Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Book Date a day late....again.................

Okay, I know, it's Tuesday but I am still behind so please forgive me.  I have not blogged about any books in 2019 yet so I have to catch you up.  I wasn't sure if I was going to do the Good Read's Challenge this year but if anything it is a nice journey through my reading adventures.  Last year I said I would read 75 books but only got to 69 but that was better than the 53 out of 52 the year before.  I decided I would once again try for 75.  Here's my start.

I started this book before Christmas but finished in 2019 and although good it didn't get to their Christmas until after mine.  I like to read "holiday" themed books during the appropriate holiday but this one didn't really fit the bill.  It was a delightful story though.  
 Lots of Janette Oke books.  I'm so glad she was such a prolific writer as I love her books and there are lots more to read!
I also read this book on the Pandemic of 1918.  I was very interested in it since my stepfather's parents both died in it when he was only 3 years old.  They were immigrants from Italy and had other children who all got farmed out to relatives after their death.  Very sad but a very enlightening book.

I read this as I bought it years ago when it was a best seller........his childhood was terrible and very sad but I didn't care for it as he gave intimate details that I thought detracted from his memoir.  TMI
Last but not least there was this little gem!  A great graduation present and just a wonderful book to be read by anyone and everyone..........
Right now I am reading this non-fiction....very interesting although it seems a bit far-fetched in places but what do I know?  They're making a movie out of it if that gives it any credibility...probably not.
For my fiction I am reading another Janette Oke book.....what can I say...they are such delightful books and calm, gentle stories...what better way to end the day and drift off to sleep.
I finished reading this magazine and they are entertaining magazines.    They're old magazines but the stories are still interesting....I need to go get my next magazine to read.

It's slow going here on my little 'homestead'.....cold again, I made some peanut butter cookies yesterday and I'm putting my budget into a spreadsheet which should save me some time each month.  My daughter, the teacher has been sick with a flu bug since Saturday and she had a flu shot.  Then my grandson, Uriah called me and he is sick with the flu but has not had a flu shot.  I wish I could be there to take care of them all but then I would probably catch it.  I have had a flu shot.  I hope you all stay healthy and say a little prayer for my daughter and my grandson if you get a chance.
Happy Trails!!!

9 comments:

  1. I do love to read and wish I would make more time for doing it. (I just don't know what to cut out!) When I have the time, it's usually a toss-up between quilting, knitting or reading . . . and I'm afraid reading doesn't come in first place often. As you love Janette Oke books, I feel that way about Nancy Thayer's writing. One of her's that I'm just finishing is "Summer House." So well written about an extended family with strong story lines all interwoven.

    Thanks for listing your books. I've marked down some to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you...I have too many interests! Knitting, crocheting, sewing and quilting...the list goes on! Not counting the chores and maintenance that have to be attended to plus the canine nursing home. I'm a one woman show here but I plod along and handwork and reading get attention in the evening when the legs just won't go anymore! LOL!
      Thank you for the recommendation of Nancy Thayer. I'm stopping by the library today on my way to Walmart so I will see if I can get one of her books. Also, have you ever read any of the Mitford books by Jan Karon? They're wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I've devoured all of the Mitford books! Great reads and I wished they would never end. Jan Karon has a gifted way of capturing the essence of her characters in the written word.

      Delete
  2. Prayers for your sick family! I have heard that the flu is real bad this year. Yesterday at the clinic we steered clear of coughing people:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. I pray you and Far Guy stay well too!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you've got some good reading in so far this year.
    I just cannot read more than one book at a time, as I get the details all mixed up...LOL!

    Peanut butter cookies sound delish.. I've not made those for years, maybe even decades!
    Maybe I'll make a few today :)

    Have a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning!
    I tried to email this to you but I must have the wrong email address. So I’ll just put it here and hope that’s OK. I enjoyed your post this morning too. Jeanette oak is one of my favorite authors and I think I actually own most of her books. The flu seems to be making a resurgence out here too. There have been a coupl I tried to email this to you but I must have the wrong email address. So I’ll just put it here and hope that’s OK. I enjoyed your post this morning too. Jeanette Oak is one of my favorite authors and I think I actually own most of her books. The flu seems to be making a resurgence out here too. It has been on the news and several people in our church are sick this week.
    It was nice to get your comment this morning. I thought I would try to answer a couple of your questions. The mini stockings are for the Spokane Veterans Home for Christmas. Currently there are 91 men and nine women living there and I would like to take them each a stocking this Christmas with some sugar-free candy or other little doodad that they might like. I’m also trying to think of other ways I can be a blessing to them throughout the year. I’ve been making a lap blankets and wheelchair blankets and dropping them off for several years, but I’ve recently come to realize just how many of them have absolutely no family at all here.
    As for my back, yes, I do sit in the same chair most of the time when I’m sitting. That’s because it’s the only one that doesn’t cause the spasms to begin. If I sit in a chair at a right angle, like a kitchen chair, etc., I will start having spasms within just a few minutes. My recliner leans me at an angle and seems to take the pressure off of the nerve somehow. But life doesn’t get lived sitting in a recliner does it?
    More snow is forecast for tonight. Another 4 to 6 inches. But hope it’s on the horizon! The long range forecast shows the temperature is actually reaching 40 F within about two weeks. Such excitement is in the air!
    I hope you’re having a lovely day today my friend.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are as prolific at reading as you are at crafting! I like to read a variety too, but I have to give a special thumbs-up to fiction that has happy endings. I haven't read Jeanette Oak, but I do like Beverly Lewis and Jane Austin for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://emc-mee.com/transfer-furniture-dammam.html شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    http://emc-mee.com/transfer-furniture-taif.html شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    http://emc-mee.com/transfer-furniture-mecca.html شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    http://emc-mee.com/transfer-furniture-qassim.html شركة نقل عفش بالقصيم
    http://emc-mee.com/transfer-furniture-tabuk.html شركة نقل عفش بتبوك

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!