Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Farmer's Market Wednesday and my brave neighbors..........

This week I didn't buy much as I just finished freezing beans and I have plenty of fresh vegetables to eat.  I did get peaches though!
I looked in my preserving books and saw nothing but canning and preserving with lots of sugar but I was really wanting to freeze fresh peaches "as is" so I could use them for whatever I wanted, be it to make jam for Christmas presents or peach pie or as I've mentioned....peaches and ice cream.  You find them in the stores; frozen fruit without any sugar.  So, I googled it and found a great recipe for freezing peaches without sugar yet also keeping them from turning brown.  I haven't used it yet but I will be using it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.  Pretty simple and straight forward actually.  So go out and buy yourself some fresh peaches before they're all gone!
Speaking of Missouri, I have been watching the events unfolding in my neighboring state and my prayers and heartfelt sympathy go out to the Brown family and all the residents of Ferguson and to all who have lost loved ones to violence of any kind.  Those who stand by and are complicit when there is wrongdoing should be held just as accountable as the wrongdoers.  It's the first time in history that Amnesty International has ever been called to the United States.  It's a very sad day in our history and if you think that your democratic rights can't  be taken away in this country.....think again.  Many of them already have been....just ask the people in Ferguson and many other places around this country.
Democracy is not something to be taken for granted.  There are many who gave their lives, limbs, and sanity to preserve it not only in this country but in other countries.  The least we can do is fight to preserve it here at home by taking a stand, having a voice, and doing our part.  I am proud of the people in Ferguson for standing up against injustice, for not giving in even when they were tired and had to go to work the next day.  They should be proud of being part of a community that stands together when tragedy hits.  When I was young I marched, carried signs and protested for rights that are now laws in this country.  I'm getting a little old for the marching now but I still consider myself an activist and I get online and sign petitions and write my elected officials and I VOTE in every election regardless how small.  Democracy is fragile and the young generations today need to realize that and not take it for granted.  March on Ferguson, march on!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the peach recipe! I may try it!
    I am all for peaceful demonstrations but when they riot and loot... well then they are asking to be killed, hurt or spend time in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the peach recipe :)
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello..
    So glad you were able to get some peaches before they are gone!
    Let us know how they turn out.

    As far as the news that we here from Ferguson, it seems to me that there isn't anything peaceful about it. I have to agree with the "Far Side of Fifty" blogger, above.
    Nothing can be resolved and no good comes from looting and rioting. How does breaking the law, and harming the community business owners help anything??

    I hope that everyone can take a step back, and come to a peaceful and justifiable resolution.

    Hate never did nor ever will, breed peace.

    Have a great day...

    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to buy peaches. I will have to save that recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen any peaches around here. We've been getting some mighty good cherries.

    I don't watch the news or read the newspaper. Only hear bits here and there on the radio when driving to school so had to google what is happening in Ferguson. Unfortunately, some people take a bad situation and rather than fighting for good, they wind up acting like lunatics so that the folks who want to create change can't because there is so much havoc being wrecked.

    I could very easily by the type of person that would fight for rights, but would never do anything illegal in order to do so. Absolutely no reason for an unarmed person to be shot 6 times, twice in the head, that's for sure.

    Have a good day.
    Tammy



    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those yummy peaches! I bought a bunch of them last week and I saw an ice cream recipe I wanted to make.. Turns out they were so delicious I ate them all.. :) Can't wait to see what you're going to make when you de-freeze them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!