Monday, August 29, 2016

It's Monday...what are you reading?

I forgot to show you my audio book last week....so here it is...and I finished it............quite the comedy and enjoyable.  The reader was great too!
Here is my next audio although I haven't started it yet.  The Capture of Cerberus, I think.  I've never heard of this Agatha Christie title.
I finished another great Maisie Dobb's mystery!  This is book #4 in the series.  I need to order some more and also the 3rd Harry Potter book which wasn't at the library.
My fiction and my library book is A Pool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler.  So far it is good writing but nothing too interesting yet but then you need to get familiar with the characters and the setting so we'll see.  I'm not very far into it.
Still reading this magazine........it is good and I'm not even from the East Coast but I'm getting a good taste of it through the articles, ads and fiction.  
I'm on Chapter 2 of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (non-fiction) and it is interesting so far.  I would really like to just sit and read it until the end but I have to "tidy up" so much I don't have time! LOL!  I'm going to take Kay's suggestion (from the Bakery Bear's podcast who is also reading it) and read the entire book before I start "tidying".
I haven't cooked anything from Mama Dip's Family Cookbook yet but I'm going to this week starting with a breakfast dish.  I will be making a Grits Casserole which serves 8 so I will cut it in half when I make it.  It says it is good served with fruit and muffins so I will ensure I have those on hand too.  I love serving suggestions because it seems that is the most difficult...to know what to serve along with a dish especially the first time.  I can't wait to make it!
I went to Walmart today and I usually don't buy magazines anymore and most of the time I don't even look but today I thought I'd wander over to the book/magazine section and look what I found!
A special England edition of Victoria magazine!  I love England and all my British friends that I've made via my blog and their wonderful podcasts.  So, of course, I had to pick it up!  I am looking forward to perusing it's pages tonight with a cup of tea.....ahhhh.....pure heaven! 
But that's not all!  There was this one staring me in the face too...............SIFT put out by my favorite flour company, food blog, recipe site and accessory shop...King Arthur Flour Company!  Ahhh!!!!  I can't stand it!  Oh, the only thing that could make tonight more perfect would be a nice thunderstorm with some winds blowing the rain against my window (which hardly EVER happens because this house has giant eaves) but even without a cozy storm......I am very, very happy tonight!  Gosh!  I hope I haven't missed any issues?  So excited! 
That's what I've been reading and will be reading this week.  Oh, I almost forgot...for my Friday night "Pizza and a movie"....I made my homemade pizza, of course, and I watched Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (1991). I wanted to watch it because Bakery Bear's podcast #34 is where they visit the places where they filmed the movie in England.  It was a good movie and I really like Kevin Costner.  The scenery is beautiful and I am looking forward to visiting it with Kay and Dan on their podcast via You Tube.  
What are you watching, listening to and reading this week?  Please share!  Happy Trails!










14 comments:

  1. You amaze me how much you get done and how much you read.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I have so many interests and only so much time left to enjoy them! LOL!

      Delete
  2. I need a little magic to tidy things up around here. Wish I could twinkle my nose like Bewitched. :) I have that book and will start reading it again. Did buy a few magazines while in the States and some books, too. You always have so many books and things on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Tammy! I wish I had magic wand or something because the older I get the slower I get! Oh, what books and magazines did you get? Living where I do is like living on another planet...there's nothing here. Thank goodness for the internet!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam,
    Now if you love England you should be following the Susan Branch Blog. She even wrote a book about her travels in England, and she is leaving the the Queen Mary for another trip, "over there -over- there". So if you do look at her blog, check out her older posts to. She is always cooking and playing house and being famous.
    Lets see I started this book and so far its really good. Hope it stay that way."THE HOUSE BY THE DVINA" by Eugenie FRASER. Got it for a couple of dollars on thrift books.
    Now I have to get that magazine you bought and look up about the "sift" magazine.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! I just ordered Fall by Susan Branch and I have several of her other books too....love! I will follow her blog...thank you! I looked up SIFT and Fall is like the 4th issue....where have I been? It is a gorgeous magazine and full of yummy things in the true "no non-sense, quality ingredients" King Arthur fashion! LOL! I love their blog too!

      Delete
  4. I am reading blogs and magazines! Just like last week! This week I am watching The Big Short a very interesting movie. It is over two hours long so I have to finish it later today! I have also been watching Bachelor in Paradise...LOL...what next! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podcasts....that's what's next for you! LOL! I am writing down your suggestions for movies although I only watch 1 movie a week on Friday nights. DWTS's is coming but I don't know when. I canceled satellite so I won't get it but thinking maybe I could watch a taped version on You Tube the next night? Not sure if they'll let me...we'll see. This was not the year to cancel I guess with football, the Olympics, the election and now DWTS's. Will I buckle?

      Delete
    2. I just lost my entire comment back to you....anyway, I am writing down the movies you suggest although I only watch 1 per week. I'm not sure I should have canceled satellite this year...with the Olympics, football, DWTS's and the election.....will I buckle?

      Delete
    3. Evidently you won the prize! 2 comments for you! Crazy Google or crazy me?

      Delete
  5. I need to read more Maisie Dobbs. I'm currently trying to finish my stack. I finished The Charm Bracelet yesterday. I have The Obsession by Nora Roberts up next. I still have at least three books on my nightstand that have been renewed once already. I'm listening to Pride and Prejudice. I'm halfway through. I really like listening to it (second time as first time was on Youtube) and Blackstone Audio does a good job on narrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stefanie! I didn't know you could find audios on You Tube! Thank you so much! There are so many times when I would rather "listen" to something than try and watch...like when I'm ironing or doing some handwork or cooking etc. That is great! Also, could you suggest an affordable portable way to listen (like joggers use) for audio podcasts etc. I know nothing about those gadgets but would like one if they're not too pricey. You're young so I figured you would know best AND you jog! LOL! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. You and I could share books if we lived close to each other! I love so many of the same authors. I even read a book recently by the first author you mentioned. It was short stories. And I tried to read A Spool of Blue Thread but I just couldn't get interested in it and stopped reading. Too many other books I wanted to read. I need to buy a Victoria magazine. I always loved those! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many books is right! I've been trying to finish several series...Maisie and Harry Potter and then I want to reread The Mitford books and then there's Alexander McCall books. Yes, we like the same for sure. I got going with A Spool of Blue Thread last night so we'll see...I have to finish them once I start because sometimes the ending ties it all up but we'll see. I always love your suggestions but unfortunately our library rarely has the books I'm looking for. I have an order coming from Thrift Books so will post Monday or sooner if they get here!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!