Sunday, January 13, 2019

YOP Week #29

Finishes:
1) The cowl is done....this is the 2nd one....the first one was a gift for someone.............again this is a free pattern from Fiber Flux....I crocheted it  using 2 different skeins of Red Heart Unforgettable held together.  Easy and fun to make.  I'll be stockpiling these too...........

2)  I used up all my remaining Red Heart Scrubbie yarn and so it's a finish for now....I have more than 10 of them..........again this is crocheted

3)  I accomplished Our Happy CAL Place (group on Ravelry) week #1 CAL which was a pot  handle cover.....there was a knob cover too which I totally did not see......I'll have to go back and do that.....this a nice practical project which is quick and easy and uses very little yarn so it's great for leftovers.  I love that group and there is also a monthly CAL and I was going to do that too. I got all my materials together for it.  It was a shawl.  I got it going last night and felt so good about my progress and the fact that it was a project I had the yarn for and had frogged a while ago........until this morning...... when I realized it was knitted not crocheted! LOL!  I am nuttier than a fruitcake!  I guess I'll just have to start another project....what's a girl to do?   These would also be great for the 'gift stash'.............


WIPs (works in progress):




1)  C2C Blanket -  I did remember to move the progress keeper...........it's getting too big to try and fit in the picture plus it all looks the same anyway...lol....it is dark and cloudy today and the lighting is terrible...I apologize.........



2)  You could call this a finish but it needs to be blocked...badly..........I had no trouble with the kitchener stitch but it is a little noticeable! LOL!  It's for me so I guess it's okay.  I'll not make this again but if I do it won't be with silk yarn!  It is really flimsy and slippery.   It turned out quite small for a scarf.  Maybe it will stretch to a decent size with blocking and maybe the 'seam' won't be so noticeable.  I think maybe I did it too snug.  The stitches look fine otherwise.  I really did learn a lot with this project so I'm happy I did it.
3)  Here's the knitted shawl I started.  I frogged this a while ago and so I had the yarn....it's Malabrigo or what's the other yarn that starts with an 'M'?  Anyway, it is a yarn color called dachshund so I had to have it as I have a miniature dachshund and my Rottweiler is the exact same color as the dachshund.  It is fingering weight and you only need 1 skein for this shawl!  But don't trust my memory...it's on Ravelry.  It's an easy pattern to memorize and I could barely put it down last night...very satisfying knitting.........I still can't watch t.v. though....lol!
4)  Here's another new cast on for Ben's birthday......the Bankhead hat which I have been wanting to make for quite awhile....both this pattern and the Multnomah shawl have stories with them and I am all about meaningful names and stories to go with my handwork and recipes.....it just makes it so much more enjoyable to know the history and inspiration behind them.  There is orange yarn also as this will be in Chicago Bear's colors.  It is Knit Picks Mighty Stitch which is 20% Superwash Wool and 80% Acrylic worsted weight.....machine wash and tumble dry and oh my is this yarn ever soft!  It's luxurious!  Where have I been?  I've never heard of Mighty Stitch before.  I highly recommend although it has not been machine washed and tumble dried yet but so far I am loving working with it.
 I am also enjoying the Bankhead pattern......
5)  I did not stick to my cross stitch schedule this week as I was busy 'de-cluttering' and working on Ben's hat when I took a break but I did manage to work on Fall Friday and just have the mirror image of the top border to do..........
6)  I worked on Santa Sunday last Sunday and did the red on his outfit..........


Acquisitions:  My new A Year in Hawk Run Hollow chart arrived so I need to kit that up. Just January for now.........
I watched the Yarn Hoarder's most recent podcast and she was trying to use up her stash so she decided to use clear plastic containers to 'kit up' her next projects she had planned........I had just freed up the exact same containers after 'de-cluttering' this past week (using the Konmari Method) so I decided to do the same with my WIP's.  Once a project is done and the container is empty I can fill it with another project.....hopefully another WIP to finish.  Plus, everything is together...yarn, pattern, needles etc.  No hunting or searching plus Miss Peeps can't get at my yarn.

TOP 10 WIP's:
1)  Falling Leaves scarf - needs blocking
2)  Pickle Dish
3)  America x-stitch - done but needs finishing
4)  Amy's Frido Kahlo basket (July birthday) - done but needs to be sewn together
5)  Pin's embroidery
6)  Heart bookmark for V-Day - done but needs backing
7)  Toe-up socks
8)  Scrubbies - done so here's a container freed up! This will now be Ben's hat
9)  Christmas cowl - done another freed up container! This will now be Multnomah shawl
10. C2C blanket for Grayson (July birthday) 

NEW STARTS:
1)  Ben's hat
2) Multnomah shawl
3)  a crocheted shawl project for CAL

 Finishes so far in 2018-19: 
1.  4th of July cross stitch pillow/ornie
2.  Hitchhiker shawl
3.  Felici Hibiscus self-striping socks
4.  Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles for me Sam
5.  washcloth (extra large) and back scrubber for Christmas or birthday for SIL
6.   Iowa Hawkeye hats for Sam and Grayson
7.  Techniques learned so far this year: a) knit cast on, b) reading a knitting chart, c) lace work, d) inserting and using a lifeline e) charting a graphghan
8.   dishcloth(s)...I need to count them
9. Cubs hat for Uriah
10. 12 days of Christmas Advent gifts
11. Cowl for Ben
12. Cowl for Tracy
13. Cowl for Natalie
14.  # 2018 Collectible ornaments for the grands
15.  Cowl for me or gift basket
16.  11 scrubbies for gift basket
17.  1 pot handle cover for gift basket


I have a question for you all.........I want to make a blanket using wool but how do you keep them clean?  You can't throw them in the washer or dryer right? But they would be way too heavy wet to wash in the tub and who wants all those chemicals from the dry cleaner?   A curious mid wants to know how you maintain large wool items like blankets or throws.   Thank you for any light you can throw on this subject.  
 Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other  YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!

















11 comments:

  1. Hmmm. When you get an answer to your question about washing the wool blanket I will be interested too. I have a king sized mitered blanket made out of odds and ends of sock yarn. it has been on our bed for a couple of years. I imagine putting it in the tub and then laying it out on the lawn to dry but have yet to tackle that. As usual all your starts and finishes leave me speechless. How many hours a day do you craft? I craft about 5-6 ours a day so you must be more, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't craft much during the day at all. Just a 15 minute break here or there. I have too much house to take care of and meals and animals. I do it mostly in the evening while watching t.v. if it's something that doesn't require concentration. I don't think my hands could take 5-6 hours a day! LOL! I can't sit that long either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you get done is truly remarkable, well done. I love your cowl and your kitchener looks lovely - I'm sure it will block out a little and you probably won't notice at all! As for a large project - I don't know, I don't have one yet, but I can imagine doing it on a hot day and laying it on the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golly gee.....I have never made a wool blanket. I cannot imagine trying to hand wash and block something that big. I take it, the wool is not washing machine proof? Even on delicate cycle and cold water? I hope you find your answer. The Multnomah shawl is a great pattern to do. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. How is your declutter going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You get so much done in a week Sam, it's always amazing coming to see what you've gotten up to. Love the cowl and your Kitchener is just fine and won't be noticeable once the scarf is blocked, which should stretch out nicely with the silk content. As for the large wool blanket, I can only imagine doing that on a hot sunny day and laying it out on the lawn to dry out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The silk will feel lovely against your skin so it shouldn’t be an issue if it’s snug. You could maybe reach out to Melissa from Knittingthestash blog as she makes a blanket each year so she may have some tips on washing them. She’s on Ravelry too. I will check out that blog you’ve mentioned with the container idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several very old wool blankets, I keep them in pillowcase in the cedar chest. I do not want to use them because I don't want to take them to the dry cleaners. They were my inlaws expensive Hudson Bay Blankets. At the resort I used old wool blankets as extra blankets, I washed them in cold water and hung them on the cloths line, it worked great but they were not top of the line wool blankets...some were pea green color called army blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I forget, I want to let you know I was able to download Decluttering at the Speed of Life on Hoopla and I have been listening to it. It's motivating to listen to a new take on decluttering. I think I can manage this woman's plan. Tomorrow is Monday - a perfect day to begin. Again. :)

    I love how that cowl turned out Sam. I've never thought of combining two different coloways of RH Boutique yarns and crochet or knit them at the same time. I've worked with them side by side (doing a linen stitch), but your cowl turned out really lovely.

    And I've also downloaded and printed out that Bankhead pattern. That looks like a nice hat that a man would be happy to wear. I'm on the lookout for such hats, as I am ever the optimist that someone male in my family will someday like to wear something I've made - something other than a scarf, that is.

    I hope you have a good week, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got so much done Sam. The cowl is beautiful and I like the hat pattern that you’re making too. I have made several Multnomah Shawls. In fact, my niece asked me to make one for her to wear on her wedding day. It turned out beautifully, as did the others that I have made. I know you will enjoy this pattern. Did you know that it’s named after the big waterfall down in the Columbia Gorge? We stop there often on our way to Portland, Oregon. All of your Crosstitch patterns look great too. You are an inspiration! Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is WOW! I've accomplished a whole lot of nothing so far this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.

    carpet steam cleaning
    End of lease cleaning Bondi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!