Sunday, August 4, 2019

YOP Week #5

                                                       
If you don't read my blog through the week than you might not know that my son passed away July 24th....thus the reason for my absence on YOP.  I posted about it in the post before this one if you want to read it.  I also had to have my little Annie girl put down while I was up North.  I will have a few updates at the end of this YOP post but for now I will show you what I've gotten accomplished these past weeks.  Which isn't much but I was grateful for the handwork I had with me.  At a time of great stress....handwork is like a "port in a storm".
The only project I took with me was My Granny's Afghan cross stitch.  It was easy to pick up and put down along with some Beatrix Potter mystery books by Susan Wittig Albert which I highly recommend.  Here's my progress so far.....working on square #5 of 39..........


While I was in Iowa my daughter took me to a yarn shop.  I have never been to a real yarn shop and it was amazing!   They also carried wool, needlepoint and cross stitch supplies.  I needed some supplies that I was going to order online but I was able to get everything I needed at the shop. 
  Along with some sock yarn...they are the same color although it doesn't look like it..........so let the sock knitting begin!
With the new needles I was able to start the Helix hats that  I'll be making for Christmas............they are a 'stash buster' project......

I did not keep up with my cross stitch "days" but yesterday I managed to stitch for Stars and Stripes Saturday........I finished the white row and started stitching the white on the red row and then I will stitch the red on the white row..........
I need to get back to my YOP list and ensure I am "on task" but baby steps....

A couple days before I got the phone call about my son, I saw these crows or ravens in my beck yard.  I've never seen them grouped like that and they stayed there for a long time.....now I wonder if it was a 'sign' of things to come.................
Friday was a rough day.  Jim left everything he had to me and I was able to get it all packed in my Tahoe and unloaded it when I got home.  I was going through his things and found the gift he had told me he had for me.............
 a beautiful shawl and card.........I will cherish it forever...........


 He had been hospitalized several times before I knew about it and he didn't want the doctors to tell me until there was no hope and that's when I got the call.  He knew for a long time.........I was blessed to find this gift from him.  Despite his problems I never once doubted he loved me and I hope he never doubted my love for him either...........
 I also found a picture of Jim's dad and I when we were high school sweethearts.  I thought that picture had bit the dust years ago but evidently Jim had it.   We had our senior pictures taken and then one of us together.  It's hard to believe I was ever that young....and no wrinkles! LOL! 
  I also lost my dear little Annie who was the happiest dog ever....while Nitty was the stoic type...Annie was the welcome wagon.  She was full of joy and I hope she is now united with her big sister, Nitty, and Jim who was Nitty's original owner before me. 
Yesterday was good.  My dryer died but it forced me to hang clothes outside on the clothesline that Jim had built for me several years ago.  I mowed the lawn in the morning and being outside was good therapy.  I've always felt that hard work helps a person work out problems or sorrow and makes you so tired that you sleep well regardless.  I came in and took a nice bath, had a nice supper and slept well.  Grief is a slow process and I'm not sure I will ever totally get over it but I also know Jim, Nitty and Annie would not want me to be sad for long.........I'll try not to be but no promises.
I want to thank ALL of you who left comments of love and support.  I cannot tell you how much it meant to me.  You are true friends and I missed you all.  I am so glad to be back and plan on catching up with all of you.

Please stop by here and see all the other beautiful makes from the Year of Projects group.Happy Trails!!!




13 comments:

  1. I so understand how hand work (and also hard work) can sooth, or maybe just help one deal with great stresses and sorrows. Again, my heart goes out to you over your great loss, Sam. I don't have the words to say how touching I find it that Jim prepared a gift and hand-written card for you. I'm crying as I read it. And that he kept a picture of you and his dad... How sweet. It seems to me an evidence that we never outgrow our need for our parents' love. Hugs to you, friend. While far away, you're close in my heart and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet gift from your son. I am sure you will treasure it forever. I am amazed at how much stitching you did get done. There will be days where your grief will hit from no where. Let it happen. To loose Nitty Jim and Annie is such a short time has got to almost too much for one person to bear. You have such a strong faith and are a strong person. Your blogging friends are here whenever you need us. You are very dear to me and my prayers continue for healing if your heart, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, you are such an inspiration both now in your time of deep sorrow and always because of your uplifting outlook on life. You personify the old adage, "When life gives you lemons . . . " and you've had more than your share of life's hard times recently. It will take you a while to get back on an even keel, but that's to be expected. You're a wonderful writer and if it helps to put your feelings into words, there are many of us reading and sincerely caring about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, warmest thoughts are winging your way. Too many losses. :( I'm glad your son got to express his love for you and the picture he saved of you and his dad is so sweet. Your wisdom shines through in your post and I hope healing and peace come in time. And you are so right, hand work and hard work are part of the process. {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift is the card your son left for you. He obviously loved you so much and knew you loved him, too. There is nothing better. I am so joyful that you found this and will have it to keep. Continued prayers for peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely last gift and card, I hope it gives you some comfort. Be good to yourself. Take one day at a time and know that I care about you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Sam. The card from Jim had me sobbing out loud. Jingles was staring at me wondering what was wrong. What a precious gift. Proof that he was a good man despite his demons. He loved you so much that he bought a gift -- a shawl, no less, to wrap you with his love. And the card is so very beautiful. I am really and truly so sorry for your loss. God bless you and keep you. Blessings of peace and comfort, Tammy

    P.S. You are so right about our hobbies keeping us sane. It's good to keep busy making and doing things. There will be enough quiet moments where you are able to reflect and grieve. Take care of yourself. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. How precious to have the card and gift from your son. It made me shed tears too. You've sure had a lot of sadness this summer. I am keeping you in my prayers my friend. I know you stay busy and that's a good thing too. Take care of yourself. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam, you are the most amazing person I know. I left a message on your last post, but I say again I am sending you all of my love as I just cannot imagine how hard the last couple of weeks have been. Your projects as always are fabulous, but the best of all is to find that present from Jim. I think for what it is worth, that the gift shows without doubt that he knew exactly how much you loved him. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam, my heart just aches for you. Jim, Nitty and Annie all gone in such a short time. But oh, what a wonderful gift Jim left for you. A shawl to wrap around your shoulders as if his arms are around you, and a card with a tangible message of love. I'm crying as I write this. Somedays it's so hard just to put one foot in front of the other and you, my dear Sam, are an inspiration to us all.
    I will be praying for you my sweet friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Betsy has perfectly described everything I wanted to say too. A shawl as a gift from your son is just so perfect, something to cuddle in, to wrap around you when you are cold, to snuggle under when you need time to grieve and to feel your son’s love wrapped around you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I continue to wish you well Sam. That note from Jim is priceless and I lament for Annie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet and thoughtful thing for your son to do for you.
    I'm sure that he knows of your love for him.
    We parents love our children and nothing that they ever do could put them outside of our love :)
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!