Sunday, May 20, 2018

YOP Week #47

M A K E    M A N I A !!!!
My life is either exciting or crazy or a little of both but I'm not complaining because the good outweighs the bad for sure!  For one thing...I had to ask my daughter not to read my blog at all.  I felt bad but if you notice I have not been blogging except on Sundays and I realized it was because that was the only time she didn't read it.  The rest of the time I felt 'hemmed' in and would go to blog about something and realize I couldn't because it was 'gift' related or something I wanted to surprise her with.  So, now that she won't be reading it I feel freer to share without having to think twice.  Also, the things that I love to share are my crafting adventures.
I am also realizing that I can't 'have it all' so if I want to attain my goals and the ones I enjoy the most right now, I am going to have to make my life easier.  I am hiring a gentleman to mow and weed my yard so I can be free to do a little gardening/landscaping plus not to have to go out in the heat if I don't want to which I don't.  
I was sick this past week but didn't realize it....I thought I had food poisoning and then I thought I had a chronic problem but I never 'rested' because I never get sick.  Sick to me is when you take to your bed so I figure if I'm not in bed I'm not sick.  I had terrible headaches and spent way too much time in my bathroom but I kept going!  By the time I realized I had the flu I was over it.  Meanwhile I got the porch back in shape after the roof and cleaned my bedroom and bathroom.  I am getting my house ready to sell and that is the #1 priority right now.  Well, that and the grand boys coming.  So, not a lot of crafting was done but enough to make me happy and to get excited about some new 'ventures'......so here I go!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FO's - (Finished Objects) - None
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 WIP's (Works in Progress) -
1)  My felted slippers - I 'felted' them.  I had to take them to the laundromat as they have the old agitators which 'felt' much better and I put in some towels and a few cotton rugs with them.  They felted nicely but when I tried them on they were too big!  What is up with that?  I did a gauge swatch and also I usually knit 'tightly'.  I chose the 9-10 women's size and I wear a 9 1/2 or a 10 sometimes.....too big?  I was so disappointed as I already bought the yarn to make them for the family for Christmas.  Not sure what to do now.  Should I try felting them some more?  I guess it can't hurt except time and money to take them to the laundromat.  Knitting and I are not getting along!  I mean...I did a gauge swatch!  Hello?  I could take in a good 2 inches at the heel...that's how big they are.



2)   The yarn from Craftsy finally arrived Tuesday......9 days!  I think the pony express could do better.....it was in Memphis for 3 days.....I can go to Memphis and back in 1 day!  Also, the Lorna Laces yarn is a big disappointment!  I spent good money on that yarn and it is really not good quality at all.  The color is pretty but it's more like a cotton Peaches and Creme yarn yet it is wool.  It is very splitty and seems more DK weight than worsted.  Another disappointment!  No more Craftsy products and no more Lorna's Laces yarn.

On the bright side..........the Falling Leaves class on Creative Bug is excellent!  I have already learned a new cast on and how to read a chart.  At least this one anyway! LOL!  I am loving it and maybe taking classes will help me as I can already see I should have been using markers in my Land of Sweets cowl but the designer never told me too.  I would lose my place so now I can see why markers are important!  I did have more to show but I frogged and started over. The only size 9 needles I had were circulars but I did not like using them for this scarf so I changed to straight needles. I only have a size 10 so we shall see!  
3)  Springtime Flowers cross stitch by Alicia Paulson - I worked on this one evening and finished the skirt...big deal.....this is slow going as I have never worked on linen this small over 2 stitches.....Whoa Nellie....I hope I get my cross stitch mojo on soon!  This is not fun right now.  I used to love cross stitch but that was in the old days with 14 count Aida cloth with the big holes! LOL!
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's in the Queue -
#1 - Some Valentine's Day socks -
 #2 - Something for St. Patrick's Day...socks or cowl...not sure.  I think I found a cowl pattern with a Celtic design but I would like socks too!
#3 - Still more washcloths as I have plenty of Dishie and Peaches and Creme worsted cotton
#4 - Some leaf book markers

There won't be anything more added to the queue now since it is getting so close to YOP Year 2018-19 that any new projects will go for next year. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What I'm "wishing upon a star" for -  These will also be going on the YOP 2018-19 list if they 'make the cut'! This is way more exciting then the NFL Draft!

#1 - My Valentine and St. Patrick's Day yarns for socks or cowls and mini's for cowl and Granny Stripe Blanket.
 #2 - Susan B. Anderson has her 2 kits back in stock..........The Loopy Sheep
and her Spring Chicken kits  just in time for Spring but where do I get the dough for all these great items?
#3 - my new over the top obsession I discovered from Little Bobbin's mother who does the most beautiful stitchery from Jesse Chorley
I'd like to do her Friendship Quilt  if I live long enough! LOL!  I may try just a little sampler on my own but check out her website for lots of other wonderful and unique items and projects.
#4 - Knitting at the Library Cowl - a pay for pattern on Ravelry.  I'm thinking this may be the year of cowls or slippers....we'll see who wins out! The cowl looks like different shelves of books!  So cool!
#5 - A crochet square blocker either a DIY or to buy.......anyone have any experience with these or recommendations?  I saw this Crochet blocker with instructions to make and it looks pretty simple
You just need wooden shish-kabob skewers and a gardening knee pads

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 YOP Goals from last week:

1) finish sewing top for I Spy quilt #2
***DONE*** 2) sew tops on my slippers and felt them
3) work on Land of Sweets cowl as permitted
4) sew first project for Sewing School
5) frog Christmas Eve socks and cast on a new pair
***DONE*** 6) start Falling Leaves scarf and class
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
YOP Goals for this week:
1) finish sewing top for I Spy quilt #2
2) felt slippers........again
3) sew first project for Sewing School
4) frog Christmas Eve socks and cast on a new pair
5) continue on with Falling Leaves scarf and class
6) who knows as there are treasures coming!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Acquisitions:
1) Only 2 really....the yarn for the Falling Leaves class and another type of sock ruler.  All I need now are blockers and more sock needles.  I am still going to frog my Christmas Eve socks and take Sockmatician's (podcast on You Tube) tutorial for toe up socks.  Joanna of Stitching the High Notes took it and loved it.  She said it was so easy and understandable once you do the math.  Toe up will work as I have evenly divided the skein into 2 and when you do toe-up you can just stop when you are running out of yarn!  Brilliant!  

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Podcasts:   I watched THE ROYAL WEDDING...over and over and over again.....it was so beautiful!  Finally something uplifting to focus on in the world!  I will never forget it.  I watched Diana get married and watched those 2 boys grow up into wonderful young men.  Their mother would be very proud of who they have become.  I also admired Megan's mother for raising such a wonderful young woman with so much self-confidence.  A great role model....both of them!  Congratulations to all involved! God Save The Queen!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To get back to my Make Mania at the beginning of this post.  It refers to Stitch Mania which is going on in You Tube under the label Floss Tube but I cannot stick to just one craft so I am calling my version Make Mania as Joanna did in Stitching the High Notes.  It is similar to Year of Projects except that they pick out their cross stitch projects in May for the whole year and actually "kit them all up" so they can just grab and go throughout the year.  This could be pricey but I like the idea and most of them plan for it  throughout the year before.  So, I have chosen projects with pictures in each area of my crafts (still working on it) and it will help me not get 'confused' and stay focused on my YOP goals during the  year....in theory anyway!
What have you been working on and planning for?  
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To see other fabulous projects from YOP members click here
Happy Trails!!!





8 comments:

  1. Have everyone make a pattern of their feet for you...then cut them out of cardboard, that should help you. Make notes and keep track. Surely these will fit someone! I know some yarns felt better than others,,,never give up!
    I just came in from mowing for the 1 st time....oh well it is easier than shoveling snow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam - toss the slippers into a bucket of near boiling soapy water and use a plunger to agitate, then shock them by rinsing them in cold water, and put in a hot dryer - hope yours is working! a hair dryer might work if it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the boiling water and a plunger, then cold water. Hopefully that will do it. They “should”felt more than the picture is showing. Good for you in hiring some help so you can do what YOU want to do and I’m sorry you were sick. That’s definitely not fun. I wish we we retiring and selling our house. Unfortunately the need for medical insurance is what is keeping Dennis working now. Hopefully in a few years we can retire back to the Midwest near family.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could help you with the felting but alas, I have never done it myself.

    Lornas Laces.......I have used it once. Found it scratchy and not forgiving in the case of needing to undo any of the knitting. I will say the colors are gorgeous but for the price......I too was disappointed.

    I tried the project in a bag last year. Didn't work for me. It might work for you though. I change my mind too often lol.

    Fingers crossed your house sells quickly .

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all our home trauma in the later winter/early spring, I finally allowed myself the freedom to pay someone(s) to do jobs I would have done in the past - mostly painting. Actually, remnants of vertigo is what convinced me - I simply couldn't look up long enough to finish any high details, or paint any of the repaired ceilings.

    As far as mowing the grass is concerned. I've been spoiled having three boys, who over the course of the last twenty years have never balked at having this chore (until the oldest showed obvious allergies - but by that time the next oldest was ready to take on the task). The youngest (who's still at home) has been harder and harder to catch to ask him to do it because of his busy schedule, but he has helped whenever he can - and hates it when his Dad feels compelled to mow. I haven't felt the least bit compelled to cut grass in all that time. I can't imagine going back to it once it's just me and DH living here again. I'm all for supporting the local teen economy and hiring a young person to do it. OTOH, DH is counting on buying an acquaintance's riding lawn mower to make the job easier on him. I have no idea where he thinks he's going to store it (our shed is presently too full), but I don't feel like I can complain if I'm not willing to share the cutting at this stage in life.

    By the way, Sam, thank you for your recommendations for podcasts. I enjoy checking them out and finding new inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your posts - you have so many interests and projects on the go. I am glad you have some helpers with the mowing. It takes me three days to mow the lawn cause I need to go in stages and trust me, my lawn is small! I hear you about banning people from reading your blogs when a surprise is in the works. Hope she took it well. :) Glad you are feeling better - headaches (I know!) suck. We need to sell our house too, I think, but can't seem to pull the trigger. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely try to felt the slippers some more, sometimes the felting process just takes a little longer, or rather, a little more effort. I hope it'll work out. That friendship quilt is really amazing but just thinking of all the handstitching neccessary has me in stitches. LOL. I never even got round to sewing that very, very simple rag quilt I had been talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sam :) Oh I hope you're feeling better. I'm not good at being sick at all. I can't stay in bed, I get way too bored! I think it's a good idea to have asked your daughter not to read your blog, that way you can blog away with freedom and not have to hide prezzies! :) Good idea to hire someone to do the gruntwork on your lawn. I have Alex for that ha ha! :) Actually we don't mind mowing and tending to the lawn. He's not a fan of the heat but I am big time, so I can do it on really hot days!

    The slippers look great! The yarn you got is so fall-like very lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!