Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Growing things and a harvest!

 I thought it died out last year but this coreopsis came back with a vengeance and I have all kinds of starts from it.  I cleared out this washtub so I could plant cucumbers in it....
which I did.............
 and some of the coreopsis went here..............
this is my second harvest of peas...snow peas that is...........I use them in salads or just eat as a snack...........
strawberries are coming but I usually don't get too many............I need to make a separate area for them.........
I got 2 so far.........lol!
the honey suckle is blooming and smells so good.............
I saw these on the edge of my property...thistles in bloom..............beautiful......they were a much deeper purple than this photo shows.............
The roses are going crazy with so many blooms they're falling over.....I thought these were those little rose bushes but they are huge and I think maybe in the 'rambling' family?  They have no scent either which is so disappointing.  I wanted roses with a great smell.....back to the greenhouse!
Yesterday was a beautiful day here albeit hot but I got out early and transplanted and watered.  Before that though I made myself some French toast.........the best French toast I've ever had!  I kid you not!  The big difference is my homemade bread and some tips I found on the internet.  The bread needs to be sturdy not wimpy Wonder bread.  Also, fry it up with oil or oil and butter but not plain butter....it burns before the custard and inside bread are cooked.  I also soaked the slices for about 20 minutes and turned over 1/2 way in between the soaking time.  I added a little brown sugar and vanilla extract to the egg mixture............yum!  The only problem is I didn't take a picture of them cooked! LOL!
I cooked them all and I was going to freeze them but who am I kidding?  These are so good they'll be gone before the end of the week!  
Today is pick up the yard (all those sticks from my neighbor's tree) from the storms.  There's more planting and watering and I think I'm going to use the 2 kiddie pools I have that the grands have outgrown to use as raised beds after drilling holes in them.  I'd like to paint them first as they look pretty childish but maybe not as I need to get the plants in.  I hope you had a nice Memorial Day weekend or just a regular one and I hope you all stayed safe from the storms that seemed to be everywhere but here.  
Happy Trails!!! 







12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your garden area and that you're already harvesting snow peas! You are much more energetic than I am. I'm still at the lake but when I go home tomorrow I will have lots more rhubarb to harvest so I think I'll make Dennis a pie. He's been hinting at one!
    Enjoy your Tuesday my friend. I know you'll fill it full with activity as you always do.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd trade you all my snow peas for just a few stalks of rhubarb...how I miss it! I had a big bed of it on the farm but down here it doesn't grow....I tried. Lucky Dennis!

      Delete
  2. We have family that bought a house with a lot of strawberry plants. I'm pretty sure they won't do anything with them, so I may be reaching out for some. I can't plant new plants this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! You go girl! Are you flooded out or are you able to plant this year?

      Delete
  3. You will have coreopsis all over! :) You are a busy lady...I am still thinking about flowers and which ones to plant...it may freeze yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really....a freeze is possible still? Whoa Nellie!

      Delete
  4. Oh your harvest is coming along nicely! We don't tend to get many strawberries either, one day I will crack that one! You talking about French toast has made my mind up for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad too because the ones from the store are so tasteless.....HUGE but tasteless. I used to love fruit but I buy little anymore as it's all tasteless.

      Delete
  5. I love French toast! Great tips! I use stale bread when I make them but I never followed the oil/butter tip, next time! You have two strawberries! Honestly that is a good harvest if you are in my boat, lol...the chipmunks ate all of mine last season, I'm hoping this year they'll stay away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this french toast.....best I've ever tasted and/or made....and I've made a lot!

      Delete
  6. Coreopsis has always been a loved flower, especially since my husbands grandma gave us our first coreopsis when we were young marrieds :)
    I once had a variety of coreopsis called Jethro Tull, and I remember it being esp. pretty.

    Oh.. that is good info about cooking French toast in oil! I never knew that about the butter burning, but it makes perfect sense. The next time I make French toast, I'll give cooking it in oil a try.

    Have a sweet rest of your week.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it! How sweet to remember a 'newlywed" wed plant given to you by a loved one. I think that is a great gift.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!