Monday, January 14, 2019

Monday - Book Date finally..........

Well, it's about time I blogged about my books.  I'm sorry to say I did not meet my Good Reads 2018 Challenge of 75 books.....I read 69  which is more than the 52  I read in 2017.  Do I want to do a challenge this year?  Not sure....I want to read Outlander and Harry Potter which are HUGE books and series.  I think the challenge should go by number of pages read as I found myself avoiding the longer books so that I could meet my challenge and I still didn't.  We'll see.........
Books I've read that I haven't posted about are:

1)

If it's Janette Oke you can bet I will like it and this one was no exception!
"  In Heart of the Wilderness, young Kendra Marty goes to live with her grandfather after her parents die in a river accident. But what can a trapper living in the backwoods offer a small child? Will Kendra ever be ready to face the scary and confusing world far from the wilderness she loves?"

2)

" Eight-year-old Lucy Turnbull knew better than to wish for a pony that Christmas in 1937. Her mother had assured her in no uncertain terms that asking for a pony was the same as asking for the moon. Besides, the only extra mouths they needed at their boarding house were the paying kind. But when an interesting pair of strangers comes to town, Lucy starts to believe her Christmas wishes might just come true after all."
This was very enjoyable reading for the Christmas season.....highly recommend.
3)  

I just finished this one last night but it is a great Christmas read!

"Barry Laverty, M.B., is looking forward to his first Christmas in the cozy village of Ballybucklebo, at least until he learns that his sweetheart, Patricia, might not be coming home for the holidays. That unhappy prospect dampens his spirits somewhat, but Barry has little time to dwell on his romantic disappointments. Christmas may be drawing nigh, but there is little peace to be found on earth, especially for a young doctor plying his trade in the emerald hills and glens of rural Ireland.
Along with his senior partner, Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, Barry has his hands full dealing with seasonal coughs and colds, as well as the occasional medical emergency. To add to the doctors' worries, competition arrives in the form of a patient-poaching new physician whose quackery threatens the health and well-being of the good people of Ballybucklebo. Can one territory support three hungry doctors? Barry has his doubts.
But the wintry days and nights are not without a few tidings of comfort and joy. Between their hectic medical practice, Rugby Club parties, and the kiddies' Christmas Pageant, the two doctors still find time to play Santa Claus to a struggling single mother with a sick child and not enough money in the bank. Snow is rare in Ulster, and so are miracles, but that doesn't mean they never happen. . . ."

Plus, at the end of the book are authentic Irish recipes for Christmas!  I'll be having an Irish Christmas Dinner next year!

As for what's on my nightstand?  I went to the library today and couldn't resist these pieces of literature................
I picked up 2 Janet Oke books; A woman Named Damaris and Roses for Mama.  I also renewed A Quilt for Christmas by Sandra Dallas which I didn't get a chance to read.  I picked up Faith, A Journey for All by Jimmy Carter, and Pandemic 1918..."eye witness accounts from the greatest medical holocaust in modern history".  My stepfather's parents both died in that epidemic when he was only 3 years old.
I didn't get to my Konmari today as I had to go to the vets and get the girls their meds, I went to the library and to the grocery store....hopefully tomorrow I will be back at it!  It's clothing drawers this week.  I have done a little practicing of her folding method and it really is efficient, prevents wrinkles and saves tons of room in your drawers!  See you tomorrow!
Happy Trails!!!




3 comments:

  1. I watched her fold clothing...I was tempted to try...do they really stand up by themselves? I have deep drawers mostly and figure it would leave too much space in my drawers. I did clean out one drawer...I couldn't close it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding more time for reading is a goal of mine for this winter. So far I've managed to do better than usual but not as much as I want. That book of Patrick Taylor's has been on my list for a while now. Your recommendation may push me to get it sooner rather than later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the pandemic of 1918. Now I'm curious to know more. My dad was born in 1913, so he would have been just 5 at the time. I found The Flu Pandemic 1918 by Kristin Marciniak on Hoopla. It's a juvenile non-fiction, so maybe not the same one you read, but looks like I've found another book to listen to while I crochet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!