Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The rain finally stopped!

The sun is out and the plants are growing!  A little rain and a little sun and whamo!  Yes, the weeds are growing too but can you see the tulips and the hyacinth buds?
I had to get out and do some errands today and it was garbage day....so lucky it wasn't on one of the rainy days.   I had to go to the library and take some books back and of course....if there's books I have to get some.........I always find something interesting...........I'm still reading Pandemic 1918...very informative but the rest are all new today.................

 I got some treasures in the mail too............this was my favorite..............a Valentine's Day card from my daughter and her family..............too cute!  "Wishing You A Llama Love"....llamas are really "in" right now.  My family is so good to me............and thoughtful too!  They were all off of school because of the snow....again.... so I got calls from all today.
Yesterday I was "under the weather"....I think it was Spring allergies or Spring fever?  I was sneezing and my eyes were bothering me so I couldn't read or see very well.....tired and listless.....thank goodness it only lasted one day!  I have "miles to go before I sleep"!
My cross stitch supplies came in the mail!  Yippee!
My first Christmas ornament of 2019............now I have to get some of that polka dot cross stitch fabric..............
 My first SAL with Priscilla and Chelsea with "Bless Our Home" by Country Cottage Needleworks.....it's a patriotic one..............
also my floss for Hawk Run Hollow January. I order it all from 123Stitch online.
  I got myself a little treat while I was out and about.............these are $1 at the Dollar General and there are 6 in a package ...they are good!  I love turtles and these fit the bill plus they also have chocolate covered salted caramels which are also delicious.  I'm not a big candy eater but every once in awhile I get a 'hankerin' for some.  What's nice is there are only 6 pieces in each bag so you really can't over do it unless you buy multiple bags which I never do only did once............  
I spent some time...quite a bit of time actually.........researching seeds that Roots and Refuge farm uses as they're not too far from me and how to varmit proof my yard so I can garden...........in the end it came to this................


Unfortunately this little number costs almost $2000.00!!!  Yikes Batman!  But where there's a will there's a way and there are all kinds of directions for making raised beds and the deer fencing to go at least along the sides, if not the top too.    There are also metal ones but not sure if I could attach the deer fencing to them.  We shall see!  But I am determined to garden this year and I am not sharing with those critters!!!  Are you gardening this year?  Do you have 'critters' you have to contend with?  What are your solutions to weeds and bugs and varmits?
Happy Trails!!! 

12 comments:

  1. I’m glad that you’re not feeling well only lasted one day. You have lots of stitching to do! Today was garbage day here too and the garbage truck got stuck in front of our house for over an hour. Another 10 inches of snow fell last night and they haven’t plowed our streets for about five days. That makes a total of probably 20 inches in our street since the last plow passed through. It was quite entertaining watching him get out! I’m easily amused. I’m also housebound because we’re down to one car right now. Well, we have a rental, but it’s sitting in the garage because it doesn’t have snow tires and sits way too low to the ground to get out of our snowy streets. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you as I heard you are geting blasted with storms! I was worried you would lose power.

      Delete
  2. I have a friend in the country who struggled with garden pests eating all her veggies, too. One summer her children and grandchildren all visited with her granddogs. They picked up a chain link kennel on a facebook garage sale for the dogs and then left it. She started planting her garden inside the kennel to out smart the deer, groundhogs and raccoons. Maybe that could help you and be a cheaper option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea. My neighbor has a nice fenced in area for a garden...really high fencing but she doesn't garden....so sad...I could use that area!

      Delete
  3. i hope we can have a little raised garden, I am thinking old stock tank:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my stock tank in the back but the deer can reach it plus I want tomatoes to can and LOTS of vegetables to get through the winter. I think I was a farmer or a pioneer in my last life...I just want to 'live off the land'.

      Delete
  4. I have deer, but they only eat some of the pears. However, raccoons took all my apples and peaches last year. We plan to put baffles on the tree trunks this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! When I had my farm the raccoons were the worst for my orchard....we got nothing!

      Delete
  5. We are in an area that supports more deer than you can count so we cannot grow anything (flowers, vegetables, fruit trees, berries, etc.) without a fence to keep the deer out. We have a 7' high deer fence around the whole growing area. Unfortunately, it's 20 years old now and needs to be replaced. It's still keeping the critters out, but our efforts to keep it doing the job are beginning to look a little tacky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the deer and also voles that dig under and eat the roots.....so even in my raised bed I am going to have to line it with hardware cloth....I truly respect people here that garden. I did great in Iowa but here it is truly a challenge!

      Delete
  6. Glad you are feeling better!
    Argh.. the deer! They are a menace.
    We have to use electric deer fence in the cold months, but in the warmer months, we have found a DIY deer deterrent spray that works amazingly!!!!
    I have heard that the recipe originated in the Kew Gardens in the U.K. and was developed by a horticulturist.
    It is this : 4 C. water
    1 egg yolk
    1 Tbsp. Baking POWDER
    Stir together and spray plants liberally. It really, really works!
    We have to apply again if it rains, or every few weeks as needed.
    Best of all, it's safe, doesn't harm your garden or the deer. They really detest this stuff, and move on :)
    Best of luck.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!