Sunday, August 11, 2019

YOP Week #6

                                                       


Crafting and reading have "saved" me this week because a girl can only work so hard before she has to take a break!  I still have not been able to go a day without tears.  I don't think I have ever cried this much in my life.  Can you get dehydrated by crying too much?  I drink a lot of water anyway so I'm probably okay but the thought did cross my mind between the tears and the blowing of the nose.
Anyway, I am good and so is my crafting.........
I had to start my Helix Hat over so I chose to start with the darkest color this time...........it's going well except the brim seems not too elasticky (?)  I did a K1P1 rib as suggested in the pattern.  Is that not a good rib or could it be my yarn?  Red Heart acrylic worsted.  I remember I did a hat for my grandson and had that problem.....hmmmm.  Let me know if any of you have experienced that "stretched out" ribbing?  Anyway, I'm almost done with the hat part and will start decreasing shortly.....this is a fun, easy, stash busting knit too!  No endless ends to weave in either!  I highly recommend this pattern!

 Remember when I said I wanted to crochet an afghan to match the cross stitch My Granny's Afghan?
  Well, of course I couldn't wait until I was done with the whole cross stitch and actually it is better this way while I have the floss gathered for each square...........
I took the top left corner square and matched up the Stylecraft DK yarn I had to the floss.....it took a while but  it was actually fun...........



I was amazed at how close most of them came...........and here's the almost finished square #1....I haven't decided if the tan will be a round and if I will join at the end or join as I go.....any suggestions are appreciated from you expert crocheters out there..........

Here they are next to each other..........of course there won't be that spot of color in the very center but I can live with that.

I didn't get to all the daily cross stitch projects but I got to a few of them............
Santa Sunday from last Sunday.........I love the hand dyed red floss for his robe.........

I worked on monthly Monday...........

and Witchy Wednesday............
I am hoping to do some sewing this week...I thought I would today but needed to do some cooking so I would have something to eat..........
egg salad from these gorgeous eggs from the farmer's market........all different colors even pale blue........

and I made Mediterranean salad...my favorite salad in the summer time..........

I also got some reading done...I read the first book in the Susan Wittig Albert China Bayle's mystery series..........it was good but I like her Beatrix Potter series the best but I will try another one..........
I will have to read 10.6 books a month to meet my Good Reads Challenge....oh boy!
I have read this series but only a few of them and so I am starting over as it was years ago....they are very good and especially if you are a quilter..........this is the Elm Creek Series.........I am thoroughly enjoying it even more than the first time..........

This coming week I hope to 1) finish the Helix Hat, do another granny square to match the cross stitch one, work on putting crocheted basket together and keep up with my "daily" xs projects.  I need to check my project list and ensure I incorporate it into my daily chore list.
That's all for this week...I hope you all had a good one! 
Happy Trails!!!


Please stop by here and see all the other beautiful makes from the Year of Projects group.




16 comments:

  1. Sam, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be crying some every day. I am rather in awe that you are getting things done everyday as your broken heart probably wants to pull you down. Hugs to you, friend.

    Your granny squares matching your cross stitch picture is genius. That will be really enjoayable to watch come together. Both projects should keep the other going! The thought that I have about the hat ribbing and the yarn is that it looks tightly done (for the thickness of the yarn). And I wonder if that is what's causing the stretched out-ness. I'm still a beginner hat knitter, though, so take that for what it's worth. I will say... while I'm a Red Heart Super Saver fan for blankets (because it softens nicely when washed and machine dried), I'm not sure I'd pick it for a hat. Maybe Red Heart With Love, but some Super Saver colors are less squishy and soft than others. Some scoff at that, but I have a lot in my stash and I believe it's true. That said, I've seen a lot of folks use it for knitting hats. I also wonder about the width of the ribbing. If that could lead to it stretching out at the bottom. I'm curious what expert hat makers have to say because I'd love to knit more hats and would like to learn from others' experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I can't thank you enough for your uplifting comments. It has truly helped and you are all like a life raft to me....bless you.

      Delete
  2. Those daily tears are not going to dehydrate you. Although the thought made me smile. You cry all you want. You have been through so much in such a short time.

    I am very impressed with what you accomplished this week. As for the hat, k1p1 rubbing is normally a tighter rib and hold it shape better. Did you start it with a needle 1 size smaller than the crown? That can help make the ribbing tighter. Have you tried it on your head to see if it's too loose? Love the idea if the crocheted bedspread to matches the cross stitch. Those colors are darn near spot on. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did start with a smaller needle for the rib and then went up a size for the hat itself. Maybe it will be okay once I get it off the needles. I should know soon!

      Delete
  3. Your granny square is just perfect! Those are great colors! Be good to yourself, you have been through alot in a short time. Thinking good thoughts and prayers for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...you all don't know how much I cling to your words of support and encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I love how you're matching yarn to your cross-stitch. I love both projects. I am a great fan of join as you go. I detest sewing squares together at the end. I can't believe all you are getting done. I have found that sometimes I need to go up or down a needle size to get a tighter ribbing than the rest of the hat, depending on how the yarn is behaving.
    I am praying for you every day my dear Sam. I can only imagine how hard it can be each day for you. I am glad you have your hobbies to keep you busy along with all of the chores that you do each day.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement. I don't know where I would be without them. As for the needles...I did use a size 6 for the brim and size 8 for the hat. We'll see...maybe it will be okay. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. When ribbing anything, I always go down a needle size. I like a 2kx2p for my brims and it seems to work well with chunkier yarns. You wouldn't be human if you didn't cry for your losses everyday in these early days. Keep going, grief is a long journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it is the k1p1 as I too am used to doing k2p2 ribs. We'll see when I get it off the needles. Thank you for your words of encouragement....I'd be lost without them...you guys are pretty much my only contact with the outside world! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Ps I love your Granny Square. I once crocheted a blanket with a mustard-coloured border and it was one of my favourite colourways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the color mustard and/or cheddar too!

      Delete
  7. Continued prayers for peace, dear Sam.

    I am the other way on Susan Wittig Albert. I like the China Bayles series better than Beatrix Potter. Maybe the second book will be better for you. She has written at least a dozen or more with China. I will admit there were a few in the middle which were not my favorite. I recently bought the last 4 at a garage sale and they are much better again. I think part of it might be that I think I would love to run a herb business.

    Your granny squares are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool idea to make the granny squares to match your cross stitch and the colour match is incredible. You won't dehydrate my dear. Tears are healing even if at the moment it is all just snot and puffy eyes. I think of you and your dear son often. I can't imagine your days, but I am glad to read your posts and hear how you are getting on. Much love to you and a proverbial shoulder to cry on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sam! You cry all you need to. Life is just so sad sometimes and crying is part of the coping process and I don't think you will deydrate you. You have been through a lot in the last couple of months and for that I am truly sorry. I am praying for you too!

    I have never knit an acrylic hat so I am not sure how the yarn/ribbing should be behaving... so sorry I am not any help in that department! And boy howdy... you sure did get that yarn and embroidery floss to match up darn near perfectly. What a clever idea to copy the cross-stitch into crochet.

    Be gentle with yourself this week--sending you love....
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. No you can't dehydrate through crying, you cry as much as you need to. Still sending all my love and prayers.
    I love the matching cross stitch to squares as I love all of your stitching. I agree with others about the ribbing, I think it is a combination of 1x1 and smaller needles. I'm sure it will be ok for this one then next time you can alter. It looks fab anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!