Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving - Episodes 1, 2 & 3

I was planning on starting to cook on Wednesday but unexpected calls and complications derailed those plans.  Not a biggy...it's just me and the girls so I figured I'd get up early Thursday and hit the kitchen but when I awoke I wasn't feeling great but thought I'd "forge ahead".  I watched the Macy's parade (like I have since I was a child or since they invented t.v.....I'm not sure which came first) and threw the pie together with my homemade pumpkin that I had baked and at the very end threw a can of evaporated milk in.  I forgot to put it on my shopping list but the heavens were with me (or so I thought) as I found a can in the pantry.  I gave the can the usual old-fashioned method of 2 triangular cuts on each side of the top and proceeded to pour it in when I noticed the color didn't look right and some gloppy stuff started coming out of the can.  I looked for an expiration date and it was April 2011!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I ruined the whole dang pie and the stores were closed here and that will serve me right for not checking and "pitching" out of date items in my pantry!  So, instead I made the mincemeat pie and whipped the whipping cream with sugar and vanilla to go along side of it.  
I went ahead and made the dressing from Robin Mather's book that I've been obsessing about.....The Feast Nearby and evidently didn't look at the amount of servings because this is what I ended up with...........
Robin said to use a large bowl to mix it in....I had to use the bottom of the roasting pan to mix it I had so much!  Evidently it serves 12-14.....I thought she said she was a having Thanksgiving alone?  Evidently not when she made this recipe! LOL! 
I think I also used too much bread but she said 2 loaves...next time one will suffice for me.  It made several casserole dishes and 3 quart freezer bags full!  I froze all but the small one and prayed I would like it as there was so much of it!
 By that time I was really tired and decided that God was trying to tell me to relax and take it easy so I did.  I watched some football (Iowa State was on but they lost to West Virginia...this day was not going well!) and I knitted.
The neighbors had a "boatload" of company and they brought over a big container filled with everything anyone could want on Thanksgiving Day!  No dessert though but I had that covered!  I poured a nice glass of wine and enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving!  I hope you all did too!
P.S.  Let that be a lesson to you (and especially to me).....clean out your pantry and cupboards and get rid of all expired items! LOL!  Now you know why I don't entertain....it's dangerous  business!  If you ever get an invite from me, be afraid....be very afraid!
P.S.P.S.  The mincemeat pie was SO easy and SO delicious!





5 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! Wish you had been here to share our meal! Sounds like you will be having some good dressing for a while though, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, poor Sam. Really hope you liked the dressing. Looks like you are going to have some around for a while. Glad you have good neighbors who thought of you and glad you were able to relax.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would a holiday be without a cooking mishap. I could not find the bag of giblets when I cleaned the turkey and prepped it but hubby found it when he was carving it. gross right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh. I hope you are rested and relaxed today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You cooked up enough for a small army! Good thing you have a freezer!
    I have also learned to crack eggs in a bowl before adding them to anything..I ruined Pumpkin Bread one year when I was in a hurry..a rotten egg..yuck. I was fit to be tied.
    Looks like you have been busy with your projects too:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!