Sunday, August 18, 2019

YOP Week #7




This week was not so "crafty".  I'm going outside early in the morning  and working and then watering before it gets too hot.  I do daily chores and errands in the morning and then ongoing projects in the afternoon.  I'm still going through my son's belongings....1 box or bag per day is all I can handle.  On breaks I worked on the helix hat and I finished it.


I still can't determine if it's the yarn or the k1p1 ribbing but either way the next one I make will be k2p2 and a different yarn for the cuff.  I haven't tried it on yet nor have I washed it or dried it.  Since my dryer is broke I won't know if that would make it rebound.  I may have to take a trip to the laundromat.  I'm pleased with it and it sure is a fun way to use up stash and even scraps of yarn.  I'll be making more of these for sure!
I planned on casting on my new socks and I started but realized the yarn felt awfully thin.  I checked the label although mostly in German but I made out "extra fine" and Googled it and sure enough it was a lace weight or "extra fine" as compared to 'fine' as in sock weight.  I was so disappointed as I have wanted some of that yarn for years now.  So, I got on Ravelry and looked for patterns for lace weight of a 100 gram quantity.  I did find several patterns but I didn't have the right needles.  I spent a long time looking at interchangeable needle sets.  The Knitter's Pride Dreamz seemed to be highly rated but I really like the Lykke needles.  I don't need to spend the money right now but I am so tired of not having the right needles when I need them.  We'll see.........meanwhile I decided to start this blanket.......to soothe my disappointment............it was in my pile of patterns that I had for this YOP year (it's a BIG pile) and I have the needles for it and I have some fingering weight yarn to get started.  I will be ordering some mini-skeins though too.  I've been eyeing this blanket since it came out so hopefully I'll have a little bit to show you next week.  Kim, didn't you start on this recently?  There's also a KAL but I forget with who....2 New Jersey gals who podcast...if I remember I will post it in here.  They're having a Sunday KAL for the blanket and it will be great for during the football games!  Supposedly it is very easy.
    I really didn't get much done, like I said but I am also organizing my yarn so I will know what I have "at a glance" hopefully when I'm done.  I did do a little cross stitch but not much of that either........Monthly Monday........

Stars and Stripes Saturday..........

I worked on Witchy Wednesday and the Sew She Did with the giant sewing machine but not enough to warrant a photo.
Oh!  I almost forgot....I worked on the Frida Kahlo basket!  I made a 'sleeve' for the bag stiffener which is Bosal brand fusible foam stabilizer made for purse making.  I hand sewed the 4th side with an invisible/blind stitch and then hand stitched it to the base crochet square.....I only have to do that 4 more times for the sides of the basket............this is the inside of the basket...........Frida Kahlo fabric

 and here is the outside of the bottom of the basket...........now that I have one done the rest should go a little faster?


I am going to update my YOP list and republish it next week so I have more definitive projects since I have finished a few and need to do some WIPs.
I made a strawberry spinach salad which was delicious but next time I will only put the dressing on what I am eating and not the whole salad.  It wilts all the spinach.  It is very good and healthy too.
This was a beautiful morning sky this past week............."pink sky at morning sailor's warning" but it never rained.............
I hope you had a crafty and productive week!  Also, thank you to all of you who sent me cards and have been praying for me and my family.  It has meant so much to me and it lifts my spirits.  It's a life changing event and I know I will never be the same but I am also blessed and grateful that none of the dear ones I have recently lost are suffering or in pain.  There's peace that comes with that knowledge.
 Happy Trails!!!



11 comments:

  1. I see that your life is taking on some semblance of normalcy after your son's passing. I can only imagine how how it is to go through his belongings but it is clear you have the spirit and support for it. I hope your dryer get fixed or replaced soon to make your life easier. I love drying things outside - but it is great to have the dryer when the weather turns to days and days of rain. Thinking good thoughts for you as you continue on this journey that no parent should have to tread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am rather amazed at all you are accomplishing - especially right now, Sam. I'm thinking getting outside early in the day is very good - both for the physical exercise your tasks are giving you and for getting some sun and fresh air. Your handwork projects are coming along. I had no idea that each section of the Frieda basket had to be stiffened - or how to stiffen such a project. You've given me some ideas for the future, I think. Now... I've never liked fruit in a green salad, but I have to say... I do think strawberry and spinach salads are beautiful, and yours is no exception. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Northeasterly Blanket looks like 'fun'. I remember someone doing it but can not remember who and if they ever finished it. So, now we will all have our eyes on you. That Frida Kahlo basket seems like quite a bit of work. I am sure it will be loved when you gift it though. Sounds like you have quite a bit of your son's things to go through. That can not be an easy thing to do. Hopefully you will have completed it soon. You seem to getting back into a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a northeasterly on the go but it’s very small because I can get 2 pairs of socks from one 100g/4oz skein so tend to only have minuscule leftovers. I changed the increase that’s on the pattern I remember but goodness knows where I made a note of it. You’ve Achieved a lot this week, all things considered, and such pretty projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you have accomplished a lot in the circumstances. Love the lining for the Frida Kahlo basket. That salad looks lovely, although it more soup weather here, winter (NZ) still has a strong grip, with snow on the ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are staying out of trouble! That afghan looks interesting! I admire you making a list...I am avoiding lists lately:)
    "Change what we can, and accept there are some things we cannot change." We are having tough days here, busy week with appointments in Minneapolis...hate the drive. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're taking it slowly with your son's things. More virtual {{hugs}} coming your way. I love that Northeasterly blanket. A friend in my yarny group was making it and it's really pretty in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have jumped right back "into the thick of things" since returning home haven't you? If you're like me, having some semblance of normalcy helps me in dealing with emotional heartache. It looks as though you are getting a lot done. The hat turned out great and I'm sorry about the yarn disappointment. I have the "Northeasterly" pattern too but haven't made it yet. I can't decide whether to use the ends of sock yarn balls or buy yarn dedicated to the blanket only.
    I understand the needle frustration too. I think I finally have most of the needles all ever need.
    Take care of yourself my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry....I have not been blogging and I have not been reading....I saw the mention of your son and I scrolled back....I am so sorry....alcoholism is such a prevalent issue in our society and yet our society also seems to center around alcohol. My father died from complications of it. My husband has been struggling mightily with his sobriety since his mother passed in October...One of the issues of why I have been absent so much this past year. Today he is sober again after another couple weeks binge. I am so so sorry...and I feel for you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many nice projects to work on . I am always praying for you my friend. (and I also wanted to let you know that a bad comment has come through in your post, All hands on deck) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PLEASE READ PLEASE READ PLEASE READ
    Hello everyone, i would like to share my experience on this platform. i have been hearing of Blank Atm for a while and i applied through a few people but i was scammed, not until i found Mr George who saved me from scammers, i got my blank ATM card in 5 days after application and tried the encrypted card in an ATM machine and pos cash store to my greatest surprise i was able to withdraw $3000 and that was the daily rate i applied for. to be honest there is no risk involved the card is not traceable and has an infrared signal that blocks off CCTV during your withdrawals. i just payed my daughters tuition fee and cleared my mortgage debts, i am also richer and started a business that is doing fine. Mr George is really a life saver and he is very genuine. You can contact him with this email address: georgewilder402@gmail.com

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!