Monday, November 6, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading, watching, and/or listening to?

A few finishes or one maybe but still slogging through The Mysteries Of Udolpho.  My daughter already finished it and thought it was good but she is also a speed reader.........me...not so much.
It's well written and the descriptions really put you right there but it is a long book and I already get concerned and think something is going to happen but so far nothing....
I read this book for my non-fiction and finished it.  It was a quick read but didn't inform me like I thought it would.  It was more a biography but interesting.  I think she self-published it through Kindle or Amazon.....not sure but she has like 7 or 8 books out and a blog at KateSinghsite.wordpress.com   It was very inexpensive but even that was too much money for it.
Amazon stated:  "This is a true story of one family and their journey towards a frugal and sustainable life. This is the author's story from a childhood with money issues on into a marriage with the struggles that come from lost jobs, moving, and starting over on one meager income and, not only making it work but thriving and enjoying a good life. This is a story of being poor and not feeling a bit of it. It's about living richly and having more than other more wealthy families may experience. It is about the joys of a simple life and how to make one income work even when there is no income for a bit of time. Can you have very little money and still have it all? Yes, it is a matter of knowing what is truly important in this life."
I am now reading Hiking Through...........for my non-fiction..........so far so good........but I just started it last night..........
Amazon states:  "After Paul Stutzman lost his wife to breast cancer, he sensed a tug on his heart--the call to a challenge, the call to pursue a dream. Paul left his stable career, traveled to Georgia, and took his first steps on the Appalachian Trail. What he learned during the next four and a half months changed his life--and will change readers' lives as well.
In Hiking Through, readers will join Paul on his remarkable 2,176-mile hike through fourteen states in search of peace and a renewed sense of purpose, meeting fascinating and funny people along the way. They'll discover that every choice we make along the path has consequences for the journey and will come away with a new understanding of God's grace and guidance. Nature-lovers, armchair adventurers, and those grieving a loss may not be able to hike the AT themselves, but they can go on this spiritual pilgrimage with a truly humble and sympathetic guide."
I finished The Vintage Christmas magazine which was not worth the money.  Most of the photos were of blogger's homes.  In fact, one of the bloggers I've followed for years now! No sense spending money on magazines when they just pick from blogs......I can do that for free!  I did enjoy the knitting magazine I mentioned yesterday and that one I got my money's worth for sure!
I'm still listening to the Daily Hope podcast....such a great inspiring and helpful podcast.  Plus, I am caught up with Crochet Cupcake, Stitched in Sweden and The Little Tailoress podcasts.  Now, it's on to The Bakery Bears....I think I left off at about podcast number 52?  As for my Bible reading, I am still in Deuteronomy but almost finished with that chapter.  The Julia Cameron book, It's Never Too Late to Begin Again is a task list and before I can read more I have to do the tasks/exercises.  I don't mind but I haven't started them yet.  Also, I am revisiting a book I previously read  Just in Case for being prepared for any type of event and what to have on hand or pack in case you have a disaster or have to evacuate.  It's a good book and of course, there is lots of info on Pinterest to supplement it.
That's all for this Monday. Oh, did I tell you I watched the movie Practical Magic for Halloween and loved it.  It stars Sandra Bullock and was recommended by Caroline...Crochet Cupcake's mother who is The Inspired Professor on Ravelry and Instagram.  
What have you been reading, watching and/or listening to?
Happy Trails!!!

12 comments:

  1. I'm reading a long long book...but enjoying it! Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell. It follows a family through history. I'm in the 1860s right now. And we watched Poldark last night. It's good but every show is SAD!!! Would love to read the book about the AT hike! Our home in NC is very near the AT and we usually hike part of it when we are up there. Enjoy your evening sweet lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hike the AT but I am scared of heights so I probably wouldn't get very far! LOL! I think I am going to read Poldark. A friend of mine said she couldn't put the books down. I only watched a few of the episodes. I remember Taylor Caldwell. I'll put that one on my list too. Thanks, as always, because I love your recommendations!

      Delete
  2. Currently reading cheesemaking books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound good too. I am leaning towards some natural yarn dyeing and want to order a book on that...I love learning and I can tell you do too. Cheesemaking is on my list also....not enough hours in the day and the older I get the less productive hours there are! LOL!

      Delete
  3. That last book sounds very interesting. I'm glad you at least had some good reading this week. Books can be a gamble as it may be hyped up about and then your opinion may be totally different.
    I finished my fantasy last night and have started a cozy mystery about a peach pie contest. I listen to on/off the sixth Mercy Thompson book. I watch a bit of a knitting podcast now and then: I caught up with Stitching the High Notes and with Cherry Purls. Now I'm on Purls and Pinfeathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so far...I'll let you know! The cozy mystery sounds good. I like Stitching The High Notes but haven't watched her in awhile now...I need to catch up...there's so many good ones out there! I'll have to check out the other 2 you mentioned. I like the ones that include a variety of things or at least 2 like knitting and sewing or crocheting and knitting.

      Delete
  4. A lot of the magazines do pull from blogs now. Hiking Through sounds like a book I would like. I've got a couple of books I'm reading right now that are nature related. I have Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way. It's not what I expected but so many people highly recommended it. It's a huge book filled with lots and lots of words. One day I will try to start it again. It also includes daily exercises to do. I've not found a craft podcast yet that I can really get into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too funny...."a huge book filled with lots and lots of words"! LOL! Her morning pages are how I started journaling over 20 years ago. Journaling is like some people talk about running....if I don't do it...my day just seems off and about the only time I don't is when the grands are here if they come in to climb in bed with me early. I love watching podcasts while I'm doing crochet or knitting or handwork....I try to line up the type of podcast with what I am working on at the time. So much more interesting to me than regular t.v. although I do watch news on You Tube to keep up with all 'the crazies' running the world. I watch a variety of them as too many of the stations are run by the same 'crazies'.



    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sam :)) Oh that's too bad about the book...there are lots of books like that, they promise the moon and don't deliver. It's like those Pins on Pinterest "10 tips to feeding your family of four for $100 a month"...nothing I haven't heard before lol...the Hiking book sounds interesting, I hope it turns out an interesting read!

    I saw Practical Magick years ago and liked it. Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I'm going to have to be more discriminating about books and recipes!

      Delete
  7. Book read your daughter sounds quite thrilling!
    the one you just started also sounds interesting.
    simple story of common family must be charming because i believe that real life stories are most compelling one
    i loved lovely words at side bar though could not read your profile description as my eyesight did not help me to defeat the sharp orange background .
    best wishes for your wonderful skills my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baili, here' s my profile and I hope you can read it better! I stopped by your blog and love it. I hope to read more from you.
      Hi there! Welcome to my blog. I am retired and yet I still love to work but now I get to chose the projects! I hope you find motivation and inspiration here as I do from the blogs of others. Thanks for stopping by! P.S. My email is slicher@centurytel.net but I don't go through Blogger as Windows 10 now requires my email password so it can it be out on "the cloud"....sorry MS and I apologize to my followers for the inconvenience but you can still email me but just not from within Blogger.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!