quilter as I can count on one hand all the quilts I've made but I plan on continuing to make them and hopefully get better at it.   I machine quilted "in the ditch" as they say but I think from now on I will hand quilt as it is too obvious and I'm not very good at it.  Wherever this little quilt winds up in my house I think the 2 little Amish figurines need to go with it. They were given to me by a good friend from college for my birthday.  I think it was a sign as shortly after that I got a job not too far from the Amana Colonies in Iowa.

WIPs (works in progress): 
1) I worked on Hawk Run Hollow January and finished filling in the white but not much to see so I didn't take another picture.
2)  I have almost all my hexies sewn for the next pickle dish but not quite.  Hopefully I will have another "dish" sewn together by next week.


3) My Seasonal Sunday project "Spring" is coming along and I'll be working on it today!  The tulips are done......so cute all in a row.......




4)  Pumpkin Spice Farm is almost finished but not quite..............as they say "so close but no cigar"...I have no idea where that saying came from...........


5)  The Button-Eyed cat for Witchy Wednesday is slowly getting there.....I will be so glad when this is done....it is a pure drag and a strain on my eyes.......
7) Socks!!!  Yes, oh how I love to knit socks...just not toe up...for now anyway.  The yarn is Knit Picks fingering weight speckled and I love it!  I love the looks, the feel and the knitting with it.  It's going to make a great pair of socks plus there is no splitting or knots so far!  I'm on round 31 of 61 which is halfway done with the leg.  This is Cherry Heart's "First Sock" pattern which is a pay for pattern on Ravelry and excellent with photos and detailed instructions and then just the pattern if you want to skip all the tutorial parts.  It has a very simple design pattern to it which gives a soft squishy sock that I love.  This is my second time making these.  Susan B.Anderson's "How I Make My Socks" used to be my go to sock pattern but now it is Cherry Heart's (Sandra Paul's) pattern.  I'm using my favorite sock needles too...ChiaoGoo Red Lace circular stainless steel knitting needles that I got on Amazon.  I'm using one of my new sea glass progress keepers too.


Acquisitions:
None this week but maybe next.  Today I'll be gathering some Stitch Mania projects together (31 in total...one for every day in May!) and figuring what supplies I need.  I have lots of xs material to utilize and floss so mostly patterns to order and look through my old magazines and xs WIP's....yes, there are those too! LOL! 
I will also be starting my YOP 2019-2020 list and see what supplies I need for those.  There are only 12 weeks left to this YOP year!

New Starts Planned:
I need a new Santa Sunday project so it will be the little house ornament pattern I got.  I need to gather the materials together and get started on it.  I won't be ordering that polka dot fabric either.  I have xs stitch fabric I can use.
YOP Goals this week:
1.  finish stitching Pumpkin Spice Farm
2.  finish hexies and stitch together for Pickle Dish #5 of 11 (there are also 2 half PD's on the vertical and 6 half PD's on the horizontal plus 4 quarter PD's and then the connecting hexies)    
3.  Work on Amy's Frida Kahlo basket
4.  Start house ornament
6.  do the finishing work on "America" xs
7.  do the finishing work on "Merry Xmas" xs
8.  do the finishing work on "Primitive Santa"
9.  finish leg of sock #1
10.  make sock box and ornament box for 12 of each in a year (yeah right) lol!

 TOP 10 (or more) WIP's:

1)  Pickle Dish
2)  Stars and Stripes Saturday - America x-stitch - done but needs finishing
3)  Amy's Frido Kahlo basket (July birthday) - done but needs to be sewn together
4)  Pin's embroidery
5)  socks
6)  C2C blanket for Grayson (July birthday) 
7)  Monthly Monday - HRH January
8)  Witchy Wednesday - Button-Eyed Cat
9)  Fall Friday - Pumpkin Spice Farm
10)  Santa Sunday -Old St. Nick - done but needs 'finishing' work
11.  Turkey Thursday
12.  Seasonal Sunday - Spring
13.  Santa Sunday - new house ornament

 Finishes so far in 2018-19: 
1.  4th of July cross stitch pillow/ornie
2.  Hitchhiker shawl
3.  Felici Hibiscus self-striping socks
4.  Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles for me Sam
5.  washcloth (extra large) and back scrubber for Christmas or birthday for SIL
6.   Iowa Hawkeye hats for Sam and Grayson
7.  Techniques learned so far this year: a) knit cast on, b) reading a knitting chart, c) lace work, d) inserting and using a lifeline e) charting a graphghan
8.   dishcloth(s)...I need to count them
9. Cubs hat for Uriah
10. 12 days of Christmas Advent gifts
11. Cowl for Ben
12. Cowl for Tracy
13. Cowl for Natalie
14.  # 2018 Collectible ornaments for the grands
15.  Cowl for me or gift basket
16.  11 scrubbies for gift basket
17.  1 pot handle cover for gift basket
18.  Ben's Bear's hat
19.  Falling Leaves Scarf
20.  Tissue Box Cover - 5 of them!
21.  Granny Square Shawl
22.  Kathleen Tracy doll quilt



Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!


24 comments:

  1. Sam your quilt is lovely! And the Amish figurines definitely need to stay with it! :) I also want to get into quilting at some point in my life...I've never done any of that. Mama Pea is such a good quilter, she's pretty inspiring to me! I don't know that I would quilt by hand though, I need to learn more about it!

    Your two stitching projects are so cute! I LOVE the tulips!!! Your list of projects is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rain! If I can do it..you can do it! Remember you screened in your porch and do all that building that I still want to find the courage to do!

      Delete
    2. Oh thanks for that reminder!! :) You can definitely find the courage to do it, just one step at a time!!! :)

      Delete
  2. I like your quilt...perfect for the middle of a table:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute little quilt. The Amish dolls look right at home on it too. I am happy to hear and see your sock is behaving this time. That yarn is adorable for it. Pickle dishes look quite tedious to do. You have fabulous patience. You have really turned into quite the cross stitcher. I love seeing all of them progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marsha. I am so happy to pick up the knitting needles again! Heads up for YOP 19-20....have you seen the Northeasterly pattern on Ravelry? Just sayin'

      Delete
  4. Sam, I really admire your discipline and organization in doing so many crafts and how you have days designated to different things. Every time I read about it, I want to give it a go, but I know me... I'd fail at the whole thing by Wednesday.

    Your little quilt is great. And the Amish figurines do look perfect with it. I never thought about making small quilts. I only know I'd never get a large quilt finished, so I never even entertained the idea of quilting. Oh boy... you've given me something else to think about. I hope you have a good week, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becki. I wish I could be more monogamous like you and finish one thing before I start another but then that's just not me, I guess. I do try to do my housework and move forward on decluttering each day but I need breaks once in awhile and that's what I do on my breaks and then in the evening when I am 'done'. I am, above all, practical. I like things to have a use...even the cross stitch is for decorating my home and making it 'cozy' and celebrating the seasons, the months and the holidays! LOL! You have a great week too!

      Delete
  5. Such a fun variety of crafts! I'm so mono-craftual. :) The little quilt (and figures) is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But at least you finish things! I am the Mother of all WIPs! LOL!

      Delete
  6. I love your quilts. My croatian teacher is a huge quilter and I think I am going to get her to help me get started. I made two quilts, one for each of my kids when they were born, but that was 30+ years ago. Time to get back to it, and sewing seems to be ok for my arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I have a feeling if I didn't switch things up that my shoulder would bother me. Also, crocheting too much makes my hands hurt at times so maybe it's good I have lots of different crafts going. Perfect time to start sewing while your arm heals! Lucky you to have someone to show you the ropes!

      Delete
  7. You know how much I love your pumpkin crosstitch. I think it is beautiful. The quilt is also beautiful. I think you did a wonderful job. Sometimes were too hard on ourselves.
    Dennis and I used to go to the Amana colonies at least once a year for a weekend getaway when we lived in Omaha. His parents would keep the kids and we would leave on a Friday night after work and come home Sunday afternoon. It was a wonderful place to visit. So much interesting history and I loved all of the handcrafts. They served the meals family style, and it was oh so good! Happy Sunday my friend. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived only about 20 minutes away and would take the back roads to the Amana's. I wonder if we ever passed each other on the street? I took my children there for breakfast after church many times. Family style was great for my brood! Small world isn't it? There was a needlework shop there I used to frequent also. Have a great week and may the sun shine on you where ever you are!

      Delete
  8. Close but no cigar - this comes from when they used to give out cigars at carnivals back in the 19th century. It probably should be Close but no cuddly toy nowadays lol! I do love your pumpkin spice and I’m glad it’s been in progress for a while as it means I get the joy of seeing it on your posts, but as it comes to nearing the end you’ve got the lovely tulips, my favourite flower. I’ve not tried quilting, to me your wee quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the explanation of that saying. I say things that my relatives always said and that got passed down and then would wonder what it meant....now it all makes sense!
      I love tulips too unfortunately the deer here love them too! LOL! So my little cross stitched ones are all I will have. Thank you for your compliments as no one but you YOP'ers ever see them. It's nice to have friends that can relate to all our handwork and the love and work that goes into making "all the things"! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. The quilt is just darling and the figures with it are perfect!
    Love all the cross stitch pieces on the go and I love the tulips all in a row. Like you I'm turning my attention to next years list and giving it some thought already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I'm hoping to do more 'garment making' this coming year...both sewing and knitting. Your beautiful sweaters really inspired me this year!

      Delete
  10. I love to make mini quilts, too, as they can be finished in less than three years! Have you seen pieces done with the big primitive hand stitching? I've done one piece like that and it's fun in that it goes very fast and I don't have to concentrate so hard on making my hand quilting stitches as small as they should be . . . and look good! By the way, I don't think machine stitching in the ditch is easy at all. Although I do it, I feel like my eyeballs are going to fall out of my head because you have to be so careful you don't fall out of the ditch! But we love challenges, right? ;o}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you mentioned that BIG primitive hand stitching! I saw it somewhere and thought that is exactly what I need to do. We need to save our 'eyeballs' for sure! I have one big quilt to make for my bed but it's just a plain patchwork....I may even just tie the corners with yarn...we'll see. The squares are about 5" so that may not be enough for squares that large? They also have where you quilt about 1/4" in from the seam....I might be able to do that better with my 1/4" foot....not MY foot....the sewing machine foot! LOL!

      Delete
  11. You are amazingly productive! Love the little quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are you with your homestead and all you do!

      Delete
  12. Oh, as always I love all of your varied projects. I especially love the tulips, they are my favourite flower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!