Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Renewed vigor~we'll see how long it lasts! LOL!

My headache went away and I felt great yesterday.  I must admit it wasn't even dark when I went to bed Sunday night but I slept a good long time!  I think I have avoided several illnesses by going to bed when I'm tired and of course now a days there is no alarm set.  So, I got busy Monday morning and picked up the yard and filled the mower and was off mowing.  It was a beautiful day and after the rain the lawn looks good.  It's supposed to rain again this week starting tonight so I wanted to get it mowed before it got any taller.   While I was mowing I noticed something way up high in the big cedar tree...............I couldn't believe it!  A wisteria vine had climbed all the way to almost the top of the huge cedar at the end of my yard and was blooming like crazy up there!  Obviously it was not afraid of heights.  
 
I have no idea where it came from and I never noticed it before this year.  My old neighbor had one but had it chopped down but I hear that once you have a wisteria you ALWAYS have a wisteria!  They are hard to get rid of.  I'm not sure if it will damage the tree or if they can live harmoniously....we shall see!  I was sad when the neighbor cut hers down because I thought it was beautiful.  It was a darker purple than this one but this one is probably drained from climbing all the way up that tree!
After mowing I came inside and made my Easter dinner albeit a day late.  I made the ham with the cherry glaze and it was delicious.  Very moist and not salty.  It was a Smithfield ham which I had never had before but it was a rump and it still had the skin on and was very fatty.  I looked for a shank but there was none.  I carved it up today and there is as much meat for me as there are scraps for the girls.  I also saved the juice and pour some on their food each night.    I got a nice ham bone from it with lots of meat left on it.  I was going to vacuum seal but I was out of bags.
The riced cauliflower was easy but a bit watery but draining it in it's  'riced' condition was out of the question so I just used a slotted spoon for it.  I probably won't be buying it again as I prefer fresh.  The fresh seems to be more flavorful.  
Now, on to the ginger and maple syrup glazed carrots!  Oh baby, oh baby!  I will be making those again and again and again!  This is before they were roasted in the oven......the recipe called for those fancy colorful carrots but I just bought the organic ones and that was the only variety they had.  I quartered them length wise and then in about 2 inch segments......I wanted to utilize that 'glaze' which made these carrots my favorites!
I think both recipes were from Midwest Living recipes online.  If you need the link let me know.  I'm off to have supper now......I can't wait!
Happy Trails!!!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read you're feeling better, Sam. That wisteria growing in the tree is very pretty. My Magnolia tree has finally dropped all of its blossoms and the Red Buds and the I-don't-know-what-are-the-white-blossomed-trees, have set my little town all abloom. I do love spring. And this spring is a beautiful one! Your carrots sound amazing. Mmmmm Going to look that recipe up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the white blossomed are either Bradford Pear or Dogwood. glad you are enjoying your Springtime! You will really like that recipe I think and carrots...even organic are so inexpensive compared to some vegetables. Although I am partial to asparagus and artichokes too.

      Delete
  2. I was so glad to read that your headache is gone. They drain so much energy from a person. It sounds like you were up and running on Monday though. That wisteria is beautiful up in the tree. I have never seen that before! Your Easter dinner sounds lovely. Those carrots sound really delcious and your girls must be loving the leftovers too. :-)
    We're enjoying our time at the beach. Two more days before we drive the 8 1/2 hours home.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the beach? Are you in California? Or Oregon? I better go check your blog! I've been so busy taking care of the girls and trying to keep up around here. Enjoy your vacation where ever you are and have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!