Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Are you cooking?

I spent Monday at the doctors (and Tuesday at Wal-Mart)...good news and bad news.....good news is my labs were all great and I am really healthy.  The bad news is my blood pressure has been creeping up and he put me on medication.  Not a lot, a low dose, but definitely blood pressure medicine.  I was so disappointed as I have tried so hard to eat healthy, exercise etc, but it's in my genes!  It's probably why I was feeling more energetic too.  High blood pressure means higher energy and low blood pressure makes for low energy.  Dang, I hate taking pills or medicine of any kind but I must admit my doctor is very sharp and keeps up on things but he also isn't a pill pusher so I know he has my best interests in mind. He was right about the dairy products too!  I've lost a few pounds and my cholesterol is excellent now!  He said, "See, I do know what I'm talking about."  and I said "That's what we pay you the big bucks for!" LOL!
 So, after all that, I went shopping for SUPPLIES in the big city.  Here's some of what I got.........Some self-sticking thimbles that are also reusable.  A scalloped cutting blade for my rotary cutter.
 some towels to embroider and a few panels to hand quilt.
 I was looking for something like this but wasn't expecting one with a grid on it...very nice!
 The quilt shop was very disappointing for the most part and had the same material as when I was in there 6 months ago.   Then I went to the Truck Patch, mostly organic, store and I am never disappointed with it!
 I got my shampoo and soaps....
 I got several boxes of these for Christmas presents......they are so good and I couldn't replicate these or trust me....I would!  The reason the imported cookies are so good is that they are still using the best ingredients....like butter and farm fresh eggs, etc. In the U.S.  it's all over processed and as artificial as possible....no pride in what they make just greed....lots and lots of greed.  Greed tastes terrible!  But these Almond thins are made in heaven!
 These are specifically for my SIL as he spent time in Spain when he was in college and probably had a lot of these.  They are also very good!  The are fried in olive oil and they are similar to the leftover pie dough that used to get rolled out and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon....except these are orange....my favorite!
 Good old Bob's great products.............
 and who can do without apple cider vinegar?
 and Annie's 25th anniversary mac and cheese.....yummmm!
 While I was gone these came in the mail for me..........a small quilt pattern
 and wool felt squares that were such a deal I couldn't pass them up!
 This was the sky this morning....rain on the way but I'm all tucked in and have all I need.  I just have to cook it now!  Oh, I got my organic turkey too.  I had my first one last year and it was the best  turkey I ever made so it was a no-brainer this year.  Happy Thanksgiving and I am so grateful for all of you!
Happy Trails!

7 comments:

  1. Such great stuff, except the part about your blood pressure, of course.
    I've been wanting to try those orange tortas, but as of yet, haven't .

    Yes.. it's baking and cooking day for me too.
    Turkey brining, and cranberry*orange sauce in the slow cooker.

    Have a great Thanksgiving!!
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s
    Glad you are on meds. to take care of the blood pressure. It will soon be under control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam i hope your blood pressure behaves itself and very interesting with the food so different to where we live,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure bought lots of good things...and good for you, too! I'm glad the appt went well and you're health is good. I have low blood pressure...but it's normal for me and my family. My hubby will cook the turkey breast on the grill, rotisserie and I'll make all the sides! Happy Thanksgiving my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving Sam! I take a small BP pill everyday too. I staved it off for years by giving up coffee...then it snuck back up on me. A sign of getting older!
    Good to hear the rest of you is okay!
    You had quite a shopping trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful sunset capture. And look at all those goodies! A definite pick me upper after having to get on meds. The genes are buggers, yeah? I know you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Sam! Happy Thanksgiving weekend. No cooking here. I had roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts and that tasted like Thanksgiving to me. :) Everything's changed now that everyone has moved away or the kids have gotten older. I'm okay with that. Life is ever changing, right. And we put too much emphasis on certain days of the year when really we should celebrate each and every day in some small way. My husband has been taking a small dose of bp medicine for a couple of years now. It makes him have to go to the bathroom a lot. That's what I don't like about medicine. There's always some sort of side effect. I don't actually agree with the numbers they set as everyone is so different. What they say is high in the States might actually be pretty normal elsewhere in the world. We get lots of Bob products here now, too. I've bought a few things to try out. A friend's father-in-law found out recently because of a foot injury that swelled up big time that he has a problem with high uric acid. The advice was no meat, no dairy. There's definitely something to be said for eating right and not buying all the packaged foods available now in the States. You are so right, greed is a horrible thing. And taking shortcuts rather than producing high quality products is just not okay. Hugs and blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!