Sunday, March 25, 2018

YOP Week #39


 FO's (Finished Objects) -
I was fairly monogamous this week and because of that I was able to finish my sweater!  Ta Da!  My first sweater but definitely not my last!  I'm still thinking about a zipper, I tried it on and it fits even though I did not do a gauge swatch...I am one lucky gal!  I will do one from now on!  Thank you Lynn for the link about how to install a zipper in a sweater.  I haven't woven in ends yet or blocked it but those are minor details.  I am ecstatic about this sweater and will cherish it for the confidence it gave me.  I am one fearless knitter now!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WIP's (Works in Progress)
 I missed working on my Hitch Hiker shawl........it is such a pleasant knit and easy to memorize.
I am about half way according to the pattern but I will probably try and use up the skein depending on how big it gets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm still catching up with The Yarn Hoarder pod casts and I have gotten so much inspiration and great ideas from her for gifts.   Come July when  the new YOP year starts I have these projects to put on the list.  I thought I would preview them in case any of  you wanted to make them so you could add them to your list.  After I look at every one's list in July then I, of course, want to add all the things to my list! LOL!
First, are these wool dryer balls..........
   Amber said they are very easy to make and what a great gift plus I could use them myself.  If you like your laundry scented you can dab them with essential oils.  I was looking at this tutorial
from Live Simply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then there are aprons to make from a free pattern on Purl Soho 
I want to make them for the grands so I will probably have to do some adjusting........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She also made garlands for her Christmas trees and there were 2 kinds.........one made with tiny wool felted balls that you can buy and there was also a kit and then another less expensive option was a Walmart bead garland that you crochet around and over but she did say it was pretty tedious but then she made like a dozen or more! LOL!  Here' something similar.........
The one made of felted wool balls is easier because you can buy the balls but if you're on a budget you can felt your own...........plus, you can spread them out....they don't need to be right next to each other...............
But in looking I found one that I like even better as it is like the old fashioned ones with popcorn and cranberries...............crocheted of course.............so pretty!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, the last thing Amber made were dish towels....75 to be exact!  That girl never does anything in a small way....her motto is "go big or go home"...LOL!  I didn't even know there was such a thing as towel fabric (this is Moda) ...........I found these I would like to make for Christmas and for MOI! I think you use about 3/4 of a yard per towel.  Amber tells you all about these projects in her Episode 23.


  There are so many to chose from.  There is a grey with blue stripes that might make nice aprons for the grands!?!  Plus, I'm thinking they would make nice table runners too!  Don't ask me why I am so 'gung ho' on Christmas right now but you know how slow I am so it's not a bad thing for me to be planning ahead! LOL!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No acquisitions but they are coming! Oh, and don't get me going on sewing for my Spring/Summer wardrobe! LOL!  To see other fabulous makes and makers please visit our other YOP participants
Happy Trails!!! 

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the sweater completion. It looks great. Your shawl is moving right along too.

    I love aprons. What a great idea to make them for your grands. They will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is beautiful! That's quite an achievement! Well done...and something you will enjoy for years to come! Enjoy your evening! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the felted wool balls! I'm going to look that up. Hoorah on the sweater finish! It looks terrific. I really like the tweedy yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sweater is lovely!!! You a quite a knitter and I am jealous! You will love that hitchhiker shawl...I have seen others and they are beautiful! I hope Nitty is getting along okay...I am thinking about her:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing the sweater. You really are knitting up a storm now. Love the crocheted popcorn/cranberry garland. A blog friend makes the felted drier balls with such lovely designs in them. I've not been doing much creatively lately. Need to get my crojo mojo back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sweater looks great! You are becoming a fearless knitter and it's awesome to watch!

    I was going to mention the tea towel fabric... and then I see you've found it. My Mom made these (https://flic.kr/p/FRiDxc) for my brother, SIL and their kids from tea towelling, seam binding a coloured thread. They were really cute. She wrapped it up with a couple of children's cookbook and some silicone baking tools. The whole family loved them!

    My friend made crocheted beaded garlands but I found them too heavy to drape nicely in my tree. Love the popcorn and cranberry ones - so traditional!

    With respect to the dryer balls be careful with the essential oils. They can pose health risks to humans and pets. I've heard good things about unscented dryer balls. If you make them please give a review. I can't help but feel that there's more involved in making them than I think!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, Sandra! That sweater looks awesome. I've been enjoying watching your progress on it and I think I'm going to miss your regular installments now. Do let us know if you put in a zipper, but YAY! that it fits with nothing more needed.

    I love all the garlands, but the popcorn and cranberry one makes me smile the biggest. What a great idea! The popcorn looks real in the picture!

    I'm excited that you're thinking of Christmas gifts already. I rarely give them thought until the fall and then it's often too late, or at least too late to make something in a calm and relaxed manner. I look forward to seeing what you come up with this year.

    Have a good week, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the tea towel fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on finishing your sweater. It looks wonderful! The hitchhiker is coming along well too. I’ve seen that episode of yarn hoarder podcast and couldn’t believe she made 75 towels! I’m way behind in reading and answering blog posts. I had my tooth pulled last Thursday and it still is giving me a lot of pain. I hope you’re having a lovely week my friend. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your sweater is wonderful. I never swatch by the way, unless it is a test knit. That's not to say that you shouldn't, but I think if you like the fabric you can adjust as you go. Also love all your gift ideas from Amber - it's good to have a summary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!