Saturday, March 31, 2012

The BEST lemon dessert I have EVER had!!!!!

This may not look like much but it is in The Top Ten of desserts in my book and it is a new discovery!  The recipe was on Attic24's blog but of course since she's in England it was in metric and I didn't know how to convert it.  So, then I went "googling" for an American version but no luck but I did find a conversion chart and did the math and came up with a recipe based on another recipe I found as by now I was "dizzy in the head" and forgot about Lucy's recipe which started the whole thing!
Anyway, I ran to the store and picked up the superfine sugar and the lemons.  I always follow a recipe exactly the first time at least so I get the original results and then later I can tweak it or substitute and I have a basis of comparison.  I was nervous, as I wasn't sure if I had done the conversions correctly and it didn't seem like very much flour, but I trusted my math and forged ahead!  It was out of this world delicious!  IF you want a head over heels response from guests this Easter.....you should make this!  I had it with a cup of tea all snuggled in my bed last night!  I always eat my dessert in bed at night...and last night it truly was an extra special treat!  Thank you Lucy, although it wasn't her actual recipe she was the one that started the ball rolling!  So, here's my Easter gift to you!

The American version of the famous English Lemon Drizzle Cake
________________________________________
I used my Kitchenaide stand mixer for mixing this up.  It makes one loaf pan that I lined with parchment paper.  I baked it for 30 minutes or until done at 350 degrees.
1/2 C butter (really soft)  (1 stick)
3/4 C self-rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
the rind of one lemon grated (I use a micro plane and just the yellow skin...the white is bitter)
1/2 C superfine sugar
2 eggs
3-6 T milk

After whipping the butter, I added everything else and whipped it for no more than 3 minutes and much less really.  I wanted it incorporated well but also whipped it to get the eggs nice and fluffy. I poured it into my loaf pan and baked it for 30 minutes although it said 30-40 mine looked great at 30.  I had previously mixed up the syrup to pour on top which is merely the juice of 1 lemon mixed with 1/2 C superfine or granulated for the "frosting".  I looked at so many recipes and not a one of them were the same! LOL!
I used the superfine also for my frosting.  I just mixed it with a fork in a small bowl and poured it directly over the cake after it came out of the oven while it was still hot.  Some recipes I looked at later said you should poke holes in the top before pouring the frosting mixture on top but I didn't do that but I might next time.  You then let it cool and I took it out later and sliced it like pound cake although it is much more delicate and light and moist with the lemony goodness that soaked in....you are going to just LOVE it!!!!  I promise or your money back!  Oh!  You haven't given me any money! LOL!  But you'll want to after you taste this heavenly dessert!   You'll thank me for the best Easter you've ever had with this dessert!  Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit now but please try it...you won't regret it and actually it's super easy to make too!
I think I have to go have another piece now.....TTYL!

9 comments:

  1. Sam.
    What a trooper to go to all that trouble with charts and google searches, to the store for just the right thing. Well anyway thanks for doing all that. I do love lemon desserts so this looks like one I must try. In fact a piece right now would hit the spot.
    Pretty soon it will be bedtime and you can have another piece. Lucky you.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dessert in bed sounds lovely. All that work, this one definitely needed enjoyed in bed. It sounds delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm convinced, I'll be making this ASAP! Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea.. thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I love lemon! Will have to give this a try. Converting metric measurements is no easy task. I've had to do it quite often and thankfully with always good results. Except with this one book of one muffin recipe 100 ways -- both times I tried, they stuck to the muffin tin even though I sprayed with baking spray. Hard to find parchment paper here so hope that won't be a problem. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. Lemon is my favorite! I'll have to try this one. And eating it in bed is a fun idea. Thanks for sharing.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You convinced me with your narration. Haha! When I really want people to taste something extraordinary, I practically beg for them to do it. If you’re a fan of tea and lemon dessert, then I’m the type of girl who savors it with a glass of milk. Hmm, I bet this tastes heavenly!


    Berenice Ponder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this issue.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!


    Also visit my site: e-cigaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many choices out there that I'm totally confused .. Any tips? Appreciate it!

    Look at my page ... el cigaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!