Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pinterest Priorities.............

I don't know about you but I can spend hours lots of time pinning away on Pinterest.  I'm so inspired by the work and creativity of others.  I have pinned thousands of things and have quite a few boards with new categories popping up all the time.  But wait....why am I pinning all this stuff?  Because, for most of it, these are great ideas or places or things I don't want to forget about and also, just maybe, want to do myself.  But alas, I keep "pinning" but not "doing".  Although, I must admit I did a few things for Valentine's Day and  even Christmas  and that's what got me to this great idea.  I'm going to  pick 5 items per week from different boards of mine to accomplish in whatever way that means for that particular "pin".  Anyone want to do this with me?  I've already chosen my pins for this week....I haven't accomplished them yet but I'm getting there....quickly as it's already Thursday!  "Yikes Batman!".  Just let me know when you have your picks or your finishes and I'll put a link to your post on my blog here.  
To show you what I'm talking about here are my picks for this week:

1.  Digital Wallpaper for projects on my DECORATING board
2.  Research Oyster vs Scribd, the new Netflix of books in my BOOKS WORTH READING board
      3.  Make streak free window cleaner in my CLEANING board.
      4.  Make little felt bunny in my CRAFTS board. 
      5.  Make amigurumi gumballs in my CROCHET board.
 To give you an example of a "finished" item - 

   #2 -  I researched Googled Oyster and Scribd and they ARE  like a Netflix for books but I saw a lot of older books out there and plus I don't have an e-reader (a prerequisite) but I satisfied my curiosity and I can cross that one off my list or delete it from my pins or both.
   For #1, I had been "pinning" some favorite wallpapers I liked and thought maybe I could print them off and use them somehow.  Not to wallpaper a wall but maybe something?  I guess I was wanting a change and some color somewhere.  So, I printed these off as full pages...........






  I decided I would affix one of them (I chose the blue one with the branches) to the glass doors of my bookcase to not only hide what's inside but to add a splash of color to my room.  I had to print off 16 of them to cover the glass.  Here's the before.........



   
                      And here's the after.......

        Do I like it?  No.  Did it turn out like I thought it would?  No.  Would I do it again?  No.
It did add some color and hide the "innards" of the bookcase but here's the thing.  You would have to glue the entire sheet of paper to the glass in order to get it to lay flat, double sided tape is like $2.50 a roll and I used almost 3 rolls.  I used all my colored inks in my printer...that about $40 right there $60 max.  So, if I were to do it again I would use fabric and make a gathered curtain on the inside of the the bookcase doors.  Live and learn, really.   But this is exactly what I wanted this "5 Pins a Week" project to do....stretch my creativity boundaries.  If I only ever copy others ideas I will never have any of my own.  Granted, this one didn't work out too well....LOL!  But one of these days there will be one that does and it will take the internet by storm!  Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little but like a photographer that keeps snapping pictures in the hopes that one will be a great shot.....that's what I'm doing with my Pinterest pins.   Of all the hundreds, thousands that I've pinned....some of them are bound to be great!     


                   3 more to go before Sunday!  I'm off to "pinterest"....I've just made it  into a verb.  Happy Trails!






3 comments:

  1. Interesting idea and a good way to challenge yourself! I had no idea about Oyster and Scribd, so thanks for the tip :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just joined the ranks of pinterest - I can see how easy it would be to build up a large collection!! I like the idea of 5 a week, but don't think I would have time - I would like to join you with 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does add color! I understand your frustration...you probably could have bought paper and glued it to foam board on both sides and had a better turn out. Foam Board can also be painted..now that's an idea for you! You could do both sides different and change it as you wish..holidays? I can see the wheels spinning in your heard now:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!