Saturday, January 27, 2018

Cooking and Baking and Candlestick making!!!

This a rural road in Iowa and is very similar to the road I lived on when I had my little farm.  That is what winter is supposed to look like! LOL!  Today it rained this morning and all night too, I guess.....I was sleeping.  The sun came out this afternoon and it is about 60, maybe a little less.  They had said it would rain all day and so I decided it would be a good day to bake and knit or knit and bake............it would have been a good day to wash windows actually but who knew?  Obviously not the weather people! LOL!  To be honest, Iowa doesn't look like this..not this winter anyway.  They have had very little snow and none on the ground right now.  It's been fairly warm there too.
So, I made biscotti.........cranberry and pistachio....pistachios are not cheap especially the pre-shelled ones but with arthritis, shelling nuts is not exactly something I excel in.   I had wanted to try this recipe at Christmas as it is festive looking with the green pistachios and the red cranberries but alas I never got to it..............but today I did.  It's not a complicated recipe or process at all and it went really smoothly except for the slicing.   They tend to crumble easily or at least mine did.  At times like that I wonder if an electric knife would do a better job?  They bake twice and although they are finished now and cooling, I haven't actually eaten one but I did snack on the pieces that fell off and if that is any indication I think these will be a favorite!  
This was the best picture I could get as I am still using my tablet and the cord isn't very long.  
I'm adding more recipes to my recipe section and as soon as I give this one the final okay...I think you will be finding it in there.....at least until I find a better one! LOL!  If you want to make them tonight here is the link
Also, here is the recipe picture..........
recipe active photo 
Oh, I also made a great salad this week.......orange romaine salad...very easy with a recipe for a honey vinaigrette to use with it.....yum! 
recipe active photo
Here' s the link to it and it is also in my recipe section.
Have a nice evening!  Oh, as for the knitting and making.....stop by tomorrow for YOP Sunday!
Happy Trails!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Where my family lives in Iowa (storm lake) the schools were closed a day or two this week for snow.

    Those biscotti look very yummy. And woukd be grand with a morning cup of tea or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's up North...my family lives in and around Cedar Rapids (middle and a little East). They were hoping to get some snow....but it went North of them....obviously to Storm Lake! LOL! Did I know your family lived in Iowa? Are you from there originally?
      BTW....what does it mean when your AST (liver function) is high? Just after you mentioned yours I got my blood work back (had to call for it to be mailed to me)
      I had to call twice to ask what it meant and then the nurse said to stop drinking and stop taking Tylenol. I told her I haven't done either! She said she'd get back to me....really? I think it's the new RA meds but they didn't mention that when they prescribed them. My AST was normal last year and that's the only thing that's changed since then except I'm getting older. LOL!
      The biscotti was excellent with my coffee this morning! I'll be putting the recipe on here in my recipe section.

      Delete
  2. Although I feel cold most of the time when inside because of concrete walls with no insulation, we've had a very mild winter and no rain to speak of. For sure pistachios and cranberries are a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the biscotti was yummy! If I'm too warm I think maybe my BP is up and if I'm cold I think maybe I have blockage somewhere....thoughts of an old person! LOL!

      Delete
  3. I love biscotti and your cranberry/pistachio sounds like a lovely recipe. We've got rainy weather for today, all day, so I'm lining up some indoor activities as well. They promise more cold soon, so these mild days are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT tasted great too so it will go in my recipe section in case you ever want to make it. The sun is out and warming up but this coming week is supposed to get cold again...makes it hard to plan!

      Delete
  4. oh my this pistachio biscotti look so delicious!
    this is lovely that you listened to your heart and spent day the way you wanted to
    in such cold weather baking is therapeutic and knitting is also best hobby for the season as we stay indoors lot meanwhile

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!