Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic baking tribute! Scones!

First there was English Lemon Cake  which is gone.  Last night I decided to make Scones...another baking tribute to the Olympics in London.  This recipe is compliments of Tammy from T's Daily Treasures

Scones
------------
preheat oven to 425 degrees F
Blend together 3 C flour, 3 Tbs sugar, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.  Work in 6 Tbs soft butter until mixture resembles fine meal; add in 1 lightly beaten egg and 3/4 C buttermilk to form a dough; stir in 1/3 C dried cranberries.  Lightly flour a work surface.  Pat dough to 3/4 inch thick and cut into rounds.  Brush tops with a little buttermilk and bake until golden.
As usual....I was "distracted" so I set oven to 450 instead of 425, I cooked for 10 minutes which worked thank goodness but I forgot to baste the tops with buttermilk.  Despite all these mistakes....I LOVED them!!!!  
Last night I had one split with butter while still warm with a cup of ginger peach green tea!  What a great evening treat.   This morning I had them with a little whipped cream and honey....OMG!  YUMMO!
Basically they are like baking powder biscuits with a little sugar and fruit thrown in.  These are a much healthier treat than cookies, cakes etc; yet filling and just the right thing with a cup of tea.  They are really easy and fast to make and I'll be trying other added ingredients.  Thanks Tammy!  This recipe is a winner!
I got my socks going finally after a few unsuccessful tries........got the cuff done now on to the heel flap

I did get the heel flap going but it is really bad, multiple  mistakes (I cannot watch the Olympics AND knit socks...whoops!)  So, take a look but it will probably get pulled out and started over but I'm learning.  It's just frustrating to tear out all the time.....but thank goodness I have other "feel good" projects and also I do know HOW to do it....I just can't watch t.v. and do it. LOL!  I wonder if I'll ever be that good.
I hope all those competing in the Ravellenics are doing better than me!
I did get the last of my supplies for awhile..........they came in the mail this morning........
I think I'll go eat a scone before I tear out that sock.....it might make it a little easier...ya think?
I hope you're having a good Monday!  It's 106 degrees F right now....thank God for AC! I think it would be appropriate to change my banner to Summer now!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the scones. The recipe actually calls for raisins, but I like dried cranberries much better. I think next time I am gonna throw in some orange juice/zest -- I know that will be good with the cranberries. Most people say that it is hard to unravel knitting projects. With crochet, it depends on the yarn -- if there's the slightest bit of mohair, forget about frogging it. Good luck with the socks. :) It's hot as heck here -- that's why I am inside each and every day. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scones look scrummy....very British to me....love scones with whipped cream, strawberry jam and a cup of tea....they call it a cream tea here. I am plannng afternoon tea for tomorrow afternoon for family, I hadn't included scones maybe I should. I have cucumbers and smoked salmon to make some posh sandwiches with the crusts cut off...very English....not very welsh I shouldn't think though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cranberry/orange is a lovely combination for scones or muffins. Sadly, I can no longer consume wheat products so I have to look at the photos and imagine your enjoyment. We only got up to 85 yesterday but the humidity was down low enough for relative comfort. Thank goodness for large shade trees in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scones look delicious! Our MaMa Mercy (the Open Hearth Cook--we adopted her)live in PA and makes the most delicious ones I've ever put in my mouth--but, then, I haven't tasted yours! I'm going to print out your recipe and try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!