Saturday, March 16, 2019

St. Patrick's Day Eve!!!

I washed up all the fresh veggies and fruits I bought yesterday.  There was so much in the produce department I wanted to buy but I wouldn't be able to eat it all before it spoiled.  There were artichokes and asparagus and there were probably strawberries from Florida but I didn't even look!  You could just tell it was all so fresh.  Here's what I did get.........seedless red grapes.....I've been snacking on them all afternoon........so good!

Some kind of 'new' melon...I thought it was just a cantalope...I'll like it as I love melons of all types.........



radishes and a cucumber that's in the frig along with some organic avocados (another first at Walmart)
 These radishes had all their leafy green tops but I trimmed them up for salads........
and of course the apples for the Irish Apple cake which did not get made today.......
 Instead I went outside it was so gorgeous and prepped my seed tray which took more time than you can imagine............the seed starting mix is so light that you have to keep pushing it into the little holes for the seeds and then water and leave it and then go back (tomorrow) and see if it has sunken.  I have watered in the past and it just bubbles up and goes all over the soil is so light....lots of vermiculite.  Back in the day I used to make my own and maybe I'll get to that point again but for now I just want to get some seeds going.  I know I'm already late. 
I'm already with craft sticks to mark them and my seeds...although I know have more somewhere....I just saw them...now if I can only remember where?
I know I've shown this before....a gal I order from up in Iowa sells these for around $10 I think?  Anyway, it is the nuts for misting plants and perfect for the seed starting mix as it doesn't drown it or blow it all over the place. Her website is here
She uses it for ironing and quilting but also tea dyeing which I didn't think of!  Plus, yarn dyeing.....oh, the possibilites are endless!  I love mine and I may order another one.  You can read more about it on her website.   She's a great gal and her customer service is awesome!

That's all for today...I'm going to force myself to do my 5 minute pickup and 15 minute de-clutter and then it is supper and relax and watch Priscilla and Chelsea's podcast!  Exciting huh?  It is for me and all the excitement I need or want! LOL!
Happy Trails!!!


3 comments:

  1. Water your trays a few times before you plant in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will...that's why I didn't plant yesterday. I let it sit overnight to soak in and I'll water again today several times before I plant. I am late though but I can't remember for what! LOL! All I remember was I used to plant celery and another veggies in January but I forgot after that. I used to calculate from the last frost date backwards based on how long it took from planting until harvest but it's been awhile. I have to look at my see packets and keep a record. Stay tuned...I may need more advice! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Happy seed planting, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Best of luck with your seed planting.
    This is the first year in what feels like my entire life, that I'm not starting seeds.
    As we are going to be moving, I will focus on the perennials this spring, and not start anything new.

    Have a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!