Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Finally getting some things done around the homestead!

It was a gorgeous day today and I did some outside chores....watered the kale and the peas, harvested the lettuce.........
 got the bread rising......
Planted the pansies............and set them on the front porch
I picked up a boat load of sticks in the front yard but decided to save the back yard until tomorrow! LOL!  There were some big limbs from my old trees.........I'll burn them after I get them all picked up
the trees are blooming in the woods.....red buds and the dogwoods are starting................
Those aren't dogwoods just some berry bushes or something blooming............I love the dogwoods because their branches go horizontal and they are definitely recognizable.
I got a Knit Picks catalog in the mail...that is NOT junk mail!  I will be looking at it this evening!  I wish I could wear my hair like the lady on the cover.  She looks very attractive in it but I don't think she's 70 years old....I'd look like a witch if I tried it! LOL!  Some people age better than others....me?  Not so much.
I came in and made my jar salads.......I love these especially this time of year when there is so much to do and I can just grab one for lunch with some homemade bread.......perfect!  If you're not familiar with these you just put your dressing on the bottom and layer your lettuce and other items.  When you're ready to eat you shake it up and either eat it from the jar or put  it on a plate.  It keeps the lettuce crisp and your salad isn't soggy.  These have red onion, cucumber and radishes but you can add whatever you want.  It depends on what I have.  I usually put seeds of some kind and avocado but I'm out right now.  Hard boiled eggs are good too.
I baked the bread for my neighbor and it's cooling.  I'll probably take it over tomorrow along with the dish cloth....
I finished An Act of Love by Nancy Thayer and it was very good.  She is an excellent writer but the topic was depressing.  Not sure if all her books are on such serious subjects but if so I might have to read something lighter.
Tonight I'm starting this book which I own....I'm trying to read a fiction, non-fiction but also a book I own, one on the Kindle and then a library book.  On the Kindle I'm reading the non-fiction budget book...........then this one is my book and non-fiction
and this one is fiction and from the library.....another author I've wanted to try......
Supper tonight is chicken apple sausage, roasted sweet potato and a jar salad.......I hope you had a great day and enjoy your evening!
Happy Trails!!!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the jar salad reminder. We are going up to 90 degrees next week. Perfect for salad and a nice slice of bread. You neighbor is very lucky to have moved next to you. hmHow sweet you are to gift bread and cloth to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I sort of forgot about them this past winter until my lettuce started gaining on me! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Where do all those branches and twigs we have to pick up in the spring come from? There are always so many!

    Love the idea of your jar salads and your bread is fit for a magazine spread.

    Personally don't like the hair-do on Knit Picks cover. Looks like straight out of the shower and "I don't have time to do anything with it." Obviously, just my personal opinion. Years ago when I used to go to a hair dresser to get my hair cut and permed (glad those days are over!), I once took in a picture of a hair style I loved. I asked Betty if she could make me look like that. She dead panned, "Well, first we'll have to get you a face lift, nose job and much thicker hair." I had to laugh . . . at stuck with my same old style!

    I think I told you I'd not yet read that particular book of Nancy Thayer's but now must get it to see what it's all about! Usually, her books are not as serious (depressing?) as you found this one to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those branches and twigs...I thin they come from the trees, Mama Pea...lol~! Just teasing you. I must admit I didn't notice them all winter and here it's not like they're covered with snow....go figure? That's too funny about your hairdresser. Except for a few times in my adult life I have worn my hair up in a bun, I cut it myself too. I like it because as a gardener I hate hair hanging in my face and wearing my hair up is easy for me to do and neither wind nor rain nor sleet nor snow seems to bother it! LOL! I'm not a hair person or a clothes person for my lifestyle now. When I worked corporate...I liked dressing nice but now I'm all about comfort....pretty much sweats and flannel shirts until summer and then some slacks and cotton tops.
      Don't feel bad about the Thayer book....I only had 1 nightmare from it...just kidding.

      Delete
    2. Keep the humor coming! I don't think we get enough of it these days. :o]

      Delete
  3. Your fresh lettuce and jar salads look great! I hope your girls are all doing well! Saw a dog that looked just like Nitty in the parking lot of Walmart on Monday. It was singing...it sure was not happy being in the car waiting! It serenaded the whole parking lot!
    I like that gals hair...and would like to try that style:) It would probably look better than my bun or pony tail:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls are doing amazingly well. I can't believe it but I know that could change in a heart beat. Nitty has been loving the nice weather so she can lay in the sun (tied up of course) Annie's in and out every 10 minutes but any time she doesn't go in the house is a good time. Nitty's only had a few accidents in the garage. So, as long as they are still enjoying life I'm good with that and like I said there has been no change in their eating or drinking or eliminating. The both lick their bowls clean and eat dry food through out the day also. Now when I'm out in the yard Nitty is not tied up. The vetprofin has helped their arthritis and the pain from it greatly! Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sam, Me again. I read this blog that you might find interesting!
    http://araigneestangledweb.blogspot.com/

    If you go back to Sundays blog she is having a soap give away:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those jar salads. I made them quite a lot last year for the lake. It always amazes me how many twigs and limbs we have to clean up in the spring. We don’t even have that many trees around our house. I got the same Knit Picks catalog yesterday and read it in bed last night. Lots of good ideas, but I’m kind of “shawled out” right now and that seem to be what a lot of the catalog was. At least the patterns I liked. I like that hairstyle too. I’ve tried a couple of different times to re-create it but it never was the same on me. Oh, and your bread looks delicious. I love homemade bread. I could never do the keto diet. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Keto? Me either if you can't have bread! LOL! Tis the season for jar salads! Socks are good for knitting when the weather starts warming up. This is a blanket but have you seen the Northeasterly? It will be on my YOP list for this July! I have AC so I can make blankets in the summer. LOL! Take care sweetie! I hope your PT is helping! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, admired the lady on the cover (and modeling inside) the latest KnitPicks catalog. I have the basic hair color (or gray, rather), but not the curls/waves or the slender body. I love that older models with gray hair are featured in catalogs and magazine more. Even if they're usually of the svelte and gorgeous variety, and in no way resemble my plump figure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!