Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thursday - August 2, 2018

My days get busier and busier but at least I feel like I'm moving forward and not standing still.  I am maintaining a balanced lifestyle too with no stress just 'steady as she goes'.  I missed Book Date on Monday so here is what I have been reading.........
I finished 2 books this week trying to catch up with my Good Reads Challenge of 75 books....I'm at 35 now so a bit behind but catching up!
No, the camera isn't blurred that's the cover of the book! LOL!  This was very good, scientific and definitely hard to put down!  I give it 4 stars.  It has a lot to do with quantum physics and a multiverse as opposed to a universe.  I am enjoying reading out of my comfort zone for a change.
This was a good read but too much sex, inappropriate language and a subject dealing with children that I do not want to read about.....so 3 stars because the plot was original and the writing good but the subject matter was awful.
 I started reading this book last night only because I knew I had it and I ran across a sampler by Little House Needleworks designed in her honor.  It's also quite graphic but this is a real journal so you can't argue with truth.  Those were scary and tough times especially for women. I'm still reading my other books too.
 I made a good healthy meal this week.........pasta putanesca which calls for anchovy paste which I did not have.   So,  I bought anchovies and made my own.  You put some anchovies on a cutting board, and with a little oil from the tin they came in, you smash them with a fork and in just a matter of minutes you have anchovy paste.  If you tasted the putanesca you would never know there were anchovies in it.  But that along with some capers add a salty, tangy taste that can't be duplicated!  Delicious along with some garlic bread.  There are also greens in the sauce so I didn't make a salad but maybe tonight.
Yesterday was "Witchy Wednesday" on the The Real Housewives of Cross Stitch schedule so I participated with my little Halloween cat with 1 thread over 2 on 40 count linen....never again but I am sort of getting the hang of it.  I had to 'ditch' the lighted magnifier as it was more trouble than it was worth.  I just wear my 'cheaters' and that seems to be good enough.  It's a slow boat to China though..........basically, I got the corner done and most of the left side border....I'll just keep plugging away on Wednesday's..............
I also prepped for Fall Friday...........
I printed off some free patterns for Stars and Stripes Saturday and Santa Sunday and Merry Monday! LOL!  I have lots of Aida fabric and some linen and DMC floss to use for those.
I went to Walmart Monday and "the yard man cometh" and did a great job!  I'll take some pictures and show you tomorrow.  He mowed, weed whacked, cut down brush and weed trees and hauled it all away!   Best money I ever spent!  Today I repotted some herbs and moved flower boxes.  I'm going to hire him to power wash the drive and sidewalks too as soon as I get some money ahead.  It's looking good in the neighborhood!
Now, I'm off to do some cleaning while I still have some energy! LOL!
Happy Trails!!!



6 comments:

  1. Wow! You've been reading a ton!
    Summer is such a great time for reading :)
    Hmm.. do you know, I've never tried capers. Maybe I'll have to be brave and give 'em a try one of these days.
    Oh.. how I'm longing for Autumn!
    Where in the world is it Autumn all year long? Where ever that place is, sign me up!
    Have a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on reading all of those books. Your dinner looks delicious. I recently tried capers for the first time and really like them. It sounds as if you’re accomplishing a lot these day. Me? Not so much. It’s too hot here. So I’m knitting.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Dark Matter too! I'll have to check out the other books mentioned!
    Ali @ SimplySummerStreet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy hearing about all your activities. That is a lot of reading. Glad you got some crafting done, too. And I think that money spent on your yard was very well spent. Glad you found someone who is a good worker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting more and more selective on my books. I am tired of the explicit sex scenes and raw uncalled for language. GASP! I must be getting to be an old lady lol.

    Your dinner looks yummy. Never heard of the dish before. Not sure I could get past the anchovy paste. Gives me shiversthinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These is My Words is one of my all time favorite books! It's one that will stay with you forever. I may read it again this summer...it's time! Enjoy your day! Love your projects too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!