Sunday, September 30, 2018

YOP Week #14



 Fall is my ultimate weakness and also the Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing had me glued to the television the rest of the time.....these last 2 weeks have been a flurry of activity and a blur all at the same time.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Here are my YOP goals from 2 weeks ago since I didn't post last week:

1)  Merry Monday XS- kit up and start work on Cub's Christmas Wreath - did not work on this at all
2)  continue working on toe -up socks  -  I finished the gusset and watched Sockmatician's You Tube video on German Short Rows (excellent by the way) but  I haven't moved forward on it yet.
3)  Start the second half of the Falling Leaves scarf (20 rows of 80) - didn't touch it
4) work on Witchy Wednesday x-stitch - nada
5) work on Fall Friday x-stitch - yes, some progress was made on this......I finished the green leaves and started on the lower letters......

6) work on Stars and Stripes Saturday x-stitch - going towards the home stretch on this one!

7) work on Santa Sunday x-stitch - no progress on this one...I really lost my cross stitch mojo these last 2 weeks
8) work on hexies for Pickle Dish block #3 -  Yay!!!!  Yes...finally...........a little fall video for you............

9) Pumpkin MAL - choose and kit up -  I'm still on the fence and it started the 15th!
10) cut binding for sampler quilt- hopefully today

By next week I will be totally going by my original list as I have found things slipping between the cracks.  Here is my original YOP list of goals for this year.
 YOP 2018-2019
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* planned
** Started
*** working on
**** main project done and finishing work left
*****  totally finished!
Cross Stitch:
1) ***** I finished cross stitching the 4th of July project and it is made into a small pillow
2)  **** I also finished the mother bear cross stitch picture which was started almost 40 years ago!  I think I'm going to make it into a pillow shaped like the bear.
3)**Button-Eyed cat cross stitch small pillow or ornament
4) ***Pumpkin Spice Farm cross stitch small pillow
5)***Button Up cross stitch ornament
6) ***God Bless America cross stitch small pillow
7) ****7 Acre Pines cross stitch ornament
8) *Chicago Cubs Wreath ornament

Knitting: 
1) *****Hitch Hiker Shawl
2)  ***Falling Leaves shawl
3)  12 pairs of socks (yeah right! LOL!)
    ***** #1 - Felici Hibiscus self-striping 
    **#2 - Springtime self-striping toe-up
4)***** Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles - These are comfy and warm and soft to walk on.  I've even washed them and dried them after sewing the leather soles on.  These will wear like iron for years, I think.  As for making for Christmas gifts....I  may not as the soles alone are almost $20 with shipping not counting the yarn...we'll see.  They're easy to knit and the soles are easy to sew on.  




5)  The Karma Shawl - After looking at the pattern and the chart I am not sure I want to tackle this right now.  I am in the middle of 'downsizing' so WIPs are going to be my focus right now.
6)  **My Cozy Memories blanket (no memories just using up acrylic stash...lol!) - I've dragged this out again with the cooler temps and it's such a great t.v. watching project.  I finished one square and started another last night.



 Crocheting: 
1) **I have many WIP's in crochet....several blankets that I want to finish
2) ***Dish Cloths - like socks I think I will make at least a dozen.  I will count up what I have so far this week.
3)Benefaction hat - not sure I like crocheting hats....lots of counting........but here's what I have so far...I need to order the needle size for knitting one or more.......





 Sewing: 
1)  Wardrobe sewing -
2) School of Sewing - Shea Henderson

Quilting:
1) *** I need to finish the I Spy quilts
2) **Pickle Dish hexies will go here next week...3 of 11 finished
3)  As for real quilting I need to make one for my bed.  I already have the materials and just need to cut and sew!
4)  I want to learn the 'quilt as you go' method.  I'd like to make some dresser scarves and table runners. 

Embroidery:
1) **Wild Oaks Pincushion

Wool (applique, punch needle and rug hooking):
1) I have WIPs that haven't been touched in years and this is the year they will get drug out and worked on and hopefully a few finishes!  I'll show you when I find them! LOL!  
One of my problems in planning for YOP is wanting to make for all the holidays....not just Christmas and Birthdays.  I want a 'handmade home' and wardrobe too plus those special little ornaments for the grands.  So, I made a list of all the special days I could think of and will plug in my projects when they apply.  It's sort of a cross check so nothing slips between the cracks although it invariably will!
 Key: *  materials in house
        **  started
      ***  1/2 finished
    ****  3/4 finished
  *****  Ta Dah!!!
Holidays:
JANUARY (Winter):
New Year’s Day
My Birthday
Ben’s Birthday
*****Tracy’s Birthday – washcloth and back scrubber

FEBRUARY(Winter):
 Valentine’s Day

MARCH(Spring):
St. Patrick’s Day

APRIL(Spring):
April Fool’s Day

MAY(Spring)
Memorial Day –

JUNE(Summer):
Flag Day

JULY(Summer):
*****Independence Day – flag cross stitch
***Sam’s Birthday – robot kit and I Spy quilt
***Uriah’s Birthday – shark pillow and I Spy quilt
***Amy’s Birthday - Frida Kahlo basket
***Grayson’s Birthday – potholder maker and I Spy quilt

AUGUST(Summer):
Back To School

SEPTEMBER(Fall):
***Pumpkin Spice cross stitch 
**Wild Oaks Pin Cushion

OCTOBER(Fall):
**Halloween – Cat cross stitch

NOVEMBER(Fall)
Thanksgiving -

DECEMBER(Winter):
Jim’s Birthday
Christmas 
     1) 4 pairs of slippers (Amy,  Tracy, Ben and Jim)????

As for acquisitions...just 2 magazines...........I bought this one last year and again, it has some really cute gift ideas or self projects.....it's a good one!
This is more like a book and I have several issues of it..........this one has Jennifer Chorley in it.....I mentioned her in this blog awhile ago.  She's out of the U.K. and does a vintage take on embroidery and quilting and I love it!  Little Bobbin Knits mother has showcased many of her projects.


That should do it for this week folks!  I hope you had a wonderful week and enjoyed working on your projects.  Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!



9 comments:

  1. Your cross stitch is coming along great, Sam. And your slippers are done!!! They look terrific - I love the leather soles. So glad they fit and are comfortable.

    The Benefaction Hat - I hope to hear that you like knitting it (when you get the needle needles).
    It was the first hat I ever knit and it's so amazingly easy. I imagine any hat of this simple stockinette design is amazingly easy, though. There is no counting until I got to the decreasing. And that goes so quickly... I'd like to graduate eventually to more complicated designs for hats, but I'm on my ninth one of these and I'm still kind of fascinated by it - especially using self-striping yarn.

    We're heading in to what is likely the last blast of heat of the season. Hoping I find a day this week to powerwash the front of my house. And then I'm going to start decluttering and fall cleaning - in anticipation of cool weather setting in. I hope you have a great week ahead, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should do it indeed. I need a nap from just reading your progress. I like the idea of the leather soles on the slippers. I am going to do that too on the slippers I am making for my daughter and her husband. Thanks for the tip. I can't watch the senate hearings for too long - it upsets me too much. Good for you though for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You make me tired just reading this. I’m impressed with all you have done and in progress. Those slippers are really great. I agree that they should last a long time. Wonderful job.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That's a long list. Maybe that's why I never get anything done. I need a list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cross stitch is so beautiful. I love looking at your progress each time you post. I so want to start a coziest memories blanket. I am afraid if I do, I will ignore all other projects.

    The scarf pattern I use is called Rising Tide. It was published in Knitters magazine winter 2016. I have the issue if you can not find it. Let me know @ menoce @ cox dot net

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are making progress Sam. I hope the dogs are doing okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy! Love the felted slippers... they look so cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny I was just googling slippers... I have really long narrow feet and struggle to find slippers that fit. Doh! Maybe I should make myself some slippers! I’m going to have to give that some serious thought!

    Next time i’m near a store I’m going to look for the Interweave Knit Gifts magazines. Most of my nieces and nephews prefer cash or gift cards, but I usually like to slip in some sort of knitted or sewn ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those slippers! And thanks for sharing the Interweave Gifts - I will have a look at that, I usually like their patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!