Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Finished a couple books..........


This was a thoroughly enjoyable book!  The kind you look forward to picking up and wish it was a "series" that would go on and on.  Unfortunately, the author got ill during the writing and her niece had to come and help her finish it so not sure we'll see any more books from her which is too bad.  I found it at the library and the gal that wrote "Eat, Pray, Love" (book was great but haven't seen the movie yet) endorsed it heartily.  It is fiction but the characters are so real and it's based on the German occupation of the Channel Islands and especially Guernsey Island and then later after the occupation.  I think much of it is based on historical fact but how much is real and how much is fiction I do not know.  They formed a literary society during the occupation and it continued long after with surprising influences and repercussions for the people who attended.   I would highly recommend this book. 


This book was a disappointment.  I'm the type that even though I am not liking a book I will continue to read to the end with the hope that it will get better or that it's leading up to something I'm not aware of but it was not to be with this book.  Don't get me wrong, the premise is wonderful and I endorse most of her views but she and Dr. Wayne Dyer have written similar books; writing an essay on each teaching of the Tao which are in themselves about a page in length.  Some of it made sense and then some of it sounded like she was on something and going off into left field.  Her work called "The Work" has been praised and if you have been plagued with "issues" your entire life this might be a good discipline for you.  Her original book definitely has merit but you can get the gist of it from her website if you're interested.  I've never read her other book(s) and maybe therein lies the problem;  maybe you have to have been immersed in her "work" before you can completely appreciate what she's saying in this book.  There were some parts that were very clear and wonderful but there were other parts that made me question either my sanity or hers.

The reason I have multiple book to talk about is because I never read just one book at a time! LOL!  I read when I go to bed and in order to "keep up" with my magazines and books I read one fiction, one non-fiction and a magazine.  If I'm not enjoying one of the books but am determined to finish it I will pick up something light to read along with it which can lead to multiple books being read.  
This book I picked up at the library actually over the Christmas Holidays.  I enjoy reading some of the Christmas books and this one fit the bill..it had Christmas, knitting, snow and recipes!  You can't get much more Christmas inspired than that!  It was a delight and I love a good mystery but this is one of a series and they refer back to previous "crimes" which always makes me want to start with the first book and go from there.  So, I usually Google the author and I'm able to find a list of the books written and in order and I print it off.  She's a good writer and I really like these "themed" mysteries based on a hobby or interest someone has.  There are all types of them out there for quilters, bakers and candlestick makers!  Enjoy a good read and share yours with the rest of us bookworms! 

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read in a while. I loved Eat Pray Love but was a bit disappointed with the movie. Not that Julia Roberts doesn't give a great performance. It just maybe didn't match up to what I felt when reading the book. My favorite series of books is the Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich. In fact, the first book, One for the Money, was apparently made into a movie and my aunt went to see it a couple of weeks ago. She's the one that got me started on the books in the first place. The other series I like is Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series (a knitting shop is the theme). I remember when Oprah promoted Gary Zukav's teachings -- I bought one of his books, but boy oh boy, I didn't know what the heck he was talking about. If I don't get a book, I can't make myself read it. I have about 5 or 10 :/ that I started and haven't finished -- one of these days I'll pick them up again. Have a great rest of the week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to have more than one book going at the same time, too! The first one you mentioned is one of my VERY favorite books! I would love to read it again! And you're right...I wish it could have gone on to a second book! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Guernsy potato peel pie society is one of my favorites, love it love it!!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!