Sunday, July 29, 2018

YOP Week #5


Here are my goals from last week

1)  Keep searching for the I Spy quilts and my Folk Art quilt -still no luck although I did find some old needlepoint canvases that I had started probably 40 years ago!

2)  Finish the first Felici sock - I did not finish but I did finish the heel and gusset and I'm probably halfway down the foot although I do have big feet.  Hopefully next week will have one sock finished and the 2nd sock started?  Hopefully!


3)  Finish the first full repeat (20 rows) of the Falling Leaves scarf pattern and put in a lifeline - Yes, I did accomplish this and started the 2nd pattern repeat.  The way she taught inserting the lifeline was to use a smaller cable/circular needle....easy peasy!  So much easier than yarn or floss or any of a number of other techniques I've heard of.  I haven't had to use it yet but I have confidence it will work if needed.  You can see the circular needle sticking out at the ends.  I am enjoying this class and project and I have learned so much already.  It will definitely need a serious blocking when finished.
 
4)  Cut and sew up my daughter's Frida Kahlo basket - It's sitting on my ironing board...that's as far as I got.
5)  Sew soles unto slippers - nada....maybe today?
6)  Finish Pickle Dish #2 and cut material for the next one - half done...I finished the 2nd pickle dish but have not cut out the material for the 3rd one yet.

7)  cut binding for Sampler quilt if rotary blades arrive - nope
8)  cut pillowcase material if rotary blades arrive - nope
9)  do finishing sewing on 4th of July pillow -started but never made it to the sewing machine.........I watched a Vonna Pffeifer finishing video and just did the basics; no added trim or edging.....maybe next time.  I ironed on the interfacing and now I need to sew and stuff............. the backing fabric has little stars on it.  I found it in my 'stash'...perfect!

10) trace embroidery pattern on material if light box and tracing pen arrive - this got done and it was easier than I thought although I am glad I didn't choose a large project to trace for my first time and the Frixion pens worked great along with the light box...........I had to tear the page out of the book and make a copy of it and then I didn't like the freezer paper as I couldn't see the pattern very well so I tore it off and then I got to work!  I was able to do it in one sitting and I rather enjoyed it.
I was going to start last night but I need to get out my embroidery book(s) and bone up on some of the stitches she uses.........
I forgot to show you what my daughter and grandboys made and gifted me when they came to visit......wind chimes!  I hung them here for the picture but I need to find a place for them.  I'm afraid to put them outside.  I'll ask Amy if they're weather proof...probably but I want to make sure.  I love handmade anything and everything!
Grayson got his birthday gift and called me and thanked me profusely....he said "Grandma....how did you know I wanted that so much?"  I got him a potholder loom and extra loops.  I thought he would like it as he is very creative and likes making things.  What a great feeling when they like your gift.  He said he was making the first potholder for me!  It warmed my heart.....now, unto Christmas in July! LOL!
Here are my goals for this coming week:
1)  Keep searching for the I Spy quilts and my Folk Art quilt
2)  Finish the first Felici sock - I mean it....finish it and start the 2nd sock!
3)  Finish the next pattern repeat on the Falling Leaves scarf (20 rows)
4)  Cut and sew up my daughter's Frida Kahlo basket
5)  Sew soles unto slippers
6)  Cut material for next pickle dish and get started sewing it
7)  cut binding for Sampler quilt
8)  cut pillowcase material
9)  do finishing sewing on 4th of July pillow - for sure!
10) start embroidery on PINS pin cushion

I need to update Ravelry this week and also there's a SAL (sew along) with The Real Housewives of Cross Stitch podcast (Priscilla and Chelsea; mother and daughter) that I want to join in....they always have the neatest projects in cross stitch and now they're starting on punch needle....be still my beating heart!  They also have a drawing and a discount for the SAL pattern and/or kit.  I need another project like a hole in my head but it is so fun to be inspired by all these talented people.....including all of you!

Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!                                                                                                             

14 comments:

  1. Your sock and scarf are coming on great and that's a neat trick for a lifeline and one that is so much handier than waste warn. I love seeing your pickle dishes and I can't wait to see your finished cross stitch pieces. Your wind chimes though really just capped off this weeks post, I love it! Home made gifts are the best and gifts to make home made items even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recaps. You have such a positive outlook regardless of how the projects are progressing. I enjoy seeing how far each project is coming along. I love the pickle dishes. I will have to find a book to recommend you would enjoy. I think the title has something to do with a quilt pattern and it is mystery with a group of housewives during the depression. I bet you would enjoy it. Off to search my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned something new today. Putting a circular as a life line is ingenious! That way if you do need to go back, the stitches will be so easy to pick up and will not have gotten too small to get your needles through. Wonderful.

    I wonder where those quilts got to. Have you checked in my favorite hiding spot.......under the bed? Maybe Miss Peeps knows where they are. They have to be there somewhere!

    Your sock is looking great and I am sure it will be completed yet this week. Same for the pickle dish and all the other goals you have set for yourself. That is, if Amazon will comply.

    The wind chime is perfect and how wonderful to receive a homemade gift. I think they mean so much more than a store bought one.

    Have a blessed week and hopefully your storms will leave your power alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it is warm there this week and you will get lots done:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting type for using a circ for a lifeline... never heard of that before but it sounds like a great idea!

    If you’ve finished the gusset, you’re almost there! Sock one should be done in no time!

    I love hearing about your grandson’s reaction to his gift. Well done! Buying gifts for kids these days is really hard. For my nieces and nephews I make them a custom t-shirt and tuck a $20 bill into the card. That way they’ll be happy with part of the gift anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are so multi-craftual! All of your projects look beautiful but your stripey socks really make me smile. Such fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been enjoying watching Priscilla and Chelsea since you first mentioned them. Even though I haven’t cross-stitched much lately, I have still enjoyed seeing all of their projects and of course the sweet new baby Cash!
    Love the lifeline idea and will be using that next time I knit lace. Your Falling Leaves is looking great! I’m still praying that you’ll soon discover the I Spy quilts.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The longer that sock gets the more beautiful it is, Sam. The colors in that yarn are so fun! And pretty! I am going to really enjoy watching your embroidery take on color. What a cute design. And I was tickled to read the reaction your grandson had over your gift. The rest of your family must get their creative/crafty genes from you. You amaze me with all that you get done. You're so organized and intentional about it - that is key, I know. Have a great week, friend. Enjoy the rains and your sweet life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all need just one more project! heehee! I've been reading more than sewing lately but I definitely have some cards I need to finish this week! Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So the mystery continues - where can those quilts possibly be? That sock is coming along so great, and I love the colours. You've made me want to try embroidery again, especially in this heat when knitting is something of a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So where on earth are the quilts? Here's to you finding them this week. I love the socks and falling leaves is coming on beautifully. I love the colour you are using, it will go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great set of colours on the sock - I love bold blocks of colour with self-striping sock yarn!

    Falling Leaves looks very pretty - what a delicate-looking lace pattern, it's going to be gorgeous.

    And those wind chimes are amazing, I really like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing this wonderful blog.we are very thankful for this article.

    UK Mobile Phone Networks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pickle dish pattern - and how sweet is that homemade wind chime - I am sure you will find just the right place for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!