Friday, August 3, 2018

Friday - August 3, 2018. Fall & Finance Friday

This is the day of First Harvest according to Rain over at Rain's Garden.  I have harvested some herbs but no gardening this year.  I'm having a hard enough time keeping my little herbs and flowers alive in this heat.  The weather station couldn't make up it's mind if it was 90 or 100....it felt like a hundred!  I went out this morning and moved some flower boxes and re potted some herbs.
 They look a little wilted from re potting and the basil got a haircut but they'll perk up...I hope.....
This is my 'hibiscus tree' (Rose of Sharron) that was sold to me as a blue one but as you can see it is pink.  It clashes a little with the orange brick on the house but I can't do anything about it now.  It's still pretty and the bees love it.
Here's my poor little pumpkin plant just surviving in this heat....barely..........
 The 'magic lilies' are coming up.  We called them that up north but down here they call them 'naked ladies'......I prefer 'magic lilies'.
It looks pretty barren there because that is where the guy took out the scrub trees and now some light can get in there.
 also you can actually see my flower bed here.....maybe I'll plant some mums in there this fall...
  Some good rains this fall and everything will hopefully look alive again....it has been a hot, dry summer and it isn't over with yet!  I wish!
Today was Fall Friday in cross stitch country so I started on my Pumpkin Spice Farm....this is 2 threads over 2 on 32 count....even weave, I think.....much easier than that 40 count....heavens!
  I forgot to tell you that when I went to Walmart I picked up the Fall issue of Primitive Quilts and it is always jam packed with lots of fun and beautiful Fall projects.........
Here are just a few that I have my eye on.............
Please excuse the glare...it was hard to hold the magazine open and take a picture at the same time! LOL!
After morning chores, I ran uptown and took my books to the library and came back with these 2.........this one is on the "uputdownable " list...........

and this one is by the author that wrote A Man Called Ove which was so good.........plus, it's really thin so I can read it fast and add it to my book reading challenge on Good Reads! LOL!  If you know of any other 'thin' books that are good to read please let me know...I am still trying to catch up.
I made peanut butter cookie dough last night and baked up one pan so I'd have a dessert but then I wrap the bowl and bake the rest later.......that's what I'm doing in-between writing to you.  The last batch is in.  I went to the store and got ground beef for tacos tomorrow night and I'll have the last of the putanesca tonight.  As you can see...I like my cookies a little bit on the burnt side...just a bit...I really do!
I hope you have a great Friday night.  What I forgot to mention and I forgot to do today was finances...it was Finance Friday so tonight I guess I'll be working on my budget.
Oh, stop by tomorrow and see what I'm starting for Stars and Stripes Saturday! LOL!  Yes, my dance card is full but I like it that way...just not overwhelming.
Happy Trails!!!









7 comments:

  1. You like your cookies the same way Dennis does. And I like them soft and chewy. I usually have to make several different batches so we can both get what we like. It all works out.
    All of those fall projects look wonderful but I’m just not much into quilting anymore. I try to keep up with my knitting, crocheting and a little bit of sewing and that’s about it.
    We desperately need rain here too. Three more fires that I know about, started just today and the air is terrible here. Eyes burning and nose running! The people on the East Coast have more water than they know what to do with and we are begging for it! It’s crazy!
    Have a lovely weekend my friend. Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're trying to transplant some annuals now, into border beds, because the extreme heat in here in Utah is making all our potted plants dry up. I hope that the plants will fare better in the borders where they will have a bit of protection from the larger more established perennials :)

    Your Autumn projects are adorable!! Love that cross stitch pattern!

    Enjoy your weekend, my friend.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an idea about your Blue Rose O Sharron that has turned pink. I think it has to do with something in your soil. I have a hedge of pink ones and dug up some starts and took them to the old cemetery that my 4-H club maintains. One flowers in a deep purple and the other flowers in blue. I am not sure what it is, but there is something you can add to the soil to make them change colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about your tree clashing with the brick on your home. The fact you have a beautiful shade tree that blooms such pretty flowers is splendid.

    You are always so busy. Do you ever sleep? Between all your projects and then finding new ones and marking magazines for upcoming ones. You absolutely amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love looking at quilt patterns! I'll have to put your books on my list!
    If you liked a man called ove, I loved the curious charms of arthur pepper and (this one I can only remember part of the name of the book) arthur truluv (this one is by elizabeth berg). Both sweet reads.
    Ali @ Simply Summer Street

    ReplyDelete
  6. All those beautiful fall themes and colors - you must be ready for fall! Hot summers certainly get tiresome and without rain the poor plants really suffer. I've noticed that when the temp gets and stays in the upper 90s and above, the garden goes into survival mode and I'm luck to keep it alive. Potted plants and those in raised beds seem to suffer the most. Just keep yourself cool and hydrated, and don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We listened to the Audio Book The Long way home. It was really good, but sad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!