Thursday, March 7, 2019

Books, cleaning and knitting...........

Yesterday was Walmart again.  It seems like I was just there.  I probably would have waited until Friday but it was supposed to rain again today, tomorrow and Saturday.  It is raining right now.  While I was at Walmart I picked this up...........I have never bought one of these coloring books for myself.  This one intrigued me because after you color the picture it is 'peel and stick'.  I could use them on envelopes, stationary, a picture to frame and who knows what else.  Fun times ahead!

 I also had to drop off some books at the library so I picked up a few more as long as I was there! LOL!  Actually, this one I got last time but haven't read it yet.  Mama Pea have you read her?  She's wonderful if you like 'the old days' and pioneer times.  There's no order to reading them; they are all unique stories and so good!
Mama Pea (BTW she is A Homegrown Journal on my sidebar) also mentioned Nancy Thayer who I had never read so I picked up the one and only book they had by her.  I can't wait to try a new author.  I love recommendations from friends as we seem to travel in the same circles and usually enjoy the same things.
I have heard of Ann Patchett for years but have never read anything of hers so I decided it was about time.....

and then this book caught my eye............I read the first chapter and it's accompanying recipes last night.  This is a great cookbook to read as it is based on Southern food that is brought to funerals.  She includes actual obituaries too.....some are hysterical.  The author is from Memphis and most of the obits are too.   Great recipes although there were no cookie recipes.  Southerners seem to be cake eaters.  I can't wait to read the next chapter.


 It was nice to stay home today.  It seems like lately there have been outings of some type of errand every day. I finally got the kitchen and laundry room floors vacuumed and washed.........my step-father built this house and there are big rooms with lots of floor....same in the kitchen but hardly any countertop space and designed by someone who did not use a kitchen!  I think he was a wanna be architect.  That's Annie eating her supper.  The girls eat at 3:30 and then when the time changes they will eat at 4:30.  I really wish they would stop that time change business.....who ever thought of that.....it's crazy.
I sat down a few times to knit.  I had made a mistake and had to tear back so I put in an afterthought lifeline and it worked!  I was so proud of myself  and then I did it again as I misunderstood the directions for the gusset.  Hopefully I am doing it right but this toe-up has me confused.  That doesn't take much though.  The stripes really made the tear back easy.


 I hope you had an enjoyable day.  I am off to warm up some supper, get my jammies on and curl up in bed with books, handwork and the remote! LOL!  Oh, and my coloring book.  It's a cozy rainy night so I'll probably light a candle too.
Happy Trails!!!
P.S.  Thank you for the prayers.....they worked!  Amy and Uriah both went back to school yesterday but now Sam is sick.   Isn't that the way of it?

11 comments:

  1. We experienced rain and bitter cold on our recent trip to Jerusalem. After a week of time spent with family, I really needed to get back home and just veg which is exactly what I've done since returning Sunday night. I crave quiet time so much. Going to to the hospital yesterday was the first time that I actually got in my car and went anywhere. That coloring book looks so lovely, especially since it is stickers that can be used after you've completed the coloring. Happy reading! Happy Women's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to catch up with you! I can't draw like you so I got a book! LOL! Happy WOman's Day to you too....I had no idea we had our own day...where have I been?

      Delete
  2. Boom! Two new to me authors to add to my book list. Have you read any Elizabeth Berg? I am getting ready to read some more of her books as soon as I finish my Jan Karon book series. (She is similar to Janette Oake) Arizona does not participate in Daylight Savings Time. But we have to remember it for making phone calls. Pain in the neck. That is a very neat coloring book. I have never seen one that is stickers. Love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elizabeth Berg is good! I sometimes forget about good authors and she is one of them. I've read several of her books. I never thought about DST messing up timing in other states. We should all just not have it. It's hard enough remembering the time zones.

      Delete
  3. I've read one or two of Sandra Dallas' books, but now you've urged me on to find more. Nancy Thayer's book, An Act of Love, is one I haven't read yet. I have a list of all her books and am working my way through them. I've been surprised that some of them, although very pleasant, seem more simplistic than other ones that have a lot more substance and make me wish they would go on and on instead of ending!

    The patterning in that self-striping yarn that you're making the sock with is gorgeous. Hope they will be for you!

    P.S. I love Elizabeth Berg's writing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure when you read several books by the same author they aren't all going to be 'unputdownable' and sometimes I think it's the mood or state of mind we are in when we read them. I like to read all the books by an author when I find one I like....there are too many I like though....like they say 'too many books , too little time'.
      Yes, the socks are for me. I've been thinking we should make socks for other knitters and have trading partners because by the time I am done knitting 2 of these I will be sick of them, lol! But I love other people's yarns when I see them.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you found some really good books. That southern cookbook has me interested. I may check our library and see if they carry it. Toe up the socks confuse me too. I don’t know if it’s because I learned top down and my brain doesn’t want to process anything else or what! I’m glad you get to stay in and stay cozy. I’m getting ready to leave for the grocery store and a few other errands. Take care. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's it....my brain doesn't like to go in reverse! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you've got some more great books there.
    I haven't seen those coloring books that are also stickers...I'll have to look for for one.

    I went through a bunch of books yesterday, and ended up with four totes of books to donate, although our local library doesn't take book donations; isn't that sad?!!
    Our library is so teeny and they have the same books on the shelves that they had when we first moved here over 9 years ago.

    Have a nice weekend, and I hope it warms up and drys out for you a bit there :)

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our library is small too but they book sales and the overage gets donated to the prisons. It seems the people that are in charge aren't really passionate about books or reading....that is sad.
      I have the weather radio on this morning as they are predicting severe weather. I hope you warm up too!

      Delete
  6. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.

    BBQ cleaning
    End of lease cleaning Parramatta

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!