Thursday, December 6, 2018

Blogmas Day #6 - December 6th

How are you today?  What's the weather like where you are?  It's rained here on and off all day.  I'm so glad I went shopping yesterday which was beautiful.  Before I forget here's your little bit of Christmas for today............Connie, I could not help but think of you and how cool this would look in your log cabin!  The link to the instructions are here
Actually you could use what ever material you want but I just happen to have an old black and red buffalo plaid sheet that I saved from when my sons were at home...hmmmm........but not now....I should make a list for next year that I can work on starting in early 2019! LOL!
I spent the entire day finishing, packaging and labeling my daughter's Advent gifts.  So glad we only did the 12 Days of Christmas and not 24!  Whew!  It was fun and enjoyable but it seems I am always behind the 8 ball no matter how well I plan. 
I wish I could show you them but you'll have to tune in this Sunday for YOP to see them all....but here's a Thursday thrifty tip.................I get packing paper in many of my deliveries and it looks like this............in fact it looks like a long snake all twisted up....so.........I smooth it out and iron it....yes, I iron used tissue paper too...........
and it ends up like this...not perfect but usable and I use it for wrapping paper.......I have not bought wrapping paper for years...probably at least 15 or 20?  I still have some leftover paper from when my kids were young!  You can stamp it with designs or use as is with some twine and  other little decorations.  I also discovered that there are perforations on the paper about every 20 inches or so.  I separate the sheets and then I have a pile of them for wrapping.  I also save bubble wrap to reuse.  Can you tell I was raised by parents that went through the depression?  But I am grateful to have been raised that way and after the last recession there are many that are embracing that way of life.  I think they will be better off for it too and so will the planet!  My Mother used to say "waste not, want not".
Here's the Advent gifts....all 12 of them.  Tomorrow I will find a suitable box (yes, I save those too for just such an occasion) and pack it up, label it and go to the post office in the next town to mail.  Just in time too because we have winter storm warnings for tomorrow night and Saturday....snow and freezing rain.  I will have gotten it all mailed just in the nick of time!  Then it's on to the Christmas gifts for the rest of the family.

I'm off to get my jammies on and throw my pizza together...I can't wait to sit down and relax!  What have you been up to today?
Happy Trails!!!

8 comments:

  1. Stay warm during the coming storm. We have had rain off and on all day. We barely made it to 60 today. So for us it is cold.

    Looking forward to Sunday to see the 12 days of Christmas. You always have such clever ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are kindred spirits. I save everything, too. Even paper that is stuffed in the toes of new shoes. It gets used as wrapping papper. And I save the shoe box for storing things, or upcycling or filling with gifts for others. I also save all glass jars but am overloaded now so really need to start making cookies and filling them up to give away. I had a fabric wreath like that many, many years ago that I bought at a craft show. My wire haired fox terrier, Scooter, got a hold of it and it there was fabric scraps everywhere. What a mess! Your daughter is a very lucky gal. I look forward to seeing what you put together for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can’t wait to see what is in the 12 days of Christmas box. I’m a lot like you. I reuse every box that I get anything in. I have even been known to use cereal boxes to wrap gifts in. Our use the brown paper grocery bags to wrap presents in. I remember using grocery bags as our book covers in school. My parents lived through the depression and taught us that you don’t throw anything away if there is any use for it at all. Stay safe and inside tomorrow. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for wrapping paper! My aunt, who had 7 children and a lot of gifts to wrap, used to save the Sunday paper funnies all year and wrap their Christmas gifts in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am like you with the wrapping paper. One year I gave gifts in reused clemintine boxes. I would like to sew fabric bags one year, that are reusable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that wreath. I made a little rag banner to put on my baker's rag. They are fun to make! I had a good day...happy trails for me. I hiked and came home and bathed and put on my flannel pjs! We would have fun hanging out together, wouldn't we? Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool wreath! It would get wet in my wreath spot...but It is a great idea! I reuse tissue paper too. My Mom used to iron all the wrapping paper that came into our house:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wreath, too, Sam! And Yay! that you got your daughter's Advent gifts ready to send. I look forward to seeing everything in one post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!