Sunday, March 4, 2018

YOP Week #36

 "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein
Moving along and trying to keep my 2018 word 'FINISH' in the forefront of my mind. But even though it is, I am still slow in my finishes. I must admit.....although I would love to 'craft' my days away I have other responsibilities that call my name so I will 'finish' what  I can and in order and hopefully not jump ahead of myself too much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A L E R T.....A L E R T....A L E R T!!!!!!!!!!!
This weekend Craftsy has ALL their classes for F R E E !!!!  But only this weekend.  I just found out and not sure I have time right now but wanted you to know!  F R E E !!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FO's (Finished Objects) -
FO #1 -  I have another advent gift....#3 which is a knitted Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth.  A free pattern on Ravelry and is knitted using size 6 U.S. straight needles (an old aluminum pair I have) and Peaches and Creme worsted weight cotton yarn from stash.  I thought a Christmas cloth would be appropriate for an advent gift and I'm beginning to see why having a nice stash comes in handy! I cast on 54 stitches instead of the 44 the pattern calls for as I like a bigger cloth.
I was at Walmart last week and they had these containers for .94 and I thought it would be the perfect size for holding the Advent gifts.  Now I wish I had bought another one as I want to have one for just plain gifts to stash away ahead of time.
FO #2 - I made this washcloth for the gift box when I get it............whoops...there are some ends that need to be woven in there!
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WIP's (Works in Progress) 
WIP #1 -  Remember my goal last week to have the Tree Topper Star finished?  Well...it didn't happen.  The construction is taking longer than the actual knitting but I must admit I am being super cautious as I already messed one star up. I even made several drawings and looked at other stars on You Tube to ensure I understood how it would be sewn together.  I have all 5 of the bottom parts of the star points stuffed and sewn together and then the tops of the fronts sewn together and now I have to do the backs.  It's very "fiddly" but I am pretty sure now it is going to turn out as designed but I'm still crossing my fingers! LOL!
WIP #2 - I have another 'gift' cloth on the needles in yellow.  I think last week I said that Dishie worsted cotton yarn from Knit Picks was my favorite...well, I may be changing my mind.  I'm really liking Peaches and Creme.  It can be a teeny bit splitty once in awhile
but it seems thicker and softer to me and I am liking the finished product better.   
WIP #3 - What is it you ask?
 A scrubbie!
Another item for me  (prototype), the Advent box and the gift box if the prototype works out.  I have been wanting to try these for awhile and it is using Red Hearts Scrubbie yarn which is a dickens to work with.  I tried several patterns and you cannot see your stitches so there is no way you can crochet into them.  But, I found a pattern, here's the link
and you only crochet into spaces which you can see or at least feel.  I am done crocheting and just need to do a running stitch on the open ends and gather up.  It will end up being circular.  A very quick and easy project but like I said...not every pattern is when using this yarn.  The 'yarn' is almost like rubber! LOL!  If it works well in the sink then I will be making more of these for the gift box, the Advent box and my kitchen drawer!
WIP #4 - Didn't finish my 4 squares this week either.....more like 2 1/4......or 1?
WIP #5 - My sweater....no progress as I am waiting for DPN's size 6 U.S. to arrive so I can finish the cuff and then start the second sleeve.    
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 I have to insert this picture here for those who are longing for Spring....it is starting here in the Ozarks.......and moving North!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Acquisitions:  They have not arrived yet and when they do I will show pictures but I did pre-order Alicia Paulson's Spring cross stitch kit which will come the end of March.  I also should be getting Little Skein in the Big Wool's March Club order since it is now March!  I also ordered some Felici sock yarn from Knit Picks, size 6 U.S. 6 inch DPN's and yarn to make a pair of felted slippers!  I'm so excited!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's in the Queue -
#1 - Land of Sweets Cowl
I have to get enough mini-skeins to do the different colors.  I'll be starting on this very soon and probably ordering some minis this week. 
#2 - Some Valentine's Day socks - I'll be on the look out for VD appropriate yarn.  I heard that Lolo Did It always dyes special yarns for the holidays so I need to take a look but it will have to be in next month's craft budget. 
#3 - Something for St. Patrick's Day...socks or cowl...not sure.  I think I found a cowl pattern with a Celtic design but I would like socks too!
#4 - Gathering supplies for some scrubbies and some felted slippers I want to make....again...prototypes for gifts later on.  The slippers may be the theme this Christmas if they work out for me.  The yarn is on the way and the scrubbies are in progress!
#5 - More washcloths as I have plenty of Dishie and Peaches and Creme worsted cotton
#6 - The next ornament after the star tree topper
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What I'm "wishing upon a star" for -
#1 - My Valentine and St. Patrick's Day yarns for socks or cowls and mini's for cowl and Granny Stripe Blanket.
 #2 - Susan B. Anderson has her 2 kits back in stock..........The Loopy Sheep
and her Spring Chicken kits  just in time for Spring but where do I get the dough for all these great items?
#3 - my new over the top obsession I discovered from Little Bobbin's mother who does the most beautiful stitchery from Jesse Chorley
I'd like to do her Friendship Quilt  if I live long enough! LOL!  I may try just a little sampler on my own but check out her website for lots of other wonderful and unique items and projects.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Podcasts: Still binge watching Yarn Hoarder and I think I am on #11 or #12?  I only watch about 1 per night as they are pretty long.  I can't wait to catch up and enter her KALS/CALS and giveaways.
HappyTrails!!!!
P.S.  To see other fabulous makes please visit our other YOP participants

16 comments:

  1. Good golly.......you got quite a bit of crafting done this week. I don't think we ever get enough crafting time.

    I am starting the Yarn Hoarder's podcasts this week. Just need to carve out an hour each day to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy her! I think she's as cute as a bug in a rug! She is so prolific but seems almost professional and always gives you more content and ideas which I love.
      I try to craft on my 'breaks' else I would never get any done. I also craft in the evening when I'm done with the day and Fridays and/or weekends so I can at least make some progress. If I could just get a gardener and a cleaning person I would be set!

      Delete
  2. Your progress is great this week. You're really movin' along. And thanks for finding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go find you again now and change you on my sidebar to reflect your new site.

      Delete
  3. It's great to see your star coming together, Sam. I'm excited to see your success with it this time. I'm glad to read your comments about the Scrubby yarn. I won a skein some time back and I've yet to be brave enough to try it. I really ought to just give it away. Though I am curious how you like to actually scrub with it. WHAT?!? I'm just now reading about a free Craftsy Weekend? I've gotta go! I may be able to get in a few videos in over the 2 hours. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know but Lynn says her husband wants them instead of dish cloths so that sounds like a good recommendation. I will let you know what I think but that pattern is super easy and I recommend it.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Did you get any classes in? I didn't but I hope you did and which ones did you take?

      Delete
    3. I watched a few photography ones. They were interesting, and I think I sort of learned some stuff (about lighting and about using different lenses), but they weren't enough to infuse me with any real knowledge, I'm afraid.

      BTW, I think that pattern is what I used to make my very first knitted dishcloth and I botched it something awful. I know I wrote about it on my blog way back then. I ought to give it another go and see if I'd be any better at it now. ;^)

      Delete
  4. I think I’m too late for the classes. Darn!!! I tried knitting with the scrubby yarn and hated it. Maybe I should try again, Love all of your dishcloths. I’ve been addicted to making cozy memory squares and not a lot else this week.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is easy compared to others I tried with the scrubbie yarn. I think Red Heart realized early on it wasn't flying so they came out with an easier pattern. I'm getting tired of my CMB so I may set it aside for awhile. It is a good t.v. project though.

      Delete
  5. If I tried to sort out everything I need to finish, I'd have a list a mile long. I definitely need FINISH to be my word but I'm such a procrastinator. And really have to be in the right mood to get anything done. Have never seen any of that scrubby yarn but can imagine it would be hard to work with. Good luck with the star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a long list too...I just don't publish it all! LOL! I take baby steps as I tend to procrastinate also so I do a little bit and then reward myself with something I really enjoy....usually something mindless! LOL!

      Delete
  6. I hope those circular scrubbie aren't too painful - I feel somewhat responsible. The yarn is awful to work with but the result is really great! I hope you're happy with them! I love mine; in fact Gavin was saying I ought to make a bunch more because he much prefers them over dishcloths!

    The yellow dishcloth looks very nice and smooth and sturdy! Great colour too!

    I don't envy you the finishing of that star. It looks terribly fiddly! But looks like you've got yourself sorted out, so despite the work and effort involved, you'll be very happy with the finished result.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I found that pattern as I was about ready to take the yarn to the thrift store. SO glad you said you like them and with the new pattern I think they will make nice gifts.
      It's funny how difficult something can seem until you know how to do it! LOL

      Delete
  7. I used to make dish cloths and used the Sugar and Cream cotton yarn. Your scrubbies look interesting I will have to look for some of that stuff. You are making progress, how is Grace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace is doing better. I think maybe I quit the meds and syringe feeding too soon? Her gums and ears aren't yellow anymore and she is drinking well and eating some treats but no food. I am continuing to feed her and give her the appetite enhancement pills and I went and got more yesterday and talked to the vet and she said if she's still not eating much by next week to bring her back in. I am hopeful!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!