Thursday, February 15, 2018

Staying calm and carrying on!

What a busy week so far!  Yesterday the "roof boys" wanted to come over and work on the roof but I said we were done....I paid them their final bill for what I don't know.....it still leaks worse than ever  and I told them to take their trash that they left also.  They asked for a trash bag....my 13 gallon weren't big enough evidently so they said they'd be back.  They loaded up the trash and then later I looked out and they left it out by the street for my garbage pickup which had just happened so it will sit out there for a week before it gets picked up. 
I also got my Walmart grocery order which is so heavy with cat litter and cans of dog food that I have to unload it where ever they leave it.  They use so much paper I think it took a whole tree plus 4 boxes.  On top of that I never know when it's going to arrive so when it does I have to stop what I'm doing and unload it.  I'm lucky it wasn't raining.  It's been great with free shipping and not having to expose myself to the flu which is rampant down here.  Plus, there's no "impulse" buying at all.  But in the long run it wastes lots of paper and is actually inconvenient.  When I grocery shop, I plan my list and the day and allocate that time for it but this is one big interruption and it doesn't all come on the same day.   They really need to train their people on how to pack more efficiently but their boxes are made so cheaply that they can't put too much in them or they fall apart...ask me how I know.  So, we shall see but for now I think I will be going back to the hands on grocery shopping.
I've also been trying to find a doctor but can't get in until May to a gastroenterologist.  If it is pancreatic cancer I'm done for! LOL!  It still bothers me but it is not excruciating.  I have called my other doctors but they're not getting back to me either.  Maybe it's just as well as I really don't want to sit in a flu-infested environment like a doctor's waiting room! 
On the bright side, Grace has recovered!  Even her gums are getting pink again instead of yellow.  She's eating well and all seems good again. 
I have cleaned out my dresser #1 drawers and have 2 more boxes in the back of my car to take to the Thrift Store.  I only have one more corner to go and then it is either on to the bathroom or the closet for 'deep' cleaning.
Still working on my star tree topper ornament and the Cozy Memory Blanket which  will take years probably! LOL!  But I did place an order for some "special treasures" which I will share when I receive them.  I ordered 3 more books from Thrift Books;  The Handmaid's Tale, #3 book in the Aunt Dimity series and the #2 book in the Outlander series.  I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and it was excellent!
Today I ran uptown and picked up a prescription, some belated Valentine cards and more cat food.  This is really the first day I have felt decent in about a week.  I needed to make a meal so I made this soup which I will share the recipe if it's good.  It has black beans, celery, carrots, onion, sweet potato, diced tomatoes, garlic, vegetable broth, bay leaf, smoky paprika, salt and pepper.  You put it all in the pot and cook  until the veggies are tender and then add fresh spinach just before serving.  You can also use your slow cooker for it. Very healthy and good for you.  It smells wonderful cooking.  I just hope it tastes as good as it smells.  I hope you are all doing well and I will try and get around to everyone to visit soon.
Happy Trails!!!  

15 comments:

  1. I am just so sorry about everything...but happy about Grace! That was the same run around I got for a cardiologist referral before I got my pacemaker. But when my heart decided to stop in an actual doctors office they decided maybe they should hurry it up a bit. I think it's ridiculous the amount of time they make you wait. I'm told that part of it is that a lot of doctors "retired" when the new healthcare stuff rolled out. They lost lots of providers and the ones left can't keep up with their current patients and new ones too. Who knows. I hope they have a cancellation and you can get in lots quicker.
    I've been trying to avoid public places too, but it came home to me in the form of my sweet husband. He had the flu about 2 1/2 weeks go and had a few good days and is now really sick again. He went to the Dr. yesterday and he has bronchitis as a secondary infection from the flu. They put him on antibiotics and we're hoping that does the trick. So far I haven't succumbed and I hope that continues. Lots of hand washing and sleeping in a different room!!!
    I've wondered how that online shopping is going for everyone. I don't think I would like it but have considered the ordering and curbside pickup so I wouldn't have to go inside and touch the carts. Walmart's prices are considerably more than the store I usually shop at though so I prefer to go to Winco. They sell bulk items too which makes things much less expensive.
    I hope you're soon on the mend my friend. I hate the thought of you not feeling well and being by yourself. I'm praying for you daily.
    Blessings always,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your prayers are working! I slept great last night and no pain. I was getting to the point where I was afraid to eat as it would hurt digesting it seemed. So sorry Dennis got the flu and then bronchitis! Ouch! I'm glad you are staying well. I wish we had a Winco or something like that. I'm used to being by myself and if need be the grocery store here in town and the pharmacy will deliver. God takes good care of people who live alone! LOL! I've been blessed with very good health so I can't complain. You 2 take care of each other and I hope Dennis feels better soon! Thank you so much for your prayers and concern....it definitely helps.

      Delete
  2. See if you can get on a if someone cancels you can fill the spot list. You may have a stone that is causing you some problems...that duct has some curves in it I think...keep drinking water and stay away from fatty foods..and anything else that makes you sicker. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this.
    I am happy Grace is better.
    I am off into the Flu infested world for groceries tomorrow. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did say they would call me if there was an earlier spot and also she encouraged me to push my regular doctor and to go to the ER if I needed to. She was really nice and compassionate. My other 2 doctor's (GP and RA) did not call me back all week....heads will roll! LOL! I do drink alot of water about 32-48 ounces a day and thank you for sharing your knowledge since your daughter has gone through...bless her....it is not fun but I feel better. There was only one really bad night and the rest has just been uncomfortable and now I feel lots better so I hope it has healed or gone away or whatever. Don't breath while you're at the store! LOL! So glad to hear Gene is feeling better and stronger.

      Delete
  3. The soup sounds like our sweet potato black bean chili. Yum. Sorry to hear you can't find a doctor until May. Hopefully, they have an opening before that. Good to hear Grace is healed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too....the sweet potato makes all the difference! I got spinach leaves fresh but I think next time I will get frozen chopped spinach. It was delish! I will definitely be making it again and I will post the recipe. then you can see if it is the same one....I bet it is. This one was called Fat Flushing Soup....not a very appealing name but I had all the ingredients and it did sound healthy!

      Delete
  4. Sam, I order all my dog food from Chewy.com and am very happy with it. Check out their website and see if it would work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but my vet has approved the Pure Balance at Walmart for my dog with allergies so I think I will stick with that.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe what a 'pain' your roofers have been. That is a shame that you had to pay them anything! Hope you have a good day today my friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I think I have a little 'spare change' something always comes up to grab it! Thankfully, I had the money and still managed to purchase some treasures for myself...I got Christmas but then there was my birthday and Valentine's Day so I owe myself more treasures! LOL! Hugs to you too and I promise I will be over!!!

      Delete
  6. My daughter uses Kroger. I am not sure if you have one near you. She orders online, selects to use cheapest brand and what time she will pick it up. It is bagged in easy carry bags and she has never had a problem. Keeps her out of the germy store with her toddler and no impulse buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a Kroger near by but there is one about an hour or so away...I wonder if they ship at all. I love Kroger and they have a great selection! Thanks for telling me. Maybe I should try the pickup instead of the shipping.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear that your roof is still leaking even after whatever it is that they did. I think I would have paid only a portion and told them that since they didn't do the job properly, they didn't deserve full payment. Really irks me when workers can't clean up after themselves. It is a constant here and everything is always so trashed because there is no pride in cleaning up after oneself. I'm with Far Side of Fifty -- drink lots of water and eliminate certain foods to see if you start feeling better. Eat lots of fruits and veges and cut down on meat and added fats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pushing the water although I usually drink quite a bit anyway...I have 1 cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. Thanks for the tips as you are an expert in healthy eating and I mean that as a compliment!

      Delete
  8. Still worried...and those roofers...how rude.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!