Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Thifty Tuesday

 Yes, Fall is coming and it is arriving this coming Saturday!  We're supposed to get rain Thursday and Friday here in the Ozarks with a cold front dropping the temps into the 70's as opposed to the 90's.  So excited!  I can't wait!
Aside from that great news, I have been trying to be aware of waste and trying to re-purpose and reuse when appropriate.  For example, I had 1/2 of a lemon left from a recipe and usually I put it in a container and find it weeks later covered in mold...wasted!  So, this time I took the 1/2 lemon and made myself some homemade 7-Up!  I had accidentally bought some little bottles of what I thought were water but ended up to be club soda.  I  squeezed out the lemon juice added some sugar, the club soda and ice and Voila!  7-Up!  Maybe not exactly but it was tasty and that 1/2 lemon did not go to waste this time!
 I also do the same with egg yolks or whites when I have a recipe that calls for one or the other but not both.  This time I had whites left over.  Not enough for meringue but I made scrambled eggs the next  morning and threw the whites in and whisked them in with a few whole eggs.....light and fluffy and they did not go to waste like they usually would.
The next item you've heard me mention...mending my fitted sheet.  Well, I kept putting it off because I really didn't know how to do it.  I had looked on You Tube but they took the old elastic out of the casing.  I tried but it was so old and 'baked' onto the sheet itself that I put it up for several weeks. But I needed that sheet so today was the day!  I decided to sew the elastic on top of the casing and having never worked with elastic (except 40 years + ago when I made clothes for my kids) I figured I must have to stretch it and use a zigzag stitch..that much I knew.  So, my bobbin ran out, the light bulbs in my kitchen light had to be replaced and I threaded the machine wrong but after I got that all straightened out I dove in...........and it worked!  Now next time, I think I would get a heavier duty elastic but considering I used what I had I was super pleased!  I only did the corners and then I had 2 strips about 12 inches long each left over so I sewed some on the long sides of the sheet too.  Woo Hoo!  These sheets were all stretched out but there was nothing else wrong with them so that saved some serious money....have you priced sheets lately?
    That's all for my Thrifty Tuesday.  The next picture is for my daughter...she wanted to see my Falling Leaves scarf.........here it is Amy....well, half of it anyway.  I'm working on the 2nd half and then you sew them together with a Kitchener Stitch.  Meanwhile it is hanging out on waste yarn...the red.
 Happy Trails!!!




6 comments:

  1. We're supposed to cool off this weekend too, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Good for you on your reduce, reuse, recycle efforts. Next time my sheet elastic goes, I'll at least think about replacing it. I can honestly say I've never even considered replacing the elastic before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s supposed to be 36 here tonight! Fall has arrived. You are inspiring. Great job on using up or reusing so many different things.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy for you to have cooler temps. We too are going to have cooler temps and I am so happy to have the break in the heat.

    Great job on the thrifty living!
    I find great joy in living a provident lifestyle :)

    Have a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is definitely in the air! :) What a great idea about the homemade 7up!! :) Oh yes, the sheet sets are not cheap...and if you buy them cheap they are not soft at all. We bought a few sets of flannel sheets a year and a half ago and we paid 50% off thankfully, most of them already have holes in them. Quality these days sucks, so re-using and re-purposing is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We cooled off today but will be back in the 100s by Saturday. BOO HISS! I loved your thrifty ideas. Things for me to put on my memory bank.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!