Sunday, May 26, 2019

YOP Week #48


I'm not getting a lot of crafting done but I'm making some progress just not in the sewing department where I need to.   Thanks to Marsha,  I think I have the weeks straight now.  Regardless, there are only 4 weeks left before YOP 2019-20!  How exciting!
There's lots of gardening going on and outside work but it's getting hot so it has to be early morning or evening now.  We go right from the Springtime stormy/rainy season to summer hot and humid.  It's hard to work out there.  I go in and out a lot!

 WIPs (works in progress):
1)  Diamond Painting...yes, you heard me right.  Another hobby.  See how I can be enabled by others to go off on tangents?  Oh well..........if my calculations are correct there are 320 square inches of canvas which means if I do 1 square inch a day it will take over a year but if I do 4 square inches/day it will take like 185 days......so far I have only managed to complete 1 square inch! LOL!  Granted,  there are other sections that have part of them done but only 1 totally filled in square inch.

It's amazing!  Who ever thought of this is genius!  Plus, I think the numbers correlate to DMC floss colors but don't quote me.

2)  I finished the heel flap on my sock but that was it........
3)  I have done some cross stitching.......mostly because it is easy to pick up and lay down quickly........on breaks...............again, I need to get sewing and finishing some of these 'finishes' but that takes more time and attention than I have to give right now.  My #1 Stitch Maynia project......done except for final finishing.........
4)  Stitch Maynia #2.........done except for final finishing
5)  Stitch Maynia #3......almost done.........1 more snowflake on the top and 3 more on the bottom and then final finishing..............





Acquisitions:  None but there are several SAL's that I am interested in..all cross stitch related.
Stitching in Doodah is having one using The Blue Flower pattern
Priscilla and Chelsea have several going on
The Fat Quarter Shop and who knows what else?

New Starts Planned: they're all secret! LOL!

YOP Goals from last week:
*1.  work on sock #2
2. audition and cut fabric for Pickle Dish #6 of 11 solid ones
3. trim all completed xs
4. kit up house ornament
5. work on Frida Kahlo basket
6. kit up and start Summer cross stitch
7. measure Grayson's blanket and keep working on it!
8. plan July gifts to make

YOP Goals for this coming week:
1.  work on sock #2 heel turn
2. audition and cut fabric for Pickle Dish #6 of 11 solid ones
3. trim all completed xs
4. kit up house ornament
5. work on Frida Kahlo basket
6. work on Stitch Maynia #4 and finish
7. measure Grayson's blanket and keep working on it!
8. plan July gifts to make
9.  Work on Stitch Maynia #5
10.  Work on days of the week xs projects
11.  Diamond Painting at least 4-5 square inches

TOP 10 (or more) WIP's:

1)  Pickle Dish
2)  Stars and Stripes Saturday - America x-stitch - done but needs finishing
3)  Amy's Frido Kahlo basket (July birthday) - done but needs to be sewn together
4)  Pin's embroidery
5)  socks
6)  C2C blanket for Grayson (July birthday) 
7)  Monthly Monday - HRH January
8)  Witchy Wednesday - Button-Eyed Cat
9)  Fall Friday -
10)  Santa Sunday -Old St. Nick - done but needs 'finishing' work
11.  Turkey Thursday
12.  Seasonal Sunday -Summer
13.  Santa Sunday - new house ornament

 Finishes so far in 2018-19: 
1.  4th of July cross stitch pillow/ornie
2.  Hitchhiker shawl
3.  Felici Hibiscus self-striping socks
4.  Felted wool loafer slippers with leather soles for me Sam
5.  washcloth (extra large) and back scrubber for Christmas or birthday for SIL
6.   Iowa Hawkeye hats for Sam and Grayson
7.  Techniques learned so far this year: a) knit cast on, b) reading a knitting chart, c) lace work, d) inserting and using a lifeline e) charting a graphghan
8.   dishcloth(s)...I need to count them
9. Cubs hat for Uriah
10. 12 days of Christmas Advent gifts
11. Cowl for Ben
12. Cowl for Tracy
13. Cowl for Natalie
14.  # 2018 Collectible ornaments for the grands
15.  Cowl for me or gift basket
16.  11 scrubbies for gift basket
17.  1 pot handle cover for gift basket
18.  Ben's Bear's hat
19.  Falling Leaves Scarf
20.  Tissue Box Cover - 5 of them!
21.  Granny Square Shawl
22.  Kathleen Tracy doll quilt
23.  Pumpkin Spice Farm xs
24.  Spring xs


BTW....can anyone suggest a free collage making program?  I'd like to make a collage of each month throughout the last YOP year.  If you know of one I'd appreciate it!
Tomorrow is Memorial Day here in the states.  It is a day to honor all those who died in defense of our country.  I'm sure every country has something similar.  I hung up this star I got at Walmart and it lights up at night.  I'm hoping to make one of those 'flag' cheesecakes too!  Both my parents served in WWII.  I had a memorial rose garden for them on my little farm back in Iowa.  It contained all WWII roses.  Have a nice weekend!
 Please stop by and see all the other fantastic projects that other YOP'ers are working on.
Happy Trails!!!





8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of diamond painting before, I look forward to see you work on that. I love all the cross stitch, especially that Christmas one. As for a collage, I used to use picmonkey, I don't know if that is still free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial Day to you. Long weekends are great - even when retired! Diamond painting looks very cool and does remind me of cross stitch. I want to make a collage too so I will be following your replies to get some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a very good Memorial Day. I'm trying to be ever mindful of the reason we're remembering this day. It's not about camping, barbeques, etc., it's remembering those who served and died for us. Thanks for telling us about your parents and your memorial garden. That is a beautiful way to remember them. I hope whoever is on your farm now is keeping up the roses.
    Your diamond painting is going to be beautiful. I am NOT going to fall down that rabbit hole. I so easily want to try new things though.
    The cross stitch finishes are great too. I would like to make a bunch of little cross stitich pillows, ornaments, etc., and keep them on display somehow. I love that idea.
    Wishing you a wonderful Sunday. A storm-free one! :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam, You are as busy as ever! I know how outside stuff takes over:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, I used to use picmonkey when they offered a free membership, but when that ended I found Fotor. It's fairly easy to use, there's a tutorial to walk you through it, but I learned through a bit of trial and error. I use it to make collages and the little YOP banners. I read about your working outside and I am pooped. I haven't planted a single thing, haven't power-washed, haven't even swept the patio where we put outside furniture. I don't know what's up with me, but it's not my energy or motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of Diamond Painting before but never seen it Sam so it's going to be lovely and interesting watching you complete this project. All your other projects are coming on great as I know how busy you get this time of year in your yard and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw an advert for diamond painting on TV and thought I’d best not try it. It may be like jigsaws where I get totally consumed in doing ‘just a few more pieces’ and then Allistar comes home from work and finds I’ve not even got dressed or eaten in the last 9 hours 😂. I use PicCollage on my iPad for doing photo collages. I only have the free edition so it has their logo on the finished collages, but if you buy it then that’s removed. You can have grids or freestyle photo placement and there’s some backgrounds choices etc. I’ve not fully explored all their functionality as I mostly just do grids. Finally, I am like Becki and haven’t done any of this year’s garden chores, perhaps I’ll start today as it’s only 4°C here so ok for manual chores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked up Diamond Painting and it looks so very interesting. But I am afraid of doing any other projects. But that is one I would love to try sometime. You do so much outside. You have lovely flowers and trees everywhere around your hoemstead.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!