Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Turkey Tuesday and Irish Apple cake finally!

Beautiful day here in the Ozarks.  I wanted to get outside but again I was behind on other commitments I'd made to myself.  One being the Irish Apple Cake............this is before it went in the oven.  I had to 'jury rig' my spring form pan because the bottom is missing....I lined it with parchment paper and set it inside a metal tart pan...it worked fine...........
This is after it came out..............it looked great but the proof is in the taste............

after taking it out of the pan..................it's a  heavy, rustic style cake with lots of apples in it and not too sweet.....my kind of dessert!
I made the custard sauce and even though I tempered it I think I cooked it too long.  I stirred it the whole time but for some reason it curdled.  I did use Almond Milk but they say you can use it just like milk in recipes.  I also was very careful to 'temper' the eggs with a bit of hot milk before mixing them together.  It seemed fine but 4 minutes as the recipe stated might be a bit long for my burner.    It looks terrible but it tastes just fine.  But I would like to refine my custard making skills as it doesn't look too appetizing to have curdled custard sauce  on your cake....but that didn't stop me from eating a piece with a hot cup of tea!  What a treat!  I will be making this again! Next time I  may get whole milk just to be on the safe side!
I did other chores today but the cake took most of my afternoon. 

My grandson Sam, is reading The Boxcar Children series....I think there are 19 original and then ghost writers have added at least hundred more.  I had never heard of them but it sounded like a wonderful series that I would enjoy so I downloaded the first book and started reading it.....I love it!  I  guess I'm a kid at heart.
I also did some cross stitch on my Tuesday Turkey...........

BTW...if you want the recipe for the Irish Apple Cake you can get it here
Happy Trails!!!




10 comments:

  1. My girls loved The Boxcar Children! I am certain your Grands will too! Your cake looks great, who need a custard anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the boxcar children books. They have been around for ages lol That cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks absolutely delicious. I’m a sucker for anything Apple! We use almond milk in place of milk all the time. I don’t even buy regular milk anymore.
    Oh the Boxcar Children! How I loved those books as a child. I was reading them again a few years ago. I couldn’t find the whole series when I tried to read them again though. I must be a child at heart too!
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple cake has always been a favorite of mine. My recipe has a crumb topping that makes it good too. I think I may check a Box Car book out of my library. They were some of my favs growing up and I'd like to read them again! Happy Spring sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam wow you apple cake and custard look so yummy and i also havent heard of the Boxcar children,but the series sure does sound interesting. Well done with your cross stitch xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Boxcar Children books in the 60's. Someone a little older than me gifted me a bunch when they outgrew them. I have a few books from my childhood, but I don't think any of those were saved. Makes me kind of sad now... Your apple cake looks wonderful. And my kind of dessert, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to say to admin because you are sharing information to us through the website. This site is very helpful to all. Keep posting and sharing with us. I have some site related to you. Thank you

    Avast Login
    garmin.com/express
    avg.com/retail
    bullguard login
    mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you need to activate Norton antivirus for free then in that case it is advisable that the user enters the Norton security in the search box further click Norton security in order to launch the desktop application further accept the license agreement further enter the Email address and then click “next.” If you still need more information or help then as for it from the experts. The experts are available at Norton support number UK.

    Norton Support Number UK
    Norton Help Number UK
    Norton Customer service Number UK
    Norton Helpline Number UK
    Norton Phone Number UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks For Posting And Good Useful Information Call on Aol Helpline Service Number UK to get instant and reliable help regarding resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best thing I have read so far over the internet. This particular website has always been very helpful for me.Yahoo mobile experience better on the Android app |
    How to get rid of kid mode on Netflix

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!