Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The grass is greening.........

It's raining again and I'm pretty sure as soon as we have a day of sunshine it will be time to mow!  I kid you not.  Our new neighbors from California finally moved in.  They bought an old yellow school bus to move here and are then going to remodel it be a motor home!  I think that is really cool!  I haven't met them yet but my neighbor called to let me know they had moved in.  I should bake something and take it to them but maybe I'll wait until they get settled.
Here is my chicken I roasted yesterday....there might be a few pieces missing...lol!  I am always loving the crispy skin after it come out of the oven...yum!   This was Lisa's recipe from Farmhouse on Boone.  I used to use Ina Garten's recipe but Lisa's is better and more down to earth....no fancy ingredients just 'downhome cooking'!
I baked some sweet potatoes in the oven also while the chicken was cooking....sometimes the simplest foods are the best.  They're so easy to peel after they've cooled.
Tonight I went out and harvested some salad greens but I thought I would show you before I harvested.  This little greenhouse has provided me with greens all winter long!  I will be doing this next year too and maybe some other items.
I took my Day #3 of The Heritage Cooking Classes and it was very interesting as it was on curing meats and even making your own summer sausage.  Plus,  how to 'smoke' meats easily in your oven!
I am truly enjoying this class.  There is also a drawing each day for lots of wonderful products.  I hope I win one!  Stay safe tonight as I hear many are having blizzards and high winds.  We have a wind warning but so far so good and just rain. 
Happy Trails!!!

10 comments:

  1. I sure hope you don't have any of those high winds...we saw so much damage on the news tonight. We had a bit of a windy day today but not bad weather. I love sweet potatoes and they are SO good for you! The chicken looks very yummy too! Enjoy your evening! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was windy today too but it is Mother Nature cleaning up and sweeping away the winter debris!

      Delete
  2. We are in the area of 45mph possible winds and bad thunderstorms tonight. I love sweet potatoes. I sure hope I can find slips this year to plant. The produce stand used to be in front of the Kmart that just recently closed. I am sure they won't be there this year sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't you just plant the potato eyes? Like regular or no? I've never planted them but would like too this year.

      Delete
  3. All yummy looking food, especially all those luscious greens! We had rain yesterday and over night and you can see bare spots in our driveway this morning. Sure, we will have to go through the dreaded M.U.D phase but in a month (or two!) we might have bare soil in which to plant some seeds for greens ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be long now...."in like a lion...out like a lamb"..or so they say!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Look at those greens. You inspire me with all of your projects and the things you get done. That chicken looks amazing. In my mind, there’s not much better than a good roasted chicken. Simple tastes. I can’t even imagine mowing the grass right now. The snow is so deep here. But we’re actually supposed to be in the 50s next week. I’m so excited.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Betsy! If you saw some parts of my house you would probably gasp! LOL! You'll have nice green grass with all that moisture!

      Delete
  5. Your greens look awesome! I am sure you are thrilled to begin mowing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't mind mowing until it gets hot. What I really worry about is will it run again this year?

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!