Monday, July 23, 2018

Monday - 07/23/2018 Book Date!

I am hoping to get back on schedule this week.  It seems to take me a month to recover from company or a week for every week they are here.  I finished a book and a magazine and acquired a few more...........I found this November 1982 issue especially  interesting about the Anasazi and the different tribes of the Southwest.  Also their history and the pottery they made and how they survived in such a hostile environment.  Even the ads were interesting as 1982 seems not that long ago to me but if you look at the car advertisements the styles are really old!  Amazing!
I also finished Morality for Beautiful Girls which was very good as usual.............his books are wonderful and I truly enjoy them.
I went to the library this morning and returned the books.  I never did get to read A Team of Rivals....maybe some other time.
Before I left for the library I was looking for a recipe on Pinterest and up popped a post about 17 books you won't be able to put down.........intriguing!  I had to go see it as I am behind in my Good Reads Challenge and thought it would be good to get caught up by reading books I couldn't put down!  It was a post by The Modern Mrs. Darcy whose blog I follow.  She has excellent recommendations for books.  I wrote them all down and went off to the library not expecting to find any of them but lo and behold I got 2 of them!  Here's a link to the blog post. 
Here are the 2 books I got....
 I already started reading this one and I'm on chapter 7.......I think Anne (Mrs. Darcy) was right!
I'm still reading Alan Alda....very good non-fiction......much of it about his family, values, and speeches he gave....a very wise man and so genuine and kind.  I'm enjoying it.
Remember this one?  I put it down to read Alexander McCall Smith books and so I have picked it back up again.  I had just started it and hadn't gotten very far so I restarted.  So far so good.............
I picked out another National Geographic to read.  This one is a little more current........2014...lol!
I also ordered what I thought was a wonderful math book I loved in college that I loaned to someone and they never returned it..........it wasn't the same one.  This one is very skinny while the other one was quite thick.  But there are problems in it and I do love me some math work.  I'm thinking it might help to keep my neurons firing. My grandson Sam wanted my old Chemistry book so I gave it too him but I used to read that occasionally too.  It's hard to retire from science.....
 As for television, I have become a news/political junky but after the news I've been watching Dr. Blake Mysteries on Netflix and have only watched a few podcasts.  What have you been reading, watching or listening to?
Happy Trails!!!




5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how it 1982 doesn't seem very long ago until you see the ads? LOL. You certainly are a diverse reader. I am re-reading some of my series mysteries from my own library. I just finished the D.A. series from Erle Stanley Gardner and I just started the Cackleberry Club with Laura Childs. I have so much furniture switching and room painting going on that I am afraid to bring home library books. I set them down and forget until I get the overdue notice in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is a busy time, I read blogs and many magazines. Hope you get caught up on your rest soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always share a variety of books and give me ideas for some I'd like to read. I'm reading more this summer but mostly mysteries. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy that you get so much reading done! But it is an excellent way to recuperate. I'm currently reading Managing Cover Crops Profitably by SARE (the USDA's Sustainable Agriculture Research and Educational program).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.

    Cleaning Services
    End of lease cleaning Neutral Bay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!