Tuesday, March 26, 2019

A little bit of everything...........

In the Spring I wait until the afternoon when it warms up to go outside but in the Summer it's just the opposite....the earlier the better to avoid the heat.  This afternoon I went out and finished laying the mulch in the NE corner of the house............
I'm thinking of putting a big planter there with any one or more of the following plants that like shade or partial shade.  I did some research but whether I can find these around here is questionable......
blue begonia
coleus (this one I can find but it's not my favorite....I want color and flowers)
geranium Cranesbill -  This has a purple flower and doesn't mind the heat plus my landscape colors were purple, white and yellow/orange
impatience is another I can find but they are usually red or pink which really doesn't go well with the orange brick
I might look online and see if I can find them but I'm sure it might be pricey but then driving to Mountain Home is not cheap either.
Here's the next area I need to work on................it's a little bigger and I will probably need more mulch.  I need to look and see if Walmart carries it....wouldn't that be great!  
 My trellises for my clematis finally came loose plus the string I had attached for the vines.  The containers were a nice green but have gotten bleached out by the sun.  I'm thinking maybe 2 nice ceramic ones but I bet they cost a lot.  I have a clematis on each side of the garage.  I can just hear them saying "Where's our support?  What's happened?"

The little grape hyacinth are blooming.......they're so sweet...........the only problem is I love their scent but I can't get down that far to smell them! LOL!  I better plant some in pots at a level I can reach!
I hand wound my yarn today.....that took about an hour but I got the sock going!  I'm on round 4 of the cuff.  In starting projects or gathering the materials, I like to do that in the morning when my brain is functioning better as opposed to evening when I am more likely to mess up.  I'm good to go now for the cuff of the sock which is 15 rounds.  So happy to be sock knitting again!
I started a new book last night.  Mama Pea had recommended the author...Nancy Thayer.....it's called "An Act of Love" and so far so good!  The story took off right away!
  I'm off to search for flowers, mulch and ceramic planters online and then eat my supper and off to bed where I will do any number of crafts while watching t.v.
Happy Trails!!!


 

10 comments:

  1. That corner looks so great Sam. It’s amazing the difference some mulch can make isn’t it? I overwintered some geraniums in the garage and I think they may have survived! If so, it’s the first time ever. I think it’s still a little too cold at night to put them back outside so I’ll wait another week or two.
    Good luck with the socks. I agree, it’s best to get things together when your brain is fresh. If I wait till evening I always mess up. I hope you have a great evening my friend.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy! Good job on the geraniums. I love them but they don't do too well down here. You have a great day too~

      Delete
  2. Today was so cold here in Ohio, but I hear it will be in the 60's by Thursday. We are a muddy mess, but I am hoping to take my granddaughter for a stroller ride on the sidewalk on Thursday morning. I wanted to give you a recommendation for a really fun book the next time you are at the library. Have you read A. L. Hebert's "Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles"? It is a "cozy" and the characters are so hilarious. And the recipes sound pretty good, too. It is the first in a series, the others are Murder and Macaroni and Cheese and Murder and Collard Greens and Hot Sauce. I hope you like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely look those books up as they sound great. I love cozy mysteries! Do you know there's a Cozy Mystery blog that has everything you would ever want to know about cozy mysteries. You can search for just about any theme or location you want. It's really an awesome site.

      Delete
  3. That corner looks great! Makes me want to get out into my gardens but it is still way too wet and a muddy mess. I had plastic pots that faded years ago and painted them with Krylon spray paint for plastic. The color and paint have held up for at least 6 years although they will need repainting this year. I love the ceramic planters but they are too heavy to bring in each winter so they don't freeze and crack. I do empty them but since my pots are on a deck that is a full story off the ground I can't maneuver them down the stairs easily I just know I would break them. Love seeing all you are doing with your crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I never thought about bringing them inside in the winter...I researched and they are WAY too pricey for me but I did think of some bigger ones (styrofoam) that I have in the back that I will transplant the clematis into and then see if I can buy some small trellises to put in. Just like you I thought I would spray paint the faded ones. Great minds think alike! I take it you haven't made it out west yet? Are you still downsizing? I am and it takes forever! Stop by again!

      Delete
    2. Still downsizing and waiting for hubby to finally retire. He is 71 but still loves working, now that his Mother is gone (94!) he is starting to get the itch to move. I am just afraid HIS 'stuff" will take years to go through lol.

      Delete
  4. Nice job on the corner. I think your idea for a pot with something pretty in it would make a terrific addition!

    I had to smile at the thought of getting down on the ground to smell the grape hyacinths. I feel that way too... I love the smaller flowers, but it is hard to get down on the ground to smell them :)
    Have a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!