Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WIP Wednesday....(works in progress)!


Oh, I have plenty of these!  I've tried to work on something in each area but I have so many areas that it doesn't seem like I get much done and I'll be adding another one.....sewing some clothes for myself since I can't seem to get anything to fit well anymore.  Here's what I have this week...........

1) Crochet - some of you may have seen this already so I apologize if it's getting monotonous! LOL!  But I have a made a little progress since Sunday.  This is my Blackberry Salad blanket/throw.
 
 2) Knitting - Since this is my first post on WIP Wednesday, I will show you all my WIP projects (just currently working on in each area....there are lots more lurking in corners and closets! LOL!) and then each week I will only show you if I've made progress on them.  That motivates me to work on them so I can show you!  And of course, looking at all your progress inspires me to work on mine too....it's a "win-win" for everyone!  This is my second pair of socks I just started...this time with the right size needle!  Ha! Ha!   I just realized it called for a size 5 which I thought I was using on the last pair only to discover it was a size 9 needle that I used!  Now, I am making a pair with the size 5 called for and a shorter, less curly circular needle which is going much smoother I must say!  Not much done yet but the fact that it's cast on and down the road a bit on the ribbing is great since I am not a "seasoned" knitter but trying to be!?!?!
3) Cross Stitch and/or Embroidery - This is a Cath Kidson kit that came in a her "Stitch" book.  It uses a plastic waste canvas which since I haven't cross stitched in eons is a bit of a pain for me but I've managed the middle bouquet and now just have 2 little side flowers to do and then it will be sewn up into a little purse...more like a short pencil case in my mind.
4)  Wool and/or Applique -  Oh, how I love this fiber but so pricey but then quality is usually never cheap!  But I am a champagne gal on a beer budget when it comes to fiber.  But thank goodness I have a stash of it from my days up North at the Goodwill Stores.  This is a folk art quilt I've been hand appliqueing and stitching for probably the last year or so.  I also just joined another SAL (stitch along) that is doing another quilt by the same designer.  Thus, I need to get this one done and get hopping on the other one!   Next week  I'll show you all the finished blocks for this one and a picture of the next one in case you want to join up!  It's a side button on the right of my blog so feel free!  The more the merrier!  Meanwhile, I will just share the current block I am stitching on.  It is hand appliqued using the blanket stitch and then depending on the pattern there is hand embroidery done to accent the block.  This one is actually one of the plainest blocks on this particular quilt.  i hand dye and over dye a lot of my wools.
5)  Quilting - I guess the above quilt could be called quilting but I keep my wool projects separate as I also hook wool rugs but that's another day.........another post! LOL!  I haven't quilted much or long but below is my very first quilt that I made in a class for a sampling of blocks and techniques.  It's done and machine quilted (not by me) and all I need to do now is trim off the excess material and bind it.  I will have to get my notes and books out as I can't remember how to do this part and I'm afraid of cutting too much material off. 

I learned a lot in that class and one is to not chose busy background fabric for your blocks!  They said to choose a light fabric but they didn't say much about staying away from busy prints which I adore!  LOL!  Live and learn but I still love it....it's my first.
This is SO fun to be involved in these groups....I've been living under a rock!  LOL!  Now I'm off to see what all of you have been up to!


4 comments:

  1. Great wip's Sam! I love the turquoise you've added to the blackberry and way to go you on the socks you'll be a seasoned knitter before you know it! Love the applique it looks like such fun but really I've no more time for new crafts lol. I'm just finishing up my book this week and get to start something new then on the reading front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks great. I love that blackberry one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh you're busy!

    Your over dyed wools look sumptuous! You didn't list dyeing as a WIP but maybe you should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a pretty quilt! Your projects are coming right along:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!